GLOBAL WARMING (AGAIN WITH THE CONTRAVERSY...)

author=Gourd_Clae
I'd say we could definitely "destroy" the Earth. Why do you think we can't?

A simple reason, my good Gourd. This planet takes care of its own, and punishes that which is not. We invented the most terrifying weapon known to man, and look at the cities we used as its trial run? The planet did not die there. It lived on, and regrew. We humans are indeed arrogant beings, to the point we are willing to compare ourselves to gods. No matter what we do, no matter how far we go, that arrogance will hold us down, and the world will teach us our wrongs.
That is what the disasters continually have shown us, including the earthquakes of japan as of last year.
I was sold after you said "my good Gourd". Well, not really, but I get what you're saying.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=facesforce
author=Gourd_Clae
I'd say we could definitely "destroy" the Earth. Why do you think we can't?
A simple reason, my good Gourd. This planet takes care of its own, and punishes that which is not. We invented the most terrifying weapon known to man, and look at the cities we used as its trial run? The planet did not die there. It lived on, and regrew. We humans are indeed arrogant beings, to the point we are willing to compare ourselves to gods. No matter what we do, no matter how far we go, that arrogance will hold us down, and the world will teach us our wrongs.
That is what the disasters continually have shown us, including the earthquakes of japan as of last year.

Thanks, it's really cool seeing this insight from your philosophy 101 class or whatever but unfortunately the potential problem has never been whether the planet will survive but rather "will the planet be habitable to us." and if you know anything about desertification or fast farming or how the world is being turned into a barren wasteland (iraq used to be cradle of eden god bless) then you know that there needs to be a major paradigm shift. also I'm really worried that you believe a nuclear bomb and global warming are at all comparable (most important point, one is obviously localized and does not effect literally the entire planet)

@Cave_Dog: They are mutual, because man is bound to the sacrificial principal. There is no escaping that truth. We will expand, and our sacrifice will be destruction.

lolll this literally does not even mean a single thing. it is gibberish. you are stringing words together and not forming any kind of coherent thought. did you steal this line from a fan-translated snes game
@Gourd: I am glad you understood what I meant.

@Cave_Dog: The sacrificial principle is simple. You give up one thing to gain another thing, of lesser value. Some value is always lost. It is not gibberish, but a fundamental truth to this universe. Also, I taught myself philosophy by studying history, not by some class.

The two are easily comparable as the supposed end result of global warming and nuclear warfare are the one and the same: A inhabitable planet. So why should we care? Build larger and better, cause no matter what we do the result is the same. Man is a fool to believe he can speed up the natural cycle of the planet. What was will happen and what will be will be.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
i advise you to not take your beliefs from full metal alchemist and also to see a brain doctor
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
i advise you to not take your beliefs from full metal alchemist and also to see a brain doctor
Actually, my beliefs are from Dr.Junsalht Reinford's Thesis: "The Sage's crest and The fate of man", written in 1953 and I'll try to take that last part as a joke.
I also would advise further readings from the notes and theories of Jabir ibn Hayyan, if you can find any remains. Note that the further reading is purely for satirical means, and entertainment. Thank you for your interest, and your sad conduct.
EDIT: While you are at it, read the Pseudodoxia Epidemica. It will be educational, before you make ill advice about one's health when you have no words against a fair argument.
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
interesting. i did not think that thousand year old alchemists had so much information on global warming and space travel, but now, i see, they do. i am personally reminded of when i learned that george washington was actually a bad guy (T-Word) from assassin's creed
author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
interesting. i did not think that thousand year old alchemists had so much information on global warming and space travel, but now, i see, they do. i am personally reminded of when i learned that george washington was actually a bad guy (T-Word) from assassin's creed

You would be suprised what is marked down in a man's notebooks, as we imagined much despite that belief. In reality, I was very surprised as well. As for George Washington is concerned, like everything in life, that is perspective.

