NICOB'S LET'S TRIES/PLAYS! *REQUEST YOUR GAME HERE!*

Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=King of Games
These are nauseating.

Regardless, please communicate such a sentiment in a polite and constructive manner.
author=King of Games
These are nauseating.

Thread-shitting like this is more nauseating. You're welcome to make a Let's Play series and do better. Personally, I think these are great, and NicoB has been doing a hell of a job churning them out so fast.
Hey guys, sorry I haven't uploaded any new stuff yet today. I was too tired to record anything last night. But I've just finished up Princess Princess (which seriously has the most epic conclusion ever). I'll be uploading those vids later and starting some new stuff tonight.
? Guess Liberty doesn't do Let's plays anymore.
author=NicoB
Hey guys, sorry I haven't uploaded any new stuff yet today. I was too tired to record anything last night. But I've just finished up Princess Princess (which seriously has the most epic conclusion ever). I'll be uploading those vids later and starting some new stuff tonight.

Ballin'! *throws confetti around*
Here's the conclusion to Princess Princess:

PP - Part Seven - GETTING MY ASS HANDED TO ME

PP - Part Eight - EPIC BATTLE IS EPIC

PP - Part Nine - INSANE CONCLUSION AND OVERVIEW
Warning: Mega response incoming!

Remake of original - not really, just using graphics. I'm actually going to add a minimal amount of story to help you along but it'll be pretty open world, non-linear.

Menu - ha, they are all tile based actually. Link's graphic is changed to that red flashing cursor and that is what you are moving around. It looks that way in the main menu cause it's emulating the look of the original menu, then in the submenu you are moving around link cause the cursor doesn't really work in there.

You rushed through a lot of the text, which made me sad. I was hoping you'd take some time to look through the stuff in the submenu like Status, Usage Log, Options. Most of all I was hoping you'd go view the battle tutorial, it would have helped a bit with attacking. Although I was happy to see you naturally realizing the proper way to fight! It was my intent to put all that extra reading at the press of a button, but it's not required to make it through the game. So it's all good.

That glitch at the start...hah I'll have to figure out why that happened. Never saw that before but I can imagine why it did.

When you were in the submenu and you thought you broke it, it IS supposed to be like that. Link is forced to "look" at the menu option you will be choosing.

The first NPC outside, that asks to change the music volume.. Heh, there is only 2 settings; high and low. You can see it in the Jukebox in the upperleft corner. Continuing to press high doesn't increase it more and more. See, when I was making the game I noticed that when using headphones the music was way too loud and overpowered the sound effects. So I put in an option to help balance it out; the whole point of the volume option is for people using headphones(in the editor it turns on a switch HEADPHONES). If you were using speakers, then the volume should have been ok, so it sucks that the music was too low for you. This is an issue I'm still working to perfect. I think though, that the Windows volume mixer may have been an issue. Sometimes if you open the Volume Control mixer you need to adjust the bar for SW Synth(which is for MIDI files only), this is only in certain versions of Windows. I know the newer versions of windows don't have this ability. But, the good news is that in my latest version I did away with MIDI files and found identical MP3's, so the volume should be better balanced. I can't remember if I updated that download with the MP3's. So hopefully in the future sound volume is not an issue.

You should record a track of yourself singing the main theme for me to add to the game xD You're a rock star

You mentioned that you'd like to hold attack to keep swinging. That won't happen. I'd prefer that you try and be accurate with your sword swinging :P If you watched the battle tutorial you might realize how exactly to do that. You can only hit once at a time and constantly swinging leaves you more open to getting hit. But also later on holding attack button is used as strafe. Eventually the sword isn't the only/best way to deal damage so strafing and using candle to attack is a great strategy. Oh yeah, and spamming sword swings will actually cause minor glitches. Like when you picked up the ladder, you were swinging your sword, so the sword swing animation canceled out the hands-in-air animation. Swinging your sword will prevent you from picking up an item. These are limitations of 2k3 that I couldn't fix(I tried)

