IT'S CLEAR ENTERBRAIN DOESN'T CARE ABOUT SECURITY

Pages: first 12 next last
So RPgmaker Ace was released a bit recently, and already there are hundreds of sites online providing download for it. Apparently, the games can be cracked the SAME WAY as the last 2 games.

Last I checked, Enterbrains profits in that area have be inconsistent. Have they ever actually though why? I mean you failed 3 times in a row? How is that even possible? Do they even want people to buy their engines? What about people like me and maybe a few people here who brought it? It's almost insulting that we paid for it (almost insulting, I still paid for it.) since they seem so keen on having the same flaws in their game creation programs.

Excuse me it's 4 times in a row now.
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
You find it insulting you had to be an honest person?
I find it insulting they are still charging for something they are at this point, giving away for free optionally.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Not sure you understand the concept of theft

Not actually sure if you're trolling or serious, in fact
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
author=LockeZ

Pretty much this. And they're not giving away anything, Third parties are cracking it and illegally distributing it.
Which happens to most games and programs.
author=LockeZ

author=Khos
author=LockeZ

Pretty much this. And they're not giving away anything, Third parties are cracking it and illegally distributing it.
Which happens to most games and programs.

You guys do realize that you're paying for a game Enterbrain does not care you hack the same way 4 times in a row right? I'm pretty sure they just gave up at this point. It's ALMOST not worth even helping them.
Can we just derail this into insulting Funky_Gun for his idiotic opinion now, instead of trying to have a legitimate discussion on this topic for 5 pages and then having it turn into a shit fest?

The only person I think on this forum who is remotely qualified to talk about this is TouchFuzzy since he actually works with distributing the software state-side.

Yes, it is easy to get by the security. Does that make it okay? No, of course not. You are still stealing, it's still illegal.

Is it Enterbrain's priority to make harsher DRM? I don't know, I don't think so. Crackers are going to get by any level of DRM. There is no piece of software that has been released that hasn't been cracked (except possibly the stuff that nobody wants to crack.)
Should they remove it entirely? No, of course not. It still provides incentive for people to pay for the product. Not everyone is going to illegally obtain it, but if they have the choice of getting it for free legally, they are not likely going to pay for it.
Do you use RPG Maker?

Then support Enterbrain and buy it. Don't pirate it, regardless of how "easy" it is to pirate it.
author=kentona
Do you use RPG Maker?

Then support Enterbrain and buy it. Don't pirate it, regardless of how "easy" it is to pirate it.

So it's clear you didn't even read what I wrote since you made that bottom sentence.

author=prexus
Can we just derail this into insulting Funky_Gun for his idiotic opinion now, instead of trying to have a legitimate discussion on this topic for 5 pages and then having it turn into a shit fest?

The only person I think on this forum who is remotely qualified to talk about this is TouchFuzzy since he actually works with distributing the software state-side.

Yes, it is easy to get by the security. Does that make it okay? No, of course not. You are still stealing, it's still illegal.

Is it Enterbrain's priority to make harsher DRM? I don't know, I don't think so. Crackers are going to get by any level of DRM. There is no piece of software that has been released that hasn't been cracked (except possibly the stuff that nobody wants to crack.)
Should they remove it entirely? No, of course not. It still provides incentive for people to pay for the product. Not everyone is going to illegally obtain it, but if they have the choice of getting it for free legally, they are not likely going to pay for it.

Except virtually they have no security. They haven't improved it one percent. If they want to make profit from us, like many if not all here who buys the games, they need to take themselves more seriously. If you do the same thing 4 times for every product that's poor business. It's not right, it's lazy, and soon there may not be another Rpg Maker. Heck right now we have a partial expansion to VX instead of a new engine.
author=Funky_Gun
author=kentona
Do you use RPG Maker?

