STATUSES

Pages: first 12 next last
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
One of the things I pay attention to are the statuses in games. Are they exciting? Are they the normal types of silence,poison,blind, etc. statuses? ATK Down, DEF Down, etc? I like exciting statuses.
PURPOSE: Make a list of your favorite statuses or statuses you have made up that divert from the normal ailments. I will make one as an example.

Provoke- The foes are now a lot more prone to attacking you then other allies. If more than one ally has it, they are more likely to be attacked than the allies who don't have the state. If everyone has the state, the effect is nil.
Vanish- The opposite of Provoke, if you are inflicted with Vanish, you cannot be chosen as a target by foes. If everyone has the state, the effect is nil, and if more than one has it, none of them can be chosen for attack.
States cancel each other out.

Predict- Simulates the properties of knowing all the future moves any foe will make, evasion is boosted to the max, making the inflicted evade all attacks.
(aren't the best examples)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Um I don't think those examples are really all that unusual but okay they were just examples we're supposed to post our own. Got it.

Charge Up - Self-buff used primarily by enemies, but also by one party member. Unlocks certain powerful skills. Lasts one round. If the user is stunned or paralyzed or his turn is delayed, this status can wear off before he gets a chance to make use of it.

Focus - Gradually regenerate MP until the next time you are attacked. When used skillfully in combination with threat management tactics, allows mages to maintain their offense in long battles almost as easily as physical attackers.

All my other good ones are basically ripped wholesale from World of Warcraft so... yeah
One that came up in IRC before between (iirc) Brent, YF and me was the idea of a "deaf" status where you would still be able to enter commands for the character but there was something like a weighted random chance that they would do something different to what you told them to (because they can't hear you properly! :D)

Also iirc during that conversation, YF also jokingly suggested a "drunk" status effect where the command-selection cursor would move about randomly as you try to choose a command :P

I like the gimmicky ones :>
^ Haha there is a "drunk" status in my game, but it is really a synonym for "confuse". It's there because I'm going to be adding a "drunken master" special ability =D

Other than that, I find that a Magic:the Gathering background gives one an endless source of ideas for status effects.

Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I thought Predict was a representation of the foreknowledge of future events, causing incoming effects (attacks, healing, items, whatever you can think of) to be ineffective?

Ah, Masako and Konae Detective Agency! Your time will come!
Not too inventive, but 'alert', which prevents the user from being stunned or put to sleep.
Adon237
author=tpasmall
Not too inventive, but 'alert', which prevents the user from being stunned or put to sleep.

I like?
author=Marrend
I thought Predict was a representation of the foreknowledge of future events, causing incoming effects (attacks, healing, items, whatever you can think of) to be ineffective?

Ah, Masako and Konae Detective Agency! Your time will come!

Not what I interpreted it as.
author=flowerthief
^ Haha there is a "drunk" status in my game, but it is really a synonym for "confuse". It's there because I'm going to be adding a "drunken master" special ability =D

Other than that, I find that a Magic:the Gathering background gives one an endless source of ideas for status effects.

author=NewBlack
One that came up in IRC before between (iirc) Brent, YF and me was the idea of a "deaf" status where you would still be able to enter commands for the character but there was something like a weighted random chance that they would do something different to what you told them to (because they can't hear you properly! :D)

Also iirc during that conversation, YF also jokingly suggested a "drunk" status effect where the command-selection cursor would move about randomly as you try to choose a command :P

I like the gimmicky ones :>

Drunk lolz ;0
Deaf actually sounds like a good idea.
"Third Eye" - Allows you to participate the next attack. As long as it is not a spell or magical-attribute influenced attack.

"Channeled Mana" - Allows you to cast magic with HP instead of MP. (Note that you still take damage with HP.)

"Mana Wall" - Allows you to take damage with MP.

"Dazzle" - Switches the roles on HP and MP. (HP is used as MP, and MP is used as HP).

"Alacrity" - Decreases casting speed (Or lowers MP cost) as the cost of spell strength

"Ebullience" - Increases casting speed (Or heightens MP cost) but allows the caster to produce more force.

"Amnesia" - Player forgets all their skills, spells, and abilities, but remembers traits. (In RPG Maker terms, all abilities would be shaded in black and they could only defend)

"Mind Leak" - Player loses MP upon being damaged. (I guess this could be calculated by a mathematical formula, or set as a specific value depending on potency.)

"Bust" - Prevents the player from being able to receive any positive status effects.

And here are some other ones I could think of.

"Encumbered" - Player loses any beneficial stats from equipment they're wearing.

"Rapid Feet" - Player moves around faster on the map, as well as an increased flee rate. (I.e, A Rogue using "Rapid Escape" from battle, gain a momentary speed increase and heightened
flee chance if the status is still carried on over into another battle)

"Weighted" - Player suffers a decreased movement speed on the map, as well as a decreased flee rate. (I.e, Getting hit by sludge decreases the movement speed of your sprite on the map, and lowers your chance to flee.