I actually never played Twilight Princess, so that statue pushing puzzle wasn't related to it. It is hard, isn't it? haha I even had a hard time solving it. I randomly put blocks down and tried to solve it. It took me like 30 minutes but when I realized it was indeed solvable I decided to leave it like that. I don't want everything to be pre-school difficulty but I will have the decency to leave those hard puzzles as optional.

the NPC that talks about a ghost on the beach, is refering to the rare enemy encounter. it just so happened that it didn't spawn for you, but when you enter a certain map there is a % chance that a rare monster appears. it was on the map with the blue tektite(jumpy spider), the once that had a the sandy tiles lining the water. in the bottom right area. if you move in and out of the map eventually the rare enemy would have appeared. it's something that would be fully explained in the final game.

the blue enemy had like 15 health or something, and your wooden sword does 1 damage. you mentioned that it wasn't working, you just needed to keep at it :P haha the ghost has like 30 health, you would have been cursing up a storm if you actually encountered it. it would have killed you in 2 hits, too xD

you mentinoed that he throws sword, yeah in the original when he's full health his sword shoots beams. i could probably add that in. i'll look into it...surprisingly it never even occured to me to attempt to implement that

i really wish you have would explored the submenu :/

about the menu/quick menu. the normal menu is map based. so when you press 1 and the screen scrolls to the menu you teleport to a new map. when you leave the menu you teleport back to the map you were on. if you were in the middle of a puzzle, the events would be reset and you would most likely break the puzzle or get stuck. also, if you are fighting enemies, when you tele between map and menu, they get reset. so, when you walk into a new room and there is no puzzle, you press 1 for the main menu. as soon as you attack a monster and deal damage, the main menu is blocked and it forced the quickmenu. when you enter a puzzle room, an autostart event blocks the main menu. its the downside to a map based menu, but having map based menus makes it easier to do all the extra feature stuff. i'll look into adding some more stuff to the quickmenu besides just changing equipment, although that's all that's needed during a puzzle/fight.

haha it seemed like when you were in the menu you forgot what buttons to press. it shows you in the upper left hand corner. a box says shift and has an animated arrow pointing to the left(meaning it moves to submenu). same with X pointing down(meaning it exits menu) and you never pressed star for tutorial info

in that dungeon where you found the melted key, the first room had 3 monsters(green, green, red). each one is matched to a locked door. when you kill one of them it opens the matching door. it removes the others meaning that you have a choice of which door to pick but you can only open one. you seemed baffled by that xD in this room you could leave and kill the other ones to open all doors, but sometimes you will only get to pick 1 door. just an obscure puzzle mechanic I though up

hahaha then in the room with the melted key...haha i'll admit that puzzle idea is fucked up. at 7~ second intervals the blocks are randomized. it's also scaterred with blocks you can push hidden amongst blocks that you can't push. it's a work in progress, i need to refine it to something that makes sense. it was literally the last thing i added to that demo and i rushed it. your reaction was hilarous though :D

the meat is going to be an item that you trade to an NPC for another item. you keep trading the new item to another NPC until you complete the chain and get some item. you'll notice that in the menu the meat was in the box marked OTHER. it's not a useable item

there will be shops, hells yeah. usual looking ones but also special ones like the potion shop, item upgrade shop, possibly item fusing shop.... i had a shop in my tech demo 3(you played tech demo 4)

about the perspective in the sidescrolling parts..ya, i know. Miracle had actually drew a sprite that matched, so i may attempt to redraw some enemies so they look right in those parts. or just use monsters that already do look ok in sidescrolling, like the bats.

haha that sword changing glitch..someone did report that a while back and im pretty sure it's already fixed in the current master copy of the project. i had completely re-coded the quickmenu and made that mistake.

