GLOBAL WARMING (AGAIN WITH THE CONTRAVERSY...)

Pages: first 1234 next last
Oblic
Once a member of RMN, always a member of RMN!
I know that the only other forum topic I posted was EXTREMELY controversial, but this is the stuff that interests me the most! Plus, these are the topics that usually come up late at the bar... I'd rather get a non-slurred, sober, coherent opinion from a wider group, so I come here! Plus, I enjoy hearing what you guys think! Also, if this an old topic, I am sorry; I looked pretty far back, and didn't see anything, so I figured it was fair game.

Anyway...

I am curious as to what people think about global warming. I am talking more about the human effects on the climate, not so much climate change itself. But, any and all comments are welcome! Again, I will hold my tongue until a fair number of posts pop up; I'd rather not turn people away before they post their two cents!
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
It's a cycle. Are our emissions speeding it up a bit? Yes! But it's a cycle. We will warm up a lot, and then we will freeze. Just like before. Humans are definitely speeding it up.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Adon237
It's a cycle. Are our emissions speeding it up a bit? Yes! But it's a cycle. We will warm up a lot, and then we will freeze. Just like before. Humans are definitely speeding it up.

My view on it too.
The truth about global warming, if it has been established by trustworthy scientific studies, still hasn't been clearly expressed throughout national media. Therefore I don't really pay attention to the subject.
I'm all for more ecological ways of life though.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
global warming is definitely real. i'm all for it, being a weird racist fire monster, but i can see how others would not like it.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I don't give a damn personally, humanity is miniscule and inconsequential as far as the universe cares.
Global Warming is a thing; while there is a natural cooling and heating process (as well as some sort of polarity shift or something? Been a while since I last study environmental stuff), we're measurably speeding it up, as well as inflicting other kinds of permanent damage on our planet. The government and media don't want us to do anything about it, though, because solutions and work arounds for this kind of thing are ~expensive~ and pfffft like we'd want to spend money on something like the planet when we'll all be dead in 100 years anyway, AMIRIGHT OR AMIRIGHT~~~?

People are short sighted; it's the way our world works. We can prevent it, but, man, I don't know how much we can REALLY do about Global Warming. The way I see it, the attitude that lead to it is ingrained in our society, and unless we go about changing that, we aren't gonna do jack shit for the environment. I honestly don't think turning your lights off for an hour or choosing not to drive today or recycling your pop cans is really gonna do that much to help -- sure, it does a little bit, but it's the big businesses that have to go green, and the governments that have to reinforce green policies before any measurable change occurs.

THAT'S ALL I REALLY THINK ON IT; I'm not super invested in environmental issues, so while I do recognize it's pretty important, I'll leave that fight to someone else who's better informed and cares a whole lot about it.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
What we gotta do is get on hell of thorium energy. Just thinking about that sweet thorium running through my veins makes me breath a little harder.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3474128.

wow!! look at all those words!!! i'm not reading that let's get the hell off this planet
I agree. No, I do not believe in global warming, nor can man speed up a pre existing cycle, however...

We can build larger. We can build Bigger. And in the end of the day, that is what truly matters.
Adon237
author=facesforce
I agree. No, I do not believe in global warming. nor can man speed up a pre existing cycle, however...

We can build larger. We can build Bigger. And in the end of the day, that is what truly matters.

Fixed.
So are you saying the emissions have ZERO effect on the cycle?

My point is, this is already a cycle that would have happened without us, and we are possibly speeding things up.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Came across this on Imgur, found #1 extremely relevant to the discussion at hand.
Global warming exists or doesn't, depending on who you talk to. It's one of those heavily-politicised things where everybody with something to say has an agenda behind their argument.

It's a good idea to steer clear of this "debate".
Anybody with even a basic chemistry education has the tools to calculate the staggering amount of CO2 we are pumping into the atmosphere compared to the greenhouse gases that are formed naturally. People who reject the notion that humans are contributing dramatically to global warming are either rejecting science or are simply uneducated.
author=Adon237
author=facesforce
I agree. No, I do not believe in global warming. nor can man speed up a pre existing cycle, however...

Fixed.

My point is, this is already a cycle that would have happened without us, and we are possibly speeding things up.

No, I am saying that I want more factories and more large buildings. I want us to build to the point that all of space is covered with the creations of mankind. Why should we care about how much the emissions effect the cycle? We are humans, so relax and watch as the world and space bends to our will.
Adon237
author=facesforce
author=Adon237
author=facesforce

Fixed.

No, I am saying that I want more factories and more large buildings. I want us to build to the point that all of space is covered with the creations of mankind. Why should we care about how much the emissions effect the cycle? We are humans, so relax and watch as the world and space bends to our will.

You are starting to bewilder me here. :|
Global warming? I though that was a joke.
author=facesforce

Turning Earth into Coruscant would look cool for a while but everyone would die because of the lack of clean air to breathe :P

The planet regulates itself. Humans cause too much imbalance => the planet kills them all. Vegetation grows back and species are reborn.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
author=facesforce

Why do you think expansion on a galactic scale and taking care of this planet are mutually exclusive.
@Avee: Recycle oxygen like we do in air planes, and all should be fine. I do admit, there would be a sever pollution problem, but that is the sacrifice for power.

@Cave_Dog: They are mutual, because man is bound to the sacrificial principal. There is no escaping that truth. We will expand, and our sacrifice will be destruction.

Besides, the issue at hand is really a joke. Man, destroying the planet? Preposterous. How arrogant can you be to even assume man has the power to destroy the planet? Such arrogance is near lunacy, thus why I support mass industrialization and expansion on a galactic scale.
I'd say we could definitely "destroy" the Earth. Why do you think we can't?
Pages: first 1234 next last