RETURN OF THE ONEHOUR

Pages: first 12 next last
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
I'll cut right to the chase: I want OneHour back.

For those of you who don't know, OneHour is a contest we used to run on IRC. Someone comes up with a topic for that week (say, that all games have to have Engrish dialogue) and we all then spend one hour creating a game for that topic. At the end of the hour, we upload them for everyone to play, and then we take a vote on which one was best. The winner of a OneHour decides the topic for the next one, and so on.

It was a lot of fun, and I miss something silly to do every week. Would anyone be interested in reviving this?
Yesssssss

Please~

(Even if they do mess up my poor Catalogue something awful. ;.; )
Yes, potentially interested.

Although I'd suggest we make a game-page for each one-hour contest (like people have been doing with the mapping contests and such) rather than for each game produced, in the name of keeping rmn tidy and liberty sane.

Unless somebody manages to make something not-shit in an hour, in which case I guess.. Knock yourself out?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I personally prefer three hour competitions, as they're more accessible and give you the tiniest bit of leeway in doing something odd with your time.

I love these sorts of things, though, so I'm interested.
Make it 3 hrs and you'd get more I think.
You could do a lot more in 3 hours, but maybe it's harder to get enough people to have those exact 3 hours free?
Oh man I miss the One Hour contests so much. Some of us could make some pretty ridiculous games in sixty minutes. I'd love to take part again if it is started back up! We used to do this on Friday/Saturday nights around midnight, didn't we?

And I'd rather stick with one hour over three. The point was never to make something really exciting and worthwhile with these competitions. Quality played a factor of course, but it was all just about seeing who could throw together the most enjoyable project in such a short amount of time. Things such as technical prowess and highly detailed maps were never necessary given the time constraints.
Sounds fun but I don't do the IRC thing... any chance of outsiders doing it too?
author=sbester
Sounds fun but I don't do the IRC thing... any chance of outsiders doing it too?

I'm sure they can accomodate, as long as you know the designated hour ahead of time. Maybe post the game and topic at that moment.
author=Sauce
You could do a lot more in 3 hours, but maybe it's harder to get enough people to have those exact 3 hours free?
The last time we did a 3 hour, it was over a 24 hour period, but you only got 3 hours to make your game once you found out the theme/rules, on the honour system. (people are generally honourable for these things!)

It worked out well, since it would've been impossible to have the same window for everyone.
I fondly remember several Onehours and can quote from the winner from Trihan's example. ("Fighting! Fighting is the thing of which I have pleasure!")

I kind of agree with UPRC - the whole point is to see what funny thing you could slap together in an hour, and you lose that madcap effect a bit if it's not everybody racing together and then playing the games right afterward. That's not to say that a 3-hour wouldn't be a good idea sometimes too.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Craze
I personally prefer three hour competitions, as they're more accessible and give you the tiniest bit of leeway in doing something odd with your time.

Fun fact: I literally invented the three-hour. Literally. The very first ones ever were mine. It was because I loved the idea of a one-hour, but the thought of participating in one gave me a panic attack; turned out that participating in a three-hour still gave me a panic attack, just a slightly smaller one.

Kentona's avatars continue to be win, I see.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Max McGee
author=Craze

Fun fact: I literally invented the three-hour. Literally.

this is true, I know because I would win them
Myah!

EDIT:
hey, I won the last one with I Expect You To Die!
The concept interests me, but I don't know if I'd be availible for those exact hours and such.
I like the idea of having 24 hours and going by the honour system. I'd be okay with that.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Three hours sounds better then the one. Maybe go in the middle, 2 hours?
author=Max McGee
author=Craze

Fun fact: I literally invented the three-hour. Literally. The very first ones ever were mine. It was because I loved the idea of a one-hour, but the thought of participating in one gave me a panic attack; turned out that participating in a three-hour still gave me a panic attack, just a slightly smaller one.

Kentona's avatars continue to be win, I see.

I don't know if you can say you literally invented the 3-hour competitions.

During the initial 1hrs, there were occasions when the person coming up with the theme changed the time frame. I know I hosted a few 2hrs when I had a chance. Actually, one of mine the theme was "Late" and I got and accepted lots of submissions long after the 1hr. One as much as 3 days late.. it wasn't very good.

I like the One Hour competitions but I wouldn't be able to commit to them. I remember having a lot of fun with them though.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
author=kentona
author=Sauce
The last time we did a 3 hour, it was over a 24 hour period, but you only got 3 hours to make your game once you found out the theme/rules, on the honour system. (people are generally honourable for these things!)

It worked out well, since it would've been impossible to have the same window for everyone.

We should do that again. Id join.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'm down. Let's do this.
Pages: first 12 next last