oh man, i was really yelling at you when you couldn't figure out how to throw the boomerang. i'm like "YOU KNOW 2K3, how many buttons are there to press!!" hahaha

i can see i have found your weakness; statue pushing puzzles

about the music/jukebox. that wasn't finalized in the demo, but now it's setup to change music automatically when you change places. you may have noticed the "autoplay" option at the top. that's what that is. when you pick a single song, autoplay is turned off and it repeats that one song. i wish you would have tried the playlist option, you can pick 10 songs and have them play like any playlist. its even got a shuffle option.

when you picked a new song, techincally it's not the same song. the first one you had was NES overworld and the second one was SNES overworld. it's got the same melody but it's not the same song, ya zelda noob ;P

fun fact: every time you save, the portrait changes ^.^ i had fun with that, you should check them out.

about leveling up; when i first started making this game, i was planning on making it an ABS/RPG hybrid. boss battles would be RPG battles. each piece of equipment, sword/tunic/shield/cap, has an item in the database that is equipable equipment. your items would be skills in battle, so since you had the boomerang you could throw it in battle. i like the idea so i may play with it in the future as a side project, but it won't be in the current game. however, there is a reason to level up. everytime you level up, you get a heart container and full health, also when you level up it deals 10 damage to every enemy on the screen(killing most things at low levels). some areas will require you to be a certain level, some quests will only trigger when you are a certain level. so yeah, its gonna be pretty important. you can see how much exp an enemy gives in the bestiary.

in the room with the statue that was too heavy to push; ok, so you almost had it but you forgot that the boomerang is used to grab items out of reach. you were supposed to use the boomerang to grab the power bracelet, which allows you to move heavy stuff. then you get the blue map looking thing, which is a potion recipe. you already found the bottle, so when you visit the potion store you can create blue potions.

in the room below this, remember how the guy said that every time you enter the room it's different? well it just so happened that the RNG landed on the same thing both times you entered the room u.u I was like, aw man..you totally missed out on a key part. there were some goodies in there including a way to summon a helper NPC. but yeah, some rooms, when you enter them, trigger a RNG and depending on what it lands on the layout of the room will be different. sometimes it's only the monsters that are randomized.

also, if you remember, after getting the red candle and went back up a bridge appeared. it was a vague attempt to let you know that you can bomb the upper wall...which, i'm just realizing i didn't give the bombs so...yeah, fail on my part.

you mentioned an issue with using the ladder, when the ladder is dropped you can't turn around and go back. so the way that whole ladder system works is terrain ID. the gaps have a certain terrain ID where if it's directly in front, the ladder is placed. i actually redesigned the system(if i recall) so that when you drop the ladder, and face any other direction, the ladder is picked up. so i believe this issue has already been resolved. but, in the place you were talking about it, if you would have faced down, the ladder would have been picked up and you could go back.

haha sticky keys. disable that shit man

im glad you clued in that the light cap makes you move fast. i realized that i didn't outright say it makes you move fast, so i will make sure it's clear what it will do when you find them. i did with the boomerang and candle, but i guess i overlooked that one. or was maybe a bit cryptic(light as a feather)

you mentioned that you'd like number references in the quickmenu, i actually have that written down as something i need to implement. i have an option called HUD in the options menu(that you didn't look at) which is specifically for helpful labels like that. so the number references would be a part of the HUD, and it's something that you can turn off/on.

did you just say "tri-gon-force"? o.o hahah but yeah, when you get the triforce it brings you back to the start because it would be a pain to have to walk all the way through the dungeon just to leave. plus that's how it is in the original and most oldschool zelda games.