Just a few rough ideas I've had floating around. Some are just recreated, like "Rapid Feet" and "Weighted".
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Thank you, VX Ace, for allowing "MP Posion". I haven't seen that option since 2K. I swear, I will abuse that.
Here are some random ones I thought up/ripped off from some games:

Block X: Prevents an element or magic school from being used. Only one element per target can be blocked . It's basically a reasonably powerful version of silence.

Blind: Critical hit chance reduced to 0%. I hate missing, and this version of blind can also affect casters, if your game allows them to crit.

Curse: Can not be healed/can not gain buffs/take extra damage. This one could do a lot of different things. <3 Curse.

Rage: Only offensive skills may be used. Good against buffing/healing opponents. Could also increase attack or something.

Aim: Your next attack hits criticaly, only lasts until an attack is used obviously.

Holy Shield: Immune to debuffs.

Sanctum: Immune to all, but cannot act. Especially good if your game allows skills to be used on friends and foes.
Byah: Aim would need either need an additional feature, or Critical would need to work differently than most RPGs (2x Damage) for Aim to be useful. Take 2 turns to deal 1x damage twice, or 1 turn to Aim and 1 turn to deal 2x damage once. It might cost a little less MP if you use it with a spell, but if you just use the same spell twice you actually have a chance to deal 4x damage if they both critical naturally.
Adon237
My Aim just makes the the next attack more likely to hit, though I think that should be changed.
Again, unless it increases the chance to hit by over double the initial chance to hit, and the initial chance to hit was under 50%, that doesn't actually have any benefit at all.
I have similar ideas for Status Effects as LockeZ, I suppose.

My favorite one recently is Flame Dance.

The caster is enveloped in Flame, increasing the damage done by fire attacks and making weapon attacks use the Fire element. They take damage over time. While the status effect is active, the Flame Dance ability is gone but replaced with Discharge. This ability expends the Flame Dance status effect and deals Fire damage to all enemies and deals lasting burn damage.
@prexus: Well, you could use an AoE attack after you gain the aim buff, or use a high cooldown/cost skill that does a lot of damage or maybe it's a buff only a healer can cast. Aim would also increase in usefulness, if you obtain equipment that increases your crit damage or your characters gain HP/MP or buffs or whatever when they crit. You might also want to be cautious when a boss gains aim.
As you said, it heavily depends on how your game handles critical hits.

@Adon: You should definitely change that. :X If it doesn't even give a 100% hit chance, players probably wouldn't waste a turn casting it, and it's only for the next attack. Aim could also simply increase the hit chance to 100% for x turns, if your games has some inaccurate skills. Though I prefer not having a miss chance to begin with.

LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I have one character in I&V who is built entirely around negative status effects. All but one of her skills inflict a status effect on either one or all enemies. Then she has a skill called Detonate that expends those effects on enemies in order to deal heavy damage. The more effects enemies have on them, the more damage they take.

The effects themselves are mostly pretty boring. Enemy takes continuous fire damage, enemy's defense is lowered, enemy's magic power is lowered, enemy gains less HP from healing spells, etc. They all work against every enemy in the game, though. She would be pretty unusable if you had to guess enemy status immunities in every battle.

Oh, here are some more semi-cool status ideas:
Daffy's Trick - All abilities can only be used once per battle.
Dark Knight - Any time you deal damage, you take half as much damage as you deal. However, attack power is increased.
Launch - The enemy is sent flying into the air for 2 rounds. While in the air, the enemy cannot attack or be attacked. If you have a dragoon on your team, and the dragoon uses Jump on any other enemy besides the launched enemy, the dragoon will deal damage to the launched enemy while in mid-air.
Reading Ahead - Temporarily increases level by 5 until the end of battle. Stats are increased accordingly. Also, any skills you would learn from levelling up are temporarily learned.
Cursed Mending - Any time you are healed, all enemies are also healed for an equal amount.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Crackshot Increases power of ranged attacks but makes melee attacks almost useless.
Battler (Can't come up with a better name) - Total opposite of Crackshot, increases power of melee attacks but surprise surprise, ranged is pointless.

Item 1x - Wearers of heavy armor will have this status condition ALWAYS until it's removed. Item 1x prevents a party member from using the Item command more than once.
The player will have to think wisely when to have the Item 1x ridden character use the command.

Overexertion - The character's magical attacks will do heavy damage but as a downside, the character will take heavy damage upon cast (Messing with catastrophic majyyk isn't very healthy, m'kay)
For shits and giggles, I could probably make it so that a character with Overexert can't be healed.
Man...if only most of these could be done in 2k3...a lot of these sound really nice @_@
A Few are possible with conditional branches, variables, switches and several pages of battle events.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Xenomic
Man...if only most of these could be done in 2k3...a lot of these sound really nice @_@

you're doing it wrong
Pages: first 12 next last