THOUGHTS ON THIS LEVELLING/STAT SYSTEM?

Pages: 1
I was just looking for some feedback/opinions on this idea for a level-up system, if it sounds like it would be interesting, or if it sounds lame, any ideas or things to improve?

Basically, You gain GP (growth points) after every battle, and you use the acquired GP to equip items called Growth Augments. You can only equip one at a time and each augment has a specific chart that it follows, giving stat boosts along the way. For example say, you have and equip the warrior augment (which will focus on hp, strength and defense only), it has a chart like this:

(50gp)- HP + 40, Str + 1
|
(200gp)- Str + 1, DEF + 1
|
(400gp)- HP + 40
|
(500gp)- Evolve and level up.

When you evolve this augment, you keep stats gained from it (by this point, 80 HP, 2 Str and 1 Def), Gain a Level and obtain 2 new Augments which are evolved forms of the Warrior chart; Protector and Berserker, that you can now equip and use. Protector which focuses on HP and agility, and Berserker which will increase strength and defense.

You keep augments until you 'absorb' them so to speak, which is an option that becomes available once you gain enough GP to afford the cost at the end of the chart (in this case, 500). But even if you evolve them, (like the warrior type) you could find or purchase another of the same kind if you want to focus on those same stats/just want to have that chart again.
So they are basically like armor or an accessory, you continue to gain GP and the more you get the more you get enhanced by the current augment you have equipped. If you unequip it before you absorb it, you lose the stats but keep the GP. However, then you can equip a different augment using the same GP you have acquired and gain the bonuses from it. so say your lead character has 200gp to his name and in above example he equips the warrior type, he gets the HP + 40 STR + 2 and DEF + 1 boosts right from the start. However, if he unequipped it, he would lose those stat bonuses. If you reach 500gp (using the above example) and then chose to evolve/absorb it, then you would permanently gain those stats, actually level up, and gain 2 new augments (however, losing the current one) at the cost of 500gp.

Levelling up allows you to equip better augments, equipment and weapons. Some require you to be at a higher level to actually equip them, So if you never evolved any of them then you could never equip any other augments aside from the initial types.

But each one will have different GP costs, stat boosts, and so on. so if you don't have enough gp to evolve one, but you want more of a specific stat than others you could equip the proper augment for now to give you those boosts. (Like one might be more focused on HP and so you would get HP boosts inbetween, while another has more agility boosts, but for an upcoming battle the HP would be more useful so you can swap them out for now, etc.)

You will also always have new augments/charts because you always gain 2 new forms of the previous one (so you won't ever be stuck in a bind of not being able to level up just because you don't have the right items, as long as you always evolve them.). You will also find them throughout the game in dungeons and shops and of course sidequests to gain extremely rare types.

Its nothing super complicated but it lets you have some freedom on how your character develops and what stats you want to focus on.

Anyway, I'm pretty set on this idea but I would really appreciate any opinions or comments or criticism, because I'm always up for improving ideas or altering it if absolutely need be. Thanks in advance and for taking the time to read. :)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Don't really like the idea of being able to get 499 GP in one augment, then switch to another and master it in the next battle. I feel like that GP should only apply to the augment it was gotten in. So if you switch from warrior to archer you'll have 0 GP, but if you switch back to warrior again later you'll have your 499 GP in that augment still.

Also seriously consider calling the points experience points, or at least ability points, because uh that's what they are, and I'm kind of sick of every game having its own terminology for the same things. I kind of like actually knowing what the technojargon means when I'm playing a game, I don't want to feel illiterate. If not for the fact that augments can apparently be moved from one character to another, I would also recommend calling them classes.

Can a single character master the warrior augment multiple times, or just once? It seems like each one should be masterable just once per character.
The implementation is very broken. In most RPGs, the exp requirement always increases for every level up. It takes far more exp to level up from 20 to 30 than it takes to level from 10 to 20. This doesn't seem to be the case here. You can keep absorbing the same augment for 500 GP over and over. The game will break for most players in just a few dungeons.
You both brought up some really good points.

