GROW UP :O

Pages: 1
It's 2008, last I checked. RPG Maker 2000 and 2003 are outdated, by a lot. RPG Maker XP and VX are the current standards (or at least they should be), and the current attitude of "everyone is using rm2k3 and will never ever go beyond it" is seriously holding this community (and other ones) back.

Topics like these, which are so 2k/3-centric just show that this community is so dead-set in its ways. This is actually one of the big reasons for all the GW drama: a lot of you guys just refuse to use anything other than RM2K3, even when there are well-known updates to the program.

This isn't meant to be some sort of shitty rant aimed at the community, but that sites like this one should be working on little things that promote more current engines. The thread I linked to is the perfect example: contests by staff members ("contributors", whatever) based around rm2k/3 tilesets make a very clear statement about the community's stance on moving forward: and that statement is that you simply refuse to do so.

This site would certainly be opened up to a lot more potential new members if it was able to move on and start promoting more modern programs. This is rpgmaker.net, not rpgmaker2k3.net.
kentona
I am tired of Earth. These people. I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives.
RM2k3 is simple and accessible. Because of that, it will take years to completely die.

Why is that a bad thing?
I use RM2K3 because I like it and it suits my needs. More so because I can't transfer my projects to newer versions. RM2K3 is fine for me and a lot of other people here, so why should that change unless we as a community wants it to? We got enough of "USE SOMETHING ELSE RM2K3 IS SO OLD" at GW and that's why a lot of us left, so please don't bring it here. Some of us use XP, some of us use VX, and some of us use 2MK3 and even RM2000. So just let it be.

Please.
author=kentona link=topic=1053.msg14876#msg14876 date=1210101552
RM2k3 is simple and accessible. Because of that, it will take years to completely die.

Why is that a bad thing?

HSJFHSAKFGASIUJDFBVHBVS0PPOWIREWPOIRXCVXCMBXCBVPOWERRANGERSSFHRRURNBVMVS,A[SOEIENRCXV

Because jesus man RMXP and RMVX are not only just *as* easy to use, but *easier* to use. Don't tell me it's the resolution because I see people using Suikoden tiles and shit in 2k games all the time (tiles that are drawn at 32x32). Aside from that ripped tiles are kind of scummy anyway, and if you want, you can copy and paste a new script into VX to change the resolution. ALSO you and everyone else and myself probably pirated Rm2k3 because you can't buy it in English! If people are desperate they can pirate XP and VX too I guess. You haven't lived until you decide that you don't like the shape of the main menu so you change one line of code and SURPRISE it's different.

I guess as a Contributor I am supposed to represent the site and the community, but I feel very strongly about how awful it is that 2k3 remains so popular. I believe that it is not only holding our community back but has been slowly destroying it for years. 2k3 is an incredibly retarded program and yes, everyone *does* need to grow up. If you'd give anything else a fair chance -- XP, VX, Gamemaker, Fusion, whatever -- you'd all agree with me.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
The contest is being paid for out of Blind's own pocket and is not an RMN endorsement of any particular engine.

Many of our users have moved on to RPG Maker VX and will continue to do so. Actually, I think kentona is the only admin that still uses RPG Maker 2000/2003. But a lot of our users have been working on their projects for much longer than VX has been out, and it's not fair to say "hey, lose all your work and move on because something shinier is out!"

This may not have been meant to be a shitty rant but it sure turned out to be.It's also a false statement; we went out of way to post RMVX news before it was released (granted we dropped the ball after that) and are entirely open to RMXP/RMVX submissions, as well as ika, Sphere, Verge3, Game Maker, etc.

Don't presume to dictate to folks what they use. Windows XP is outdated as well (older than either RPG Maker 2000 or RPG Maker 2003) but that hasn't stopped people from using it because it works, is functional and simple to use. People will move on to Vista at their own pace, just like RPG Maker 2000/2003 users will.

Also, don't pretend that RPG Maker 2003 is the reason for the GW drama, because it isn't. Half of their bitching was about how a Game Maker game didn't get as much attention as a RPG Maker VX game.
I think all the programs have their merits, and we should leave people to choose their own preference. With that map design topic, I'm sure you can use XP if you want, it's not all that hard to convert the tiles.
If you'd give anything else a fair chance -- XP, VX, Gamemaker, Fusion, whatever -- you'd all agree with me.

I gave the newer RM programs a chance, but I went back to RM2K3 for my own reasons, the biggest being that you can't import old projects to the newer programs. If there was a workaround that, perhaps, most likely I would upgrade. But people do what they want. Why give them a hard time about it? We're already aware of the situation, so repeating it countless times and forcing it upon us won't make it better. Besides, there IS a steady number of people using the newer RM programs, so what's the issue?
brandonabley
Because jesus man RMXP and RMVX are not only just *as* easy to use, but *easier* to use. Don't tell me it's the resolution because I see people using Suikoden tiles and shit in 2k games all the time (tiles that are drawn at 32x32). Aside from that ripped tiles are kind of scummy anyway, and if you want, you can copy and paste a new script into VX to change the resolution.
You failed to mention how shitty the map editor is in VX.

I'm with holb in saying that you shouldn't assume that the whole community supports JUST RM2k/3 because of what one person is doing, whether they be Staff/Contributor or not. They do what they feel benefits what they are most experienced with in the community. And there's also the small fact for some of us that we have been working on our projects for years. I, personally, am not going to lose everything I've worked on for the past four years to go to a new engine.

To be honest, RM2k3 works a lot better for me than XP has, and certainly than VX ever has. I'm not going to lose some of the stuff that I know and love to get others. Namely I'm not going to go from a nice map system that they were kind enough to keep in XP (and even expand upon) to lose it and have to use one limited tileset in VX. And I'm not about to drop frames either (for XP; from 60 to 30FPS, iirc).
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I hereby deem this topic trolling, a.k.a. stirring the pot. Locked.
Pages: 1