ALTERNATIVES TO TYPICAL RPG BATTLES

Pages: 1
I'm considering abandoning the default battle system, being creative, and making one of my own. What are some of the more creative ways of battling monsters that you've seen?

One that comes to mind (for me at least) is evented chrono-trigger style battle system from The Longing Ribbon. That was pretty slick.
If you're considering abandoning the default battle system, I think the most important thing to ask yourself is why you want to do so. What annoys you about the default one? What things that you would like to do are impossible to do with the default system?

Personally I hate it when battles simply become a matter of mashing the space bar endlessly, so I like any system that discourages that type of behaviour and rewards more creative thinking. I also enjoy it when monsters behave in a believable fashion. Too many times they're simply an obstacle that the player doesn't really care about; Give them instinct and a reason for fighting the player. They shouldn't just be a cheap way to lengthen game time!

One other thing that I feel is important is that the battle system should make sense with your game's plot and background. You may have invented a pretty neat mechanism but if it's not connected to the game in any other way than just battles then I feel like it's a wasted opportunity of enriching the game's flavour. Think FF7 for example, Materia use was important not only for battles but it came up in the plot as well.
In one of the games I was making I made a battle system which involved you not fighting at all. You had a companion with you who would do the fighting for you. When you walked in dungeons your companion would go after the enemies and fight them. You just had to avoid them and wait for your companion to finish them off. He was your knight in shining armor!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
rhythm combat with plastic instruments

saving the world with the power of rock and roll
I attempted a custom battle system that tried to implement environmental benefits (like using props around the area in different ways, or interacting with certain enemies in different ways). It was crap, and took up about 3-4 months of development time I wish I had back.

Sometimes the best bet is to simply edit the default system, and manipulate it to do things that it regularly wouldn't. There are a lot of interesting and creative ways to do this, and you'll surprise yourself with how many things you can come up with.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I just wanted to say I wouldn't call copying Chrono Trigger, or any commercial game, "creative." Cool, sure. Fun, sure. But the exact opposite of creative.

If you really want the Chrono Trigger battle system, I recommend getting RPG Maker XP and using Atoa's Custom Battle System. It is the highest quality battle system I've seen of that type, and allows battles that look and work exactly like Chrono Trigger if you want, plus a ton of customizable options if you want something sort of different.
A friend of mine once made an RPG with rhythm combat. It was hilarious.

If you've got a creative idea for a battle system and think you can pull it off, please do so. Boring battles is the number one reason I quit playing an RPG.
author=LockeZ
I just wanted to say I wouldn't call copying Chrono Trigger, or any commercial game, "creative." Cool, sure. Fun, sure. But the exact opposite of creative.

Well it wasn't EXACTLY Chrono Trigger's Battle System. It just reminded me of it.
Assess why you need battles. Maybe you don't need battles at all? Maybe you want puzzles, or maybe a series of traps to avoid. I dunno. If you want an alternative to battles, perhaps look beyond the scope of different types of combat.
Pages: 1