TRIBUTE TO THE ANCIENT ONES :)

Pages: first prev 123 next last
To a certain extent, I can agree that it is up to the player.

But I for damn sure do not get immersed in a game like Ultima 7, or Fallout 1/2, like I would with a game like Skyrim. Character creation and first person perspectives are almost necessities for immersion.

The reason I say Skyrim is more immersive than Oblivion has to do with how the creators approached the quest system, towns, and the global effect of some decisions. Oblivion had excellent content, but never was I sat down to be the intermediary between a truce for two warring factions; Addressed by the faction leaders based on my merits and knowledge of the dragon crisis.

I think the most immersive quest in Oblivion was the Knights of the Nine questline. The main questline wasn't even close. Hell, it wasn't even about you. You spent the entire time helping the real hero. Yeah, you had a hand in it, but you weren't the hero. In the end, it was Martin Septim who saved the day.
1: The first RPG I ever played by myself was Breath of Fire 2. The first ever RPG was Alex Kidd, though it counts more as a sidescroll adventure game I guess.
Of course, Secret of Mana/Evermore/Gaia, Terranigma, Lufia II, Mystic Quest and A Link to the Past were all staples of my childhood.

2: The RPG I've played the most (and still enjoy playing today) would have to be Suikoden II. Is it my favourite RPG? Well, it's certainly up there with Breath of Fire II, Terranigma, Okami and now, Skyrim. It's definitely the one I've gotten the most enjoyment from.
Milos
Lone Wolf, or something cool.
@prexus

Well, it's up to the gamer to decide which game is better for him.

Yes, Oblivion has it's lacking points, but with the mods that exist on the net(tesnexus.com) it proves a nice experience.
Dunno, maybe I'll give Skyrim another shot. I didn't want to say Skyrim is crap, I just said that Oblivion is better for me than Skyrim.
The first for me was 'The Bard's Tale' on the Commodore 64! (Yikes!)

The best is Final Fantasy 7, there is no contest. I love that game.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Just downloaded Daggerfall again, it's awesome. The pixely monsters still keep scaring me.
1. What is the first RPG game you have played?
Dragon Warrior on the NES, but it was so long ago and I vaguely remember it at all. The first RPG I properly sank my teeth into was Final Fantasy 4, and I loved every minute of it. I remember grinding outside of Kaipo to level Rydia up and I was thinking to myself, "gaming will never get any better than THIS!"

2. And what is the best RPG game you have played?
Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen. Some may argue that it's more of a strategy or war simulation of some kind, but it's still very much an RPG and I love it very dearly. It's my favourite game of all time and I can still play the hell out of it to this day (despite beating the game dozens of times).

In terms of standard/traditional RPGs, I'd go with Final Fantasy 6.
First RPG? To be honest...Pokemon :>

Best RPG...I suppose I still like Final Fantasy VI the best.
First RPG: Shadowrun on the SNES

Best RPG: Secret of Evermore
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Star Ocean.
Bahamut Lagoon.
There was another game that was translated to use in emulator. It was a shining force type strategy game that was in Japanese. Couldn't put my finger on it on what it was.
Landstalker.
First RPG:
Hmm, probably Diablo 2 back when it came out (before that it was mostly non-rpg DOS games, like Doom 2, Duke Nukem 3D, Commander Keen, a minigolf game, etc... it was years later that I finally discovered my favourite genre - the RPG). I remember being really happy about myself when I finally defeated Andariel in Act 1, only to get slaughtered in Act 2 (fuck you lightning scarabs, and FUCK YOU DURIEL).

Best RPG:
Diablo 2 :) Seriously, thousands of hours played (I would guess), basically since release, and still playing. In fact, I am just playing my new Zeal Paladin, already in Nightmare. Hundreds of characters created, and yet, only cleared Hell 2 times. All of this on SINGLE PLAYER. I never had any fancy equipment or runewords, only recently I finally started to really try to get good stuff. The replayability of this game is BANANAS, and I cant wait for Diablo 3 to come out. Even though many things piss me off about it, I still think it will be the next game that might actually replace D2 in my heart.