So it's clear you didn't even read what I wrote since you made that bottom sentence.
It's clear I was speaking in a general sense.
author=Funky_Gun
Except virtually they have no security. They haven't improved it one percent. If they want to make profit from us, like many if not all here who buys the games, they need to take themselves more seriously. If you do the same thing 4 times for every product that's poor business. It's not right, it's lazy, and soon there may not be another Rpg Maker. Heck right now we have a partial expansion to VX instead of a new engine.

"Virtually no" and "No" security are completely different things.

A cop with a gun is going to be able to stop a lot of crime and bad behaviour whether it is loaded or not.

Would you rather that you constantly had to be connected to a server the entire time you were using the software? Would you prefer if all the saves were saved on their servers so you couldn't load or save projects if you weren't logged into an account and connected to them?
author=prexus
author=Funky_Gun
"Virtually no" and "No" security are completely different things.

A cop with a gun is going to be able to stop a lot of crime and bad behaviour whether it is loaded or not.

Would you rather that you constantly had to be connected to a server the entire time you were using the software? Would you prefer if all the saves were saved on their servers so you couldn't load or save projects if you weren't logged into an account and connected to them?

There's s difference between what you're saying and a SLIGHT improvement which has not happened at all.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Alright, what's enterbrain's security have to do with you?
What's the point of a slight improvement? It's just a little game making software that doesn't make tons of money anyways. Why waste time and money making slight improvements to security when people can choose to crack the software anyway? It's best you worry about yourself. Whether they crack it or not has nothing to do with you.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
author=Funky_Gun
You seem to equate that stricter DRM == higher sales across the board. Let me tell you now both as a pirate and as a legitimate purchaser of software that harsher DRMs will deter me from purchasing any piece of software (or anything for that matter).

Enterbrain's DRM, while probably easy to crack as you stated, serves its intended purpose of encouraging people to desist from piracy whilst not getting in the way of legitimate purchasers. Anything further than this (ie: connected to EB's server at all times) and it just simply isn't worth the money spent.
author=KingArthur
author=Funky_Gun
You seem to equate that stricter DRM == higher sales across the board. Let me tell you now both as a pirate and as a legitimate purchaser of software that harsher DRMs will deter me from purchasing any piece of software (or anything for that matter).

I understand what you're saying. But that's not the point, they aren't even attempting to even just add one more line you might have to clear thorugh or something simple, it's literally download the program, enter a link, profit.

Then they complain and delay releases because of lack of money?

Enterbrain's DRM, while probably easy to crack as you stated, serves its intended purpose of encouraging people to desist from piracy whilst not getting in the way of legitimate purchasers. Anything further than this (ie: connected to EB's server at all times) and it just simply isn't worth the money spent.
When has EB! ever complained about a lack of money or delayed releases?

As far as I know, RM is a sideproject for EB and not their main focus or money maker at all.
author=prexus
When has EB! ever complained about a lack of money or delayed releases?

As far as I know, RM is a sideproject for EB and not their main focus or money maker at all.

This is correct. And their target audience is the JP people who I haven't seen complaining much about the encryption much at all. It is a pain but if people really want it, they will get it.
^Yes they have.

Point is they are lazy and it's annoying. You may disagree if you want but after 4 times in a row I have to call BS on the company here. But I think they have roven they don't care.

"^Yes they have." is not an argument.

I would like a source on this.

Your opinion is noted, but I don't see what you are trying to accomplish/prove by bringing the topic up here. Nobody has disagreed with you on the DRM being weak, you have no reason to keep stating that.

We want you to prove to us that the weakness of the DRM is causing a lack of sales and causing EB! to go bankrupt.
author=Funky_Gun
^Yes they have.

Point is they are lazy and it's annoying. You may disagree if you want but after 4 times in a row I have to call BS on the company here. But I think they have roven they don't care.

Pirating is bad. They do care.

They trust in the honest users, those of us who DO pay for legitimate copies.

Those who will pirate, will pirate, and they've just decided not to bother wasting resources to make better DRM because some people with nothing better to do will just break it to prove how smart they are anyway.

It's easier to destroy than to create.

And easier to complain than do something about it.
Pages: first 12 next last