haha "the guy with the link username would make a zelda game" the Link username is something i made as a kid and it's my email and has been my username for so long that i just keep using it. it's unique enough that it's available on most sites that i sign up for, so it works out and i will never forget a username. im not a link fanboy, as much as the visible evidence would suggest :P don't forget the 2112 part though, that's a Rush album and i am definately a Rush fanboy *squeel*

im touched that you said AWWWW when you realized it was the end of the demo ^.^

it's too bad that you didn't try out any of the items you collected at the end. i put that there for the beta testers, really, but you could have gotten a glimpse at some of the other items. which are pretty cool, imo. that's the bread and butter of the game. tons of items with increasing power. you mentioned that there's tons of candles, so you saw with the red bushes and blue bushes that it's a way to control where you can go and how you progress. it also suggests that the game will be fucking huuuuge cause most items have several upgrades and you'll need most of them to complete the game. it also gives me lots of things to dish out for completeing quests and optional dungeons. there are loads of skills and special things that you skipped over, but perhaps its all for the best. it will be more of a surprise when(if) you play the final product :)

haha you said it only took like 35-40 minutes but maybe you didn't factor in the time it took you to finish that red/blue statue puzzle ;) you did rip through it pretty quickly tho. there were a few things that you picked up on quickly, you sharp minded gamer you.

the graphics are ripped from the original but are heavily edited. you said you didn't play the original so you wouldn't notice, but I redrew the mountain tiles to be more uniform and i created rounded and angled edges for water tiles. in the original it was all straight lines and sharp corners for the water. the monsters are mostly just recolors, but every monster "family" has a rare monster that is a special edit. the ghost type monsters are all FF inspired edits(whm,blm,rdm...). i created new items like the bomb bag and extra wands. there's plenty of new stuff that you don't see in the demo like ice tiles, swamp tiles, the owl keapora geabora and other SNES tiles reduced to NES quality. i feel that the graphics are one of the best points of the game and it's something i put a lot of effort into.

the original did kind of have a story, it was written in the manual but there was nothing in game. this game probably won't have ganon and zelda isn't going to need to be saved, so it's basically me taking the world of zelda and putting my own spin on it. everything about this project is original, i mean obviously some gameplay/puzzle aspect are direct rips from other zelda games. i try to come up with unique puzzle/gameplay mechanics, like the random rooms and rare monsters and (secret stuff)

about the story, so far I've decided on something along the lines of link being a kind of archeologist. so there is a somewhat logical reason for him to go dungeon-diving. the triforce is known as a legend and nobody has ever seen it, and most people have written it off as false. so that kinda explains why link is the only one out there looking for it xD i know you joked about that. the story is something i've always had on my mind and i think this idea is a good fit.

But yeah, if you liked what you saw there are plenty of things you missed/skipped over that you'd really enjoy. Lots of behind the scenes stuff and extra features up the wazoo. Not to mention that I already introduced new stuff after releasing the demo so I have high hopes for this game ^.^ Now to think of an actual title...

TL;DR - You were somewhat mistaken about most of the "issues" and you overlooked tons of content :D In the full release this stuff will be fully explained over time, so no worries. It's just a tech demo to find bugs and get a sneak peak at the final product, so it's served it's purpose.

Thanks again for doing this, I hoped I gained another subscriber ;)
Hm, I personally found Sairen to be an extremely useful member of battle, second only to Naia because he had Meteor Strike, and could use alchemy to save your butt.
To each their own I suppose, and great Lp's by the way, I really like them.
Man that last video was the best, I was so happy for you NicoB. That reaction!
Good job <3
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
http://rpgmaker.net/games/2494/

<:3c

I'm going to be finishing up the sequel soon so any feedback would be great.
@Ness: Thanks Nessy. I can't wait for Porcupine Princess!
@Deckiller: Yeah, bro. I'd be happy to. ^ ^
author=Fallen-Griever
author=PepsiOtaku
author=King of Games
These are nauseating.
Thread-shitting like this is more nauseating. You're welcome to make a Let's Play series and do better. Personally, I think these are great, and NicoB has been doing a hell of a job churning them out so fast.
The whole concept of "Let's Try" videos is "nauseating" (that might be putting it strongly, but whatever - I'll keep to the original description).