Oh well, I don't see how anyone could stop the next cycle either.
author=facesforce
horseshit

author=facesforce
horseshit

author=facesforce
horseshit

author=facesforce
horseshit

author=facesforce
horseshit
I don't know about global warming. I'm more about "climate change" or "environmental change". I mean yeah, the temperature of the Earth has risen a bit in the last hundred years or so. It could be how it generally is (it's apparently cyclical) or humans could have a hand in it.

But the effects are more or less the same. I mean there are those horror scenarios but I doubt they're going to happen. It's more about severe famine and the usual stuff. With overpopulation that stuff happens a lot and the fact is...

Well humans do change the environment. At least on a microlevel. Yeah it might not be a global change but there's a lot of local change. (and there always have been). And I basically don't think it can hurt to think about preserving the environment and try not to pump too much of everything everywhere.

The example of the easter islands is a great one (in that article someone linked). Another one is the arrival of humans on Australia (that apparently caused all megafauna on Australia to die out). Australia is a fine example of changing environments. Since apart from the early humans there were also the colonial times with all the new animals brought to the place then. It changed the continent a fair bit.

I don't know if it's myth but apparently Iceland had trees for a while but vikings cut them down to make longboats. I should check this though because it might just be one of those myths about Iceland.

A more recent example is a local one (for me). There's a lot of talk about the Baltic Sea being highly polluted due to all kinds of factors (called overgrowth or something in Swedish, I don't know the English name). the result is a lot of dangerous (to humans) algae during summer and a general decrease in certain species that don't thrive in these waters. Now the reasons for these changes are multiple, there's the global warming factor (or the actual increase in average temperature over the last fifty or so years. I think it's only 0.5C but even such a small amount can destabilize certain systems), there's waste being pumped into the sea (considering that many Soviet countries are nearby it's not hard to imagine all kinds of waste getting thrown in the sea), there's overfishing, etc, etc.

So the result is one that isn't very good for humans and now people have been trying to work together to try to clean up the sea, getting back some of that old "biodiversity". Because as it stands the sea floor apparently is almost dead and most of the fish these days are so called "garbage fish" that isn't hugely useful to humans.

Now global warming or no. Some of these environments are probably worth preserving. Yeah species die out all the time, and new species appear it's one of those things that just happens. Certain species thrive with human intervention. Of course we generally don't seem to like those thriving species, for some reason. (except domesticated animals, we love those :)

And you know once you've changed enough microenvironments the whole things got to change a bit right. Once you cut down all the rainforests you're not exactly going to get them back. Or all the trees from the Easter Island or Iceland.
author=CharlesGabriel
This documentary has already been dismantled. Newer versions even had to outright remove portions because the supporting evidence was so blatantly false. More still is contested as being misrepresented by the very scientists who collected and analyzed the data. Stop looking only for things that support your politics and instead support science.
author=sixe
author=facesforce
horseshit
[

Screw you. My arguments are sound.
A nuclear bomb can a global event, btw, if it eject enough material into the stratosphere. The blocked sunlight by the particles in that upper atmosphere (which can stay aloft for 5 or more years) could be enough to decrease the average worldwide temperatures by a couple of degrees.

The solution to global warming is nuclear war!
User was warned for this post
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
author=Karsuman

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Wow.

Facesforce, that is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

@Kenton
Haha.
Blow us all up, infect the remaining, and then in a couple of hundred years, the planet will be fresh and new! Perfect.
author=kentona
A nuclear bomb can a global event, btw, if it eject enough material into the stratosphere. The blocked sunlight by the particles in that upper atmosphere (which can stay aloft for 5 or more years) could be enough to decrease the average worldwide temperatures by a couple of degrees.

The solution to global warming is nuclear war!
You know what? I completely endorse this. Every one, Let's have a global thermonuclear war to save the planet.

...Okay, I admit the entire alchemist thing got way out of hand. There.