We will see Blizzard, we will see.
What was the first RPG you ever finished?

For me, my first RPG that I finished was also the first RPG I ever played: Dragon Warrior.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I think the first one was : Laxius Power-Random, also the most, or the only really hated one.

The best, A Blurred Line, I guess.
author=chana
I think the first one was : Laxius Power-Random, also the most, or the only really hated one.

The best, A Blurred Line, I guess.

What about non-RPG Maker RPGs?? Don't forget that this topic isn't just limited to RPG Maker RPGs...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I suppose most people's first RPGs played are also their first RPGs completed. Mine included :>

To be precise, I actually played and completed Pokemon Crystal first...

EDIT:
author=chana
I won't forget...

Then I suppose you ought to play more commercial RPGs...
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
I won't forget...
So many to even count that are sitting in my closet...

...I suppose the first EVER RPG game I've ever played was the original "Dragon Quest" for the NES -- but I remember HATING that game as a young child (not sure why...). Then it was the original "Final Fantasy" for the NES and I just couldn't get into it... But it was "Final Fantasy IV" for the SNES that made me a believer of RPG's...that, and my dad. While I was still getting used to RPG's, my dad seemed to have enjoyed FF4 as he seemed to have played it non-stop when we first got it. We ended up working together and playing on the same file as he tried to make FF4 seem like a 2 player adventure game to me rather than just playing it by himself or having separate files at the time. I remembered that "I" would take on the bosses while he did the rest; that was our thing. It wasn't until the battle with the sisters in Golbez's tower that I became interested -- and good -- at RPG's (well, after dying about seven times X_x). Suddenly, I understood everything and got really involved into the story and the game itself. It was then that I became a believer. And Final Fantasy IV became, and still is to this day, one of my favourite RPG's of all time.

As for my all-time favourite, it would have to be Earthbound. Never have I played anything so engaging, so...strangely erotic, that I have yet to see ever again. I still like to fire the ol' SNES cartage and give it a play every year or so...

Other than Earthbound, I would probably say ”Star Ocean: The Second Story,” “Chrono Trigger,” “Final Fantasy VII,” and “Super Mario RPG: Legend Of The Seven Stars.”

…It’s kinda sad that I don’t play -- or even make -- a lot of RPG’s nowadays, but I still remember the good ol’ times… Thanks to the “First Person Shooter Age Revolution,” I doubt I’ll ever get a chance to recapture those same great times again.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
First: Ultima IV
Best: Final Fantasy 7 (because despite how utterly TERRIBLE this game is---It is so incredibly replayable. I've probably run through it 8 or 9 times by now.)
author=Brent
...I suppose the first EVER RPG game I've ever played was the original "Dragon Quest" for the NES -- but I remember HATING that game as a young child (not sure why...). Then it was the original "Final Fantasy" for the NES and I just couldn't get into it... But it was "Final Fantasy IV" for the SNES that made me a believer of RPG's...

Jesus, that was like looking into a mirror for me!

I never really got Dragon Quest and I thought it was boring (but, as a 5 year old, I loved the slimes). I rented FF1 and went home to play it, but I didn't know what the hell to do in it and I recall hating the game immensely!

FF4 is the game that turned me into an RPG fan as well.
1)Final Fantasy IX
2)Final Fantasy IX

guess i got lucky with that one. or my nostalgia attraction is huge
Puddor
if squallbutts was a misao category i'd win every damn year
1)Final Fantasy VIII
2)Persona 4
Like a few others here, the first RPG I ever played was the first Dragon Quest (Dragon Warrior). I could only read Korean and a bit of French back then though, so I didn't understand much of it. I just remember starting it over and over and never getting really far. It wasn't until a few years later that I finally played it for real.

The first RPG I played and finished was Final Fantasy VI. My English still wasn't very good, but it was good enough to understand what was going on. Probably part of it is nostalgia, but I still consider Final Fantasy VI to be one of my favorite RPGs.
Pages: first prev 123 next last