SO, WHAT'S THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THESE FORUMS AND FORUMS.RPGMAKERWEB.COM?

Pages: first 12 next last
To what degree do they overlap? What subjects are better discussed here, and what subjects are better discussed there? (I know this site covers some engines that site doesn't, such as Ren'Py.)

(Sorry if this is already mentioned somewhere, but I didn't see it anywhere.)
We are an independent website built by hobbyists who generally enjoy making RPGs (hence "RPG Maker" as in "Maker of RPGs" and not necessarily the software). Naturally, though, a lot of people gravitate to the RPG Maker software, since it is convenient and easy to use and still relatively powerful and flexible. Perfect for the dabbling hobbyist, that's for sure.

But, we aren't limited to that engine, of course, and over time people have requested different engines be listed for games here (like Ren'Py).

As to the relationship, it is probably best described as a friendly co-existence. There are no official working relationships between us and rpgmakerweb.com, however, they have recently sponsored our Ace game making contest, and we have recently become an Affiliate Vendor of RPG Maker VX Ace.

A lot of people have accounts at both sites and visit both sites (as well as other RM sites, I am sure), and there is no particular division of topics, like "You can only post about Global Warming at RMN!" or the like.
The RPG Maker Web forums are the official forums for the RPG Maker engines that are released outside of Japan (XP, VX, VX Ace) and IGM.

RMN is a large fan forum for indie video game development using easy to use tools (which includes the RPG Maker series).

The relationship is... friendly? I run the rpgmakerweb forums, and I personally like the staff here and kentona is a bro.

As for what is better to ask where... I would say RMN excels in showcasing your game, with its game pages, and there seems to be a lot of discussion of nearly every game posted (of which there are a lot).

RPGMakerWeb is new, but is much more focused specifically on the use of RPG Maker programs, while RMN is much more broad and old. (New and Old both have their advantages and disadvantages)

I think they are both pretty awesome places to hang, and hanging around both is I think a great idea for any serious RMer.
Erm... RMN is still new-ish compared to now dead classics like Gamingw.org and Kobra's Realn and its irk, so calling it old is very... Well, either way. Rpg Maker Web is not the first rpg maker site to pop up, nor do I suspect it to be the last!

I would be careful, Mr. Touchfuzzy to make sure your site does not make a sudden turn into pure gray territory like with Crankeye.com, where moral and legal boundaries are pushed.

Other then that, the relationship is somewhat friendly. I have found RMN to be a bit... Elitist in the past, compared to other RM or Indie sites in general, but this has died down after the Wiptator was over thrown.
author=facesforce
Erm... RMN is still new-ish compared to now dead classics like Gamingw.org and Kobra's Realn and its irk, so calling it old is very...

I dunno, any site that has been around for at least 5 year (I forget just how old this incarnation of RMN is) is somewhat old in my opinion.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Well, I mean, there was that whole plan for Enterbrain to launch IG Maker on this site and for them to buy the domain name but

looooooooool.
rpgmakerweb.com is more about engine development, and seems to be alot more strict about legal things (and understandably so, since they are an official company), where rmn is more about game development. If that makes any sense.
author=facesforce
Erm... RMN is still new-ish compared to now dead classics like Gamingw.org and Kobra's Realn and its irk, so calling it old is very... Well, either way. Rpg Maker Web is not the first rpg maker site to pop up, nor do I suspect it to be the last!

Actually, the original RMN is quite old. Around the 1998-2000 mark, old, if I recall correctly. It's been updated and revamped a lot over the years to finally become what it is today.

That said, RMN is geared more towards hobbyists of all types whilst RMWeb is more for those who want to focus on the more official and newer versions of RM* and IGM.

Both offer help where needed, though RMN is more towards presenting games whereas RMW is more learning how to use the new makers.

RMN allows lots of different programs and would be killed if a SOPA bill passed.
RMW probably wouldn't.

RMN offers hosting space.
RMW is working on it. ^.~

RMN doesn't deal with galleries for resources, or focus on resources at all, really.
RMW does offer galleries.

RMN isn't high on the script scene, though that's starting to change a bit.
RMW is bigger in that aspect.

RMN is stricter about forum posts, or at least has more rules about what is and isn't allowed.
RMW is more open about forum posts.

RMN has the awesome event feature.
RMW doesn't have one as yet, but will probably work on getting something like that in the future.

Most RMN staff have been in the RM* 'world' for more than two or three years. Some since the inception of RM forums. There's also a lot of these old-world people that hang around the forums and IRC.
RMW staff are mostly newer to the scene and draw in a newer crowd more readily, though there's a lot of crossover between the two sites.

Both share members. Both are set up differently. Both offer aid to newbies. Both have forums where you can shoot the breeze. Both have fun and are great sites!

