SEVEN DAY ROGUELIKE 2012

Pages: first 12 next last

This year: March 10th - March 18th

The Seven Day Roguelike event is a exactly what it sounds like: you create a rogulike RPG in 7 days. The objective is to create a full game in a very limited amount of time. It's pretty similar to the game jams/marathons you see around here, but with a limited genre. This is all run through RogueBasin (I'm not involved in planning or anything) Here's the wiki page:
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php/Seven_Day_Roguelike_Challenge

I figured I'd post this here as a heads-up for anyone looking to get into roguelike development that hasn't tried already. For those who haven't heard of roguelikes, the basic idea is that the entire game is procedurally generated, and once the player character dies, it's gone for good and the player restarts in a newly generated game world. I like a few of these games (ADOM especially) and it's sort of an underrepresented genre around here.

My results last year:
Deep Realm Heroes - the most basic bare-bones roguelike you'll ever play
Golden Age - Endless Dungeon - the same engine plus a month of work, and the art of miracle man Enker
So it's definitely possible to get something interesting, and if you screw up, who cares? It's only a week.

So post if you've got ideas or might be interested. Hopefully there will be a couple RMN entries.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll be working with Enker this year on a sci-fi roguelike.
I enjoy these games the first and second times I play (Descension hosted here for instance), but it gets boring real quick to me.
I'd be interested in this event if straying away from the boundaries of "rogue style" is allowed so I could present different/unique movement and battle mechanics and include story progression (but still keeping the core concept of it, which seems to be "randomly selected maps with randomly generated items, foes, Action RPG battles").
author=Avee
I enjoy these games the first and second times I play (Descension hosted here for instance), but it gets boring real quick to me.
I'd be interested in this event if straying away from the boundaries of "rogue style" is allowed so I could present different/unique movement and battle mechanics and include story progression (but still keeping the core concept of it, which seems to be "randomly selected maps with randomly generated items, foes, Action RPG battles").

The event actually has a sort of "contest" portion to it (not really a contest, just a team of reviewers who score games). They evaluate both for roguelike-ness and for innovation, so there's some room to play with the genre. There've even been a few games with static maps, though I don't remember any that used ARPG mechanics. I'd be interested to see one though!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hmm, actually, I might try. I don't really want to learn a new engine in the eight days I have before the contest starts, so the trick will be figuring out how to randomize maps in RPG Maker. Doing it so each individual map is static, but they're strung together randomly into maze-type dungeons of 20-30 maps each, is pretty doable even without scripting. Maps actually generated tile by tile on the fly are... less doable without scripting.
Give Hexatona a shout! He loves roguelikes (and has even posted his roguelike here on RMN).
Hmm, I've got a roguelike brewing, but ain't no way it'll be done in 7 days, or even 7 weeks. (or maybe even 7 months)

I'll have to check out your roguelikes. I didn't know anyone else around here was making them.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
March 10th? Interesting, would have to take a look into it and plan something up. I'd be interested in doing something for it!

HP 30 / 30
Food 0 / 100 (Ocean ate it all)
I'll participate unless I get swamped with work on that particular week (right before finals, blegh). I've been planning on doing a roguelike anyways, so this can be sort of a practice run.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I'm trying to get my plans and concepts all together so when the time comes, I can just work in the editor and hopefully get it all out. I hope I can get it done in time!
I think I could use teleporter events and variables to at least get it to choose random maps. Because I can't use a dungeon generator in RM2K3.
I just came up with a fine little pre-prod document so I might really give this event a try.

I'm currently wondering what would be the simplest way to make the roguelike "sight" effect under 2k3. I'm thinking about having parallel process conditions check if enemies are within the player's sight range (no. of tiles, x y position). If they are, activate a switch that shows the enemy's sprite in its event page (copy/paste its "move/action" page. First page has no sprite, second page has one).
Would there be a better way to do this?

(also I'll use a Picture for the lighting effect)

EDIT: Oh I have another important question... Just how can I completely hide (make black) the tiles the player didn't come close to? If this is too much trouble to make in 2k3, I might not bother with it. I think it would be easy to make with an event for every tile but it would lag horribly.
Poor 2k3 users. That sounds like a royal pain.

If you guys are serious about this, I'd take full advantage of the clause which permits the use of existing code, existing art, etc. If you look at past entries, most games were done with ascii graphics and equally primitive interfaces, so RPG Maker users have that much more work ahead of them.

Hell, I'd prob'ly be willing to share my dungeon generation code with those of you using RMXP to help get you started, although it is still a little rough around the edges.

For fog on RMXP, I've been using Wachunga's Fog of War script. It doesn't work quite the way roguelike fogs usually works, tho, since it doesn't take into account walls and things that can block sight (it was designed for RTS games), but I dunno how much that should matter.

author=Avee
I just came up with a fine little pre-prod document so I might really give this event a try.

I'm currently wondering what would be the simplest way to make the roguelike "sight" effect under 2k3. I'm thinking about having parallel process conditions check if enemies are within the player's sight range (no. of tiles, x y position). If they are, activate a switch that shows the enemy's sprite in its event page (copy/paste its "move/action" page. First page has no sprite, second page has one).
Would there be a better way to do this?

(also I'll use a Picture for the lighting effect)

EDIT: Oh I have another important question... Just how can I completely hide (make black) the tiles the player didn't come close to? If this is too much trouble to make in 2k3, I might not bother with it. I think it would be easy to make with an event for every tile but it would lag horribly.

If you mean just LoS stuff, I'd go with an overlay. Make sure all your maps have 10 free squares on left/right, 8 free squares on top/bottom, and then just use a mask to limit LoS.

If you're trying to make the sort of growing map thing, then I'm not aware of a good way to do it. All those events would lag horribly... Keep in mind this isn't one of the defining features of a roguelike, just something that most have, so there's no obligation to do it.
I wanted to go for the growing map type but thanks anyway. I haven't tried to code it yet though, so who knows. There might be a way.
Thanks for letting me know it isn't a defining feature of roguelikes. I thought they all had that.
I'm pretty sure rpg maker users can use a workaround method by making a good portion of maps, number them, then randomize it through the use of values/switch/etc. Same goes for items placement, enemies, and everything else. Dragon quest monsters 1 did this trick and it became very noticeable later on in gameplay.
author=Overload
I'm pretty sure rpg maker users can use a workaround method by making a good portion of maps, number them, then randomize it through the use of values/switch/etc. Same goes for items placement, enemies, and everything else. Dragon quest monsters 1 did this trick and it became very noticeable later on in gameplay.

Yes, I use the same method here as in my other game:
We can randomly set a map to teleport to when changing floors, and upon entering a new map we can set variables to determine what enemies/items will be generated and randomize a unique location for all of them.

I'll probably share my coding and sandbox roguelike project here once I'm done making it.

I tried figuring out the growing map thing but it seems impossible within reasonable measures -_-
Well, everything's moving right along:
author=psy_wombats
May I ask what engine are you using?
author=Overload
author=psy_wombats
May I ask what engine are you using?

The game's homemade in Java. I'm stealing a lot of code I wrote for 7DRL last year so I can make a more interesting game though. If you're interested and have a working knowledge of Java, I can probably provide the framework.
It looks similar to your last game, which is enough to sell me. You're gonna have one of the better games out there due to actually sporting graphics. Tiny '#'s and '@'s don't do much for me, but I can't look at a screenshot like the one above without getting that good ol' dungeon-crawl feeling. "Must...crawl...."
Pages: first 12 next last