It was more of an example, though. Like I said, it wasn't meant to be classes or a job system because they are more like a weapon or an accessory (Because when I think classes or jobs, I'm thinking it changes their abilities and battle style as well, where this is basically like a weapon or just an equipment that enhances stats). They raise stats when equipped and lost when you don't have them. You also can't use the same one over and over, like I said, once it is evolved you move on to another augment, unless you never evolve them and just save your exp and use them as an accessory. I just used the term 'warrior' as an example for what kind of stats you are getting from it, just for the sake of examples.

Each character would have their own types, though they all obviously just focus on raising stats.

To better expand:

You have (example name: warrior) and it raises those stats above, but only as you gain GP (but I'll call it EXP, because if it is more user friendly, I'm not against some terminology here). If you don't evolve it once you have 500exp, you are not going to be able to get any new types of augments. Once you evolve it, you lose 500exp and it goes to a more advanced style and you go from level 1 to level 2 (if for the sake of example you start at level 1), therefore the next augment obviously costs more exp. So each character can only master a certain augment once, and then they get two new options in return. Each one is also different on how much overall exp it is required before you can evolve it. If you want to have the warrior augment again, you have to purchase another one all together or find one, and it will reflect on the fact that you have already evolved it, meaning it costs more exp before each bonus is presented and more exp at the end to absorb the stats. Like, each one isn't going to max out at 500, that was just for say.. that one type. It continues to require a higher a number as the game progresses and you get different ones. This was just a basic type off the top of my head.

Its kind of like in those games where you level up, and its like 'okay, which stat do you want to increase?', except that you can either double it over as an accessory (while you are earning enough exp), or you can trash it to absorb the stats permanently, which is basically the same as the other method I just mentioned. I do like the idea if you had to earn exp for each augment seperately instead of it carrying over if you decided to absorb a completely different one instead of the one you have equipped (and have been earning the exp with), but then again I don't want to force people to grind with each seperate one to level up..

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you make it so each character can only absorb the stats from each type of augment once, then you can make the better augments cost steadily increasing amounts of XP and solve Crystalgate's problem. What you definitely don't want is for people to get 500 XP with their warrior augment, absorb it, buy another, get 500 XP, absorb it, buy another, get 500 XP, absorb it, buy another. That's boring as fuck, seriously abusable due to costing the same amount of XP every time, and encourages the player to ignore all the wonderful potential variety of your system and just use one thing for twenty hours instead.

The idea of having to constantly switch to new ones to level up is actually ridiculously super appealing to me. Not only does it make the game constantly feel changing and alive, but it puts a cap on how much XP grinding you can do to become super powerful and overwhelm everything instead of using strategy. If XP grinding is optimal to do, I'll do it. So your job as a designer is to make it not optimal.
author=LockeZ
If you make it so each character can only absorb the stats from each type of augment once, then you can make the better augments cost steadily increasing amounts of XP and solve Crystalgate's problem. What you definitely don't want is for people to get 500 XP with their warrior augment, absorb it, buy another, get 500 XP, absorb it, buy another, get 500 XP, absorb it, buy another. That's boring as fuck, seriously abusable due to costing the same amount of XP every time, and encourages the player to ignore all the wonderful potential variety of your system and just use one thing for twenty hours instead.

For sure! I completely agree. I will definitely make the augments continue to cost more XP throughout the game as you level up and make progress.

author=LockeZ
The idea of having to constantly switch to new ones to level up is actually ridiculously super appealing to me. Not only does it make the game constantly feel changing and alive, but it puts a cap on how much XP grinding you can do to become super powerful and overwhelm everything instead of using strategy. If XP grinding is optimal to do, I'll do it. So your job as a designer is to make it not optimal.

You mean on the idea with giving each seperate augment its own XP? Or just this idea in general?
Pages: 1