TRIBUTE TO THE ANCIENT ONES :)

Pages: first 123 next last
Milos
Lone Wolf, or something cool.
Hello everybody :D

I see that there is a lot of people here who say that the the best RPG games are those from the retro-RPG and NES/SNES era. I think they are right :)
Well I like the old RPG games because they are centered on story, not graphics like nowadays. Because imagination is the best graphics card. And that's why I liked them so much.

My first RPG is one I played on the Sega Mega Drive, but I can't recall it's name.
That's when I fell in love with this genre.
Now, lemme hear your story :D
1. What is the first RPG game you have played?
2. And what is the best RPG game you have played?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
The first RPG I have ever played was Final Fantasy 10. My favorite RPG(not really the best) is Final Fantasy 12.
FINAL FANTASY FOR LIFE
I also like A TON Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV, and Baldur's Gate.
1. Dragon Warrior for the NES
2. Diablo 2

Though I also have great love for Chrono Trigger, KOTOR I & II, Final Fantasy VI and Dragon Warrior III + IV + XI
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest Legends. It sparked my love for RPGs and I spent most of the SNES era playing games like Secret of Mana, Secret of Evermore, Teranigmia and Luffia.

I don’t know about my absolute favourite, but I really think Personas 3 and 4 are two of the best RPS ever, especially 4.
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
1) Super Mario RPG
2) Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Milos
The first Final Fantasy I played was VII if I'm correct. It's a great series :)
I also liked the first Diablo, it's better than 2 for me.
Anyone played Lionheart? It's really similar to Diablo.
Also, Fallout 1 & 2 is good :)
Ultima 7: The Black Gate
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Live a Live
Final Fantasy 6
Chrono Trigger
Diablo 2
Pokemon Red/Blue
Baldur's Gate

edit: Oh, you wanted first RPG ever played?
I think the first I ever played myself was Final Fantasy Mystic Quest, but I spent a lot of time watching my brother play the NES era RPGs (DQ and FF1 mainly)
edchuy
You the practice of self-promotion
Phantasy Star II (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantasy_Star_II)

Yes, I am that old ANCIENT!
My first was either FF1 or DQ1

*I guess I can say Star Ocean 2 is my favorite RPG. It's long, has lots of characters with different endings. It's one of the few RPGs I played multiple times.
The first RPG I played. Now it all comes down to "what is an RPG". Zelda games are generally not considered RPGs but I think Zelda 2 had a lot of those experience points and random encounters that made it RPGish.

Then there was Tecmo Cup Soccer which had menu-based gameplay and also had the players level up, much like an RPG.

Together they probably make for the first RPG I ever played.

As for the best RPG I've played it's probably Arcanum: Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura.
1. Dragon Warrior / Final Fantasy on the NES (can't recall which one I played first)

2. Favorite RPG ever? It's impossible to choose but if I had to play only one RPG for the rest of my life, I'd go with Dragon Warrior 3 on the NES. Shadow Hearts Covenant and Valkyrie Profile for runner ups.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
The first RPG I played was probably Final Fantasy 9 or 10 (10 was shitty blargh) and my favorite is FF9, and my second favorite RPG is Chrono Cross.

author=Shinan
Then there was Tecmo Cup Soccer which had menu-based gameplay and also had the players level up, much like an RPG.

Words "Tecmo" and "RPG" remind me of Secret of the Stars. Probably the corniest RPG I have ever played.

FOUND PLUM-PLUM!
GOT PLUM-PLUM.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
The first RPG I played? Might and Magic - Secret of the Inner Sanctum. I was about 6 or 7, and had no clue what I was supposed to do. I've picked up the game every once and a while, but I've never been able to complete the thing.

The best RPG I've played? I don't really know. I like many RPGs. Wasteland, Final Fantasy V, Might and Magic - World of Xeen, Chrono Trigger, and Planescape - Torment, to name a few.
Milos
While it may not be totally in the RPG genre, I've seen a lot of games that on the Sega Mega Drive which are top-down shooters where you drive a small ship and take out aliens(Something like Alien Invaders) but you can upgrade your weapons and buy new ships. Can't remember the name though. God, was Sega Mega good :( You just can't find shit like that anymore...
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
No, wait, Elder Scrolls: Daggerfall is my second favorite RPG, not Chrono Cross.
First: Final Fantasy 4

Favorite: Final Fantasy XIII-2 (When you clock 100 hours in less then a week, you KNOW it's good. *sigh*, i have no life, still.)
First Console RPG: The Sword of Vermilion. It was also my first experience with grinding for levels, since the guidebook it came with all but commanded you to exploit the Sanguio healing ring while you had possession of it.

In many ways, it blended RPGs with text based adventure style menu nesting to examine things and so forth. Then, there was the active battle system of running around and slashing everything (I cheated with an auto-fire controller), and the "arcade" style boss fights. I think I played around with it for almost seven years (not constantly, of course) before I finally sat down and beat it. It was that one game I kept coming back to when I ran out of new ones to beat, and I was almost sad to finally finish it.

First CRPG: Quest for Glory I- So you want to be a hero? VGA. Technically a point and click adventure game, but it had classes and stat development, so yeah. Fun, and funny. I have a lot of fond memories of it, even including the bad in-game jokes like "What is the difference between a Cheetaur and a comma? One is a pause at the end of a clause, and the other has claws at the end of its paws!"

Honorable mention goes to the original Pool of Radiance, but I was way to young for it when I first tried. Armor class and THAC0 confused me, and I was already mana spoiled, so I kept forgetting to have my casters memorize their Vancian magic.

Best RPG? This is a tough one. On pure hours sunk in, Morrowind. For immersion, Kotor. For nostalgia, Fallout,Fallout2, Final Fantasy 7. For that moment when my geeky friends turned to me for game advice, Final Fantasy 8.

However, going by total replays, fun factor, enjoyment, and memorization of game details: Deus freaking Ex wins by a landslide.
Milos
Am I the only one that thinks TESIV : Oblivion is better than Skyrim?
Maybe it's just me, but somehow, when I started playing Oblivion, I immersed myself with my character. Skyrim is just flashy graphics etc.
Yes you're the only one. Skyrim was much more immersive than Oblivion.
@Milos @prexus:
The feeling of immersion isn't created by the game itself but by the player. A game can only suggest immersion through its features. It is the player who generates the feeling.
Pages: first 123 next last