[CONTEST] RPG MAKING COMPETITION WITH PRIZES RPG4D

Pages: first 123 next last
LINK TO COMPETITION
On Tuesday the 1st of May 2012, at 0:00am GMT, you will have three months to make an RPG (see Rules for details).
You must then submit your RPG by Wednesday the 1st of August 2012, at 0:00am GMT, after which the winners will be decided.
This will be the grand finale of Competition Four Digits 2011/2012, a competition three times longer than any other in the year!
RULES:
1. The aim of the competition is to develop entirely your own game within the time limit (1st May - 1st August). You MUST submit your final game before the 1st of August 2012. You will have to keep up to date with my blog posts to find out how to submit your final game.
2. You MUST have stated you are going to enter before the 1st of May 2012.
3. You MUST NOT include anything in the game that you don't have full permission to use or significant amounts of game content that you had already made prior to the competition.
4. Your final game MUST have "RPG elements", specifically relating to the gameplay (eg anything such as experience points, inventories, quests, turn-based combat, etc. Fantasy themes and long storylines are common in RPGs, but not related to the gameplay).
5. There are no programming language/game engine restrictions except that the game MUST run on Windows 7 and MUST NOT require additional software installation.
6. Don't be a cheater.
7. ONE entry per person, maximum team of FOUR.
8. I reserve the right to update or otherwise change the rules and to disqualify any entrant who breaks the rules.

PRIZES:
(Subject to improvement from donations, keep checking back)
1st
$400 Prize Money
A copy of RPG Maker VX Ace each*
One copy of GameMaker 8.1, HTML5 and a GameMaker T-shirt
Featured on YoYo Games (if game created with Game Maker 8.0+)
Featured on Game Jolt AND a Game Jolt T-shirt
64d Comp Winner Badge each*
IUP Bundle each*
SPECIAL PRIZE: The winner gets to suggest ONE bugfix or feature that goes into 64digits next. Must be feasible and sensible.

2nd
$30 Prize Money
Steam games of your choice worth $50 total
Up to two copies of Ace (and any other RPG Maker for the remaining team)**
Featured on Game Jolt
64d Comp Finalist Badge each*
IUP Bundle each*

3rd
$20 Prize Money
Steam games of your choice worth $30 total
One copy of Ace (and any other RPG Maker for the remaining team)**
Featured on Game Jolt
IUP Bundle each*

4th
Renegade Ops on Steam
Up to three copies of any RPG Maker except Ace**
IUP Bundle each*

5th
Up to two copies of any RPG Maker except Ace**
IUP Bundle each*

The RPG Maker honourable mention award
The best game made with an RPG Maker product receives additional prizes from the RPG Maker guys.

*These prizes are one copy for every member of your team, or just one copy for you if you're working alone. Your team members must have an account here to qualify.
**Number of copies depends on number of team members. See first footnote.

Remember, this is a communal effort! This competition is only for fun. If you want prizes, give as you wish to receive. Suggested donations would be Steam games, Amazon vouchers or something similar, rather than cash.

I hope you take the time to check it out!
NB: This is a non-profit competition hosted on a non-profit website.

64digits Creative Community
Comp Four Digits 2011-12 Game Making Competition League Table

Scary Four Digits September 2011 Game Comp (Halloween Theme, Finished)
Frosty Four Digits December 2011 Game Comp (Winter Theme, Finished)
Valentine Four Digits January 2012 Game Comp (Love Theme, Finished)
Sixty Fool Digits March 2012 Game Comp (Random Theme, Finished)
RPG Four Digits May 2012 Game Comp (RPG Theme, Ongoing)
What theme and what types of game?
Well that's the strange and wonderful thing. We're not an RPG making community, we're a game making community, so it is not considering dull or boring that the theme is simply RPGs and type of games is simply RPGs, because barely anyone makes RPGs in our community.

However I can understand why an RPG theme might be considered dull or boring here. However, you folks are experienced in this genre, so I figured you might be able to offer some worthy competition. Plus there's prizes, if you need extra motivation.

If you really want to follow a specific theme, I suggest visiting
http://videogamena.me/
It's simply classic.
Sounds sweet.

So, I assume we do this in RPG Maker? Any RPG Maker, for that matter?
I'm thinking of using RM2k3, but I'd like to know for sure, just in case.

And this would have to start no earlier than May 1st?
I've registered an account at the site and thrown my hat in under the name Afr0Blu3
author=Aero
So, I assume we do this in RPG Maker? Any RPG Maker, for that matter?
I'm thinking of using RM2k3, but I'd like to know for sure, just in case.
"5. There are no programming language/game engine restrictions except that the game MUST run on Windows 7 and MUST NOT require additional software installation."

Also this seems cool. Fortunately I have until May to decide. Summer is a very busy time.
Tempting but so many work and projects already :(
I'll participate if somebody wants to team up with me. I can art and somebody can program, and we can figure out a design together.
Sounds like an up and coming community site that needs a bit of a boost, so a contest to generate more interest may work. My only thoughts on the site is that it's a bit of a cluster trying to find games (hell, you've got 100+ pages to surf through), so a lot of games will get lost in the shuffle. My advice, create a category that breaks these down (Category 1 can be rpg, real time, strategy, tactics. Category 2 can be platform/arcade/shooter. Category 3 can be simulation/puzzles...)
@amerkevicius Well... we've been around longer than this site, but I know what you mean, the actual game portal on 64digits is weak. I think it's being worked on for a future version of the site.

But to be honest we don't even use the game portal for the competition, you just submit your game via PM to me, and then I put up a blog (which will be pinned onto the front page) with all the competition entries. You're then free to upload your game to wherever else you like.
I'll consider it. My problem is that my two main series are traditional RPGs, and I really like to try and expand my horizons when entering these contests... in fact, I'd hoped to try my hand at a puzzle game or something next time one of these came around.

Still, 3 months, and each eden legacy game I made was done in 4, so it isn't an impossible task.
Good luck to everyone :-)
If anybody needs music I will join your team for free.
No 2k3 or 2k? Guess it's time to buy Ace.....wait, why am i considering buying Ace? Of course i will! (In, like, 6 months. ugu.)

Eh hem, well, anyway, i suppose i could brainstorm, or something, then. Heh.
well if i join this competition i may win a steam game worth 40$ and brought the portal 1 and 2 or the orange box package of valve. or i will buy that ys game from steam (there many to choose from...*brain exploded lolz...*)
and also remember my last game idea well now is 60% possible i will start creating it during the competition.
Gibmaker
I hate RPG Maker because of what it has done to me
I guess there are no restrictions as to content?
Apart from being your own content, nope.
So it's gotta be fully custom? Either way I'm thinking about entering and making a fully custom 8-bit style game.
Damnit double post
Pages: first 123 next last