The fact of the matter is that gut reactions are far less useful to developers than properly considered and contextualised reviews/feedback in almost every possible way. For instance, if you were to watch me play Mario Kart then you'd think it was the most imbalanced, frustrating piece of shit on the planet given how much I swear playing that game; which would obviously be a misrepresentation since those games are awesome.

The only conceivable way "Let's Try" videos are "useful" is because they're entertaining (supposedly). However, an audience being entertained isn't really useful to a developer whose still trying to improve their game, making "Let's Try" videos about as useful as a chocolate fireguard (which would be nauseating to eat due to its size - huzzah, back to the original point...)

I'm going to respectfully and professionally disagree. We call it 'user testing' when we're launching a new site or product.

You set a user down, and watch them do whatever they can with the system, and you see what they figured out and what they didn't. It's amazingly more effective and cost effective for design and workflow testing, and is practically a requirement in modern QA.

I pulled an amazing amount of information out of NicoB's videos, MUCH more than out of any of the reviews (though I greatly appreciate those as well.)

This needs to be called out specifically:
However, an audience being entertained isn't really useful to a developer whose still trying to improve their game,

You see, my goal as a developer is to make games that people find ENTERTAINING. So seeing what entertains people (ie. what caught their attention enough to joke about it? how did they react to this? what was most memorable? which characters did they like/hate?) are all AMAZING points that are basically the ESSENCE of what we're looking for in feedback! So what if NicoB is entertaining people? He's doing it by highlighting the points that stood out to him!

However this IS just my opinion, but it's also my opinion as a member of the developer demographic; which is, like, the group of people you were saying wouldn't get nearly as much out of these as a review if I read that right.
NicoB! So what would be your advice to make a youtube video with the cheapest possible software? I know I should join up with the times and should already know this, but I've been living under a rock since 2002! (It's a good rock) I think it would be fun to make a few Let's Try vids!
author=spirit_young
NicoB! So what would be your advice to make a youtube video with the cheapest possible software? I know I should join up with the times and should already know this, but I've been living under a rock since 2002! (It's a good rock) I think it would be fun to make a few Let's Try vids!
I know I am not NicoB, but as a let's player, I can help you. I will PM you a couple of things that can help you get started. The first step is to get a microphone in order(A good cheap one is the logitech microphone for $30, works like a charm), and then get yourself a image capture software. I would advise fraps for that software. If you want to go cheap, you can just use windows movie maker to get you started, but I would advise getting a basic copy of Sony Vegas, as it will make your life a lot easier and you can even make your videos 720p with the right settings, which I will send you the links of. And then, just upload it to youtube, as long as it is under 20 gbs, and you are set. I will warn you do need a lot of room on your hard-drive, about 30-50 gbs free to fit the recording and then the converted product.
Thanks facesforce! That answers my question! Now I just need to donate plasma to come up with money (I'm one of those people who always gets fired from work)!
author=spirit_young
Thanks facesforce! That answers my question! Now I just need to donate plasma to come up with money (I'm one of those people who always gets fired from work)!

Not a problem, buddy. Good luck on getting the money up, I just messaged you the settings for sony vegas hd for youtube. I wish you best of luck!
@spirit_young: Yeah, I'm using Camstudio, which is working wonders for me. I'm sure Sony is just as good though. ^ ^

Started both Glacia and Fragile Hearts. Also, I.......sing a song?? o_O

NicoB's Cover Songs - BLACK & GOLD BY SAM SPARRO

GL - Part One - DAMN, RAIN! YO WIFE'S A BITCH!

GL - Part Two - BIG FLAME CITY NEXT TO LITTLE BLUE RIVER

GL - Part Three - WE'RE GOING TO DISNEYLAND!!

FH - Part One - TAKE THAT PRINCESS CHUBBYKINS!

FH - Part Two - I FIGHT XEHANORT'S MOM

FH - Part Three - MMMMMMM....CRACKERS
Yeah, NicoB! Watchin' your vids inspired me to try to make my own! Err . . . I usually don't sound this dorky!