There's more points I'm missing but that's the general low down.
author=Liberty
author=facesforce
Actually, the original RMN is quite old. Around the 1998-2000 mark, old, if I recall correctly. It's been updated and revamped a lot over the years to finally become what it is today.

Yes, this is true. RMN is very old as a brand. The latest incarnation, though, like UPRC mentioned, is about 5 years old, dating back to June of 2007.
author=Liberty
RMN is stricter about forum posts, or at least has more rules about what is and isn't allowed.
RMW is more open about forum posts.

I would disagree with that. RMW has shut down a ton of threads that would be made fun of here, but not necessarily closed. I think RMN allows more freedom of speech.
I was thinking more like game advertisements and topics, silly stuff outside of the Moron Forum, image macros, moronic begging for help in the help forum, flaming... stuff like that.
There's been a lot of cracking down on stuff. Also, reviews are more moderated and checked, same with game profiles and whatnot. Idiotic questions about how long a game profile will be added and why isn't it added yet? People who make dummy accounts after being banned. People inciting flame wars...

A person can go into a game thread and post their review and it might be 10 words in length. We have more moderated standards for things like that.

Also, ignore feature~ and RMW has a twit/fb/message thing.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
Despite is RMN exclusive.
author=Liberty
Most RMN staff have been in the RM* 'world' for more than two or three years. Some since the inception of RM forums. There's also a lot of these old-world people that hang around the forums and IRC.
RMW staff are mostly newer to the scene and draw in a newer crowd more readily, though there's a lot of crossover between the two sites.

I wouldn't say that much. Most of the RMW staff are carryovers from the last forum I was an admin at (rpgmakervx.net, which is a hellish place owned by a shitty ad mill company), and most of them have been in the RM world for years.

Also, I would point out that the whole "WE ARE THE OLD CROWD" thing that RMN carries around is part of the reason this site comes off elitist at times (To be a veteran RMer and make good games, you have to have been doing it for AT LEAST FIVE YEARS (something I saw on this site once that made me laugh))
author=tpasmall
I would disagree with that. RMW has shut down a ton of threads that would be made fun of here, but not necessarily closed. I think RMN allows more freedom of speech.

I'm also curious as to what threads this would be. I know I've put a kibosh on forum games, mostly because they aren't really conducive to actually discussing anything, but I'm curious as to what discussions were shut down that you think is infringing any freedom of speech?
author=Touchfuzzy
(To be a veteran RMer and make good games, you have to have been doing it for AT LEAST FIVE YEARS (something I saw on this site once that made me laugh))

jokes on you, that's actually a fact
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Touchfuzzy
Also, I would point out that the whole "WE ARE THE OLD CROWD" thing that RMN carries around is part of the reason this site comes off elitist at times (To be a veteran RMer and make good games, you have to have been doing it for AT LEAST FIVE YEARS (something I saw on this site once that made me laugh))

We've been trying to shed this image as of late (is it working?)
author=Touchfuzzy
author=Liberty
I wouldn't say that much. Most of the RMW staff are carryovers from the last forum I was an admin at (rpgmakervx.net, which is a hellish place owned by a shitty ad mill company), and most of them have been in the RM world for years.

I wasn't doing a 'we are the old crowd'* shout out, just pointing out that a lot of the older RMers hang around here more than some of the other sites. That's mostly because other, older haunts have been closed and the newer sites cater more towards some of the newer programs, which the die-hard 2k and 2k3ers are more reluctant to jump into.

Personally, I'm on a lot of sites and I've been around since 98, so... I just pointed out something I'd noticed. It wasn't meant to be criticism of any kind, just a general observation.

Basically, RMN and RMW have a few small differences but they're both great sites for any enthusiast to check out.

*(By older crowd, I kinda meant those who've been around since RM95-2K. That old. As I said, just an observation.)
I don't see why this escalated to a What RM forum is better? discussion.

He simply wanted to know why we were separate forums, if we had any affiliations with one another, and what the differences were if they were any.

RMW (rpgmakerweb.com) is the official RPG Maker forum for the English releases of the software. It's forum is newer, but the members range from old and new. A large portion of the members at RMW are also members at RMN. They are not mutually exclusive.

RMN (rpgmaker.net) is a community focused on Hobbyist Game Making. It is not limited to RPG Maker, but due to its roots in the RPG Maker series and it's name, it is heavily inflated with RPG Maker related content. The emphasis at RMN is on producing product, displaying and promoting it, and garnering constructive feedback to improve the product. Many of the most active threads at RMN have been about game development topics; theory, implementation, and player response are the desired outcomes of these types of discussion.

That isn't to say RMW isn't a place where that kind of conversation is viable, or that there are any differences in their forums at all.

The primary difference, I think, is that RMN has a Game Page system and a front page people actually use, and RMW is primarily forum driven.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Pages: first 12 next last