BATTLING IN GAMES, BUT.. WHY?

author=Craze
Caz, if you're interested in pacifistic leads that are way better than a Tales game cut-out, you should probably play Exit Fate.

Isn't that game more like a "battle-every-two-steps" game? Plus, the story was lifted from Suikoden II, the music was stolen (full tracks) from commercial RPGs like Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger. So I don't recommend playing the game since it is derivative of so many other games.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Having never played the Suikoden games I don't mind the story being ripped too much, and I can live with hearing stolen music considering how great lots of commerical tracks are. I guess I'll reserve judgement for after having played Exit Fate..
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
thatbennyguy
Isn't that game more like a "battle-every-two-steps" game? Plus, the story was lifted from Suikoden II, the music was stolen (full tracks) from commercial RPGs like Secret of Mana & Final Fantasy & Chrono Trigger. So I don't recommend playing the game since it is derivative of so many other games.

squaresoft sin is a well-known RM* phenomenon, deal with it? like seriously it took me a year after playing EF to thing of Frog's Theme as itself and not "EF's headquarters theme"

re: "story lifted from suikoII," no

no, you're wrong

SuikoII is one of my favorite games, as is EF, and their ARE similarities for the first part of the game, but SCF moves beyond that. Something incredibly important about SCF's games is that he takes tradition and starts out with it, then MERCILESSLY BREAKS IT. "Last Scenario" is a play on "Final Fantasy" as a title, and it uproots so many of the cliches it sets up effectively and without doing it for the sake of being ~different~. Playing the first five hours of an SCF game is going to have you say "this is every SNES RPG ever" or "this is SuikoII," yes, and this is pretty much entirely on purpose.

I promise you, Exit Fate is extraordinarily separate from SuikoII after its beginnings. It is a homage to the Suikoden series and uses some Suikoden music/uses all of Suikoden's tilesets (and one terrible 2k RTP lava cave...) and then

expands into something unique, glorious and moving.

so, play it and you'll realize just how wrong you are
I actually never made it through Exit Fate. I actually didn't make it past the first town you visit. I had to pay money for some kind of pass or ticket and couldn't exit the city to fight monsters for gold, but I had already spent all of my money on items. I've heard it's swell, but I got too agitated after that and didn't want to sit through the intro again.
I like the personas and also the harvest moon/rf series. Id play a game like this but a game with out battles i usually dont bother with. Have you ever played azure dreams? You get to build a town and upgrade your house and all the battles just take place in a tower. Not to much story but still a lot of fun. The story mainly expands off of upgrading the town. You could make the point of battles to collect resources needed for buildings. Or finding people to own shops, run hospitals, and the such. Good luck Caz.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
author=Caz
As for your RPG idea with the eating of maidens and carrots, I lol'd but still considered it quite seriously. I mean, wanting to eat is a good reason to kill other things/people but.. can't he eat something else? Why does he hunger for flesh? Isn't he worried about cannibalism causing spongiform encephalopathy and other such craziness? Or maybe he's already under their hold, and that's why he craves more flesh? XD It's just little nitpicking reasonings behind why you're ever fighting that I like. I hate when you start off in an RPG and are told to 'save the princess' or whatever, so you immediately GRAB YOUR SWORD and KILL EVERY FLUFFY CREATURE IN THE FOREST on your way to get her. 'cause you're a lovely guy and chicks dig the fresh blood of innocent puppies. <3
Dude, evil bad guys have a reputation to uphold! Maybe the Demon lord is a black hole of a creature struggling to fill himself with the souls of the living; maybe it's part of his curse; maybe he's worried he'll look like a wuss if he doesn't.Smetimes you worry too much. Thinking is good, but don't overthink. OH, and while you're at it, look at this.
I like gaining Exp through more than just fighting to keep the game fresh. Like Facebook or Hidden Objects, gain points by going places and finding things, or helping out - Nice Guy Experience :). Also collecting things like in many platformers.. toy soldiers/dolls/playing cards/magazines etcetera.
You level up on Yahoo Answers by answering peoples' questions about random things, which might say something to how universal the appeal of leveling up is.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Facebook games haunt me eternally. You sign up to one thinking, "oh, that looks like a nice game!" and you play around a bit and have a small amount of fun getting exp from every little action and it's great. But then you get to a later stage where it says, "you need 10 of this item. You can only get this item from your friends, OR would you like to give Zynga all of your money instead?!" and while I love the idea of getting my friends to help me and me helping them, I am on the receiving end of this far too often. Every day I'll get "this person wants you to send them this" and.. I don't want to commit myself to doing that EVERY SINGLE DAY for them until they finish their dumb quest/get bored of the game. Maybe if their games weren't so centred around friends and money, they'd be decent concepts for a bit of a timesink each day. Then there's the waiting in between of getting people to send you stuff.. or your crops growing/buildings building/trees chopping/water splooshing/gun loading/self shooting/arrgghhhhhhhh make it end.

But I do love games where little actions get you a bit of exp. This was done okay-ishly in Fallout 3 where you'd disarm a bear trap or some shiz and you'd get exp/level up in order to progress. But that's where it became too vague. Hacking a computer terminal and levelling up from it meant you could put points into anything. Even strength. Hacking = physically stronger? Buh? Unless you beat that computer into submission with your amazing muscles, I don't see how that translates. Perhaps if hacking the computer specifically gave you extra intelligence or beating a man to death with your enormous legs gave you more strength, it'd be a better concept.

Speaking of better concepts, I have been playing a game called 'Haven & Hearth' as of recent and, despite the immense lag, the "levelling" system does not enrage me too badly. Each time you perform a new action, say, picking some carrots or drying some tea leaves for the first time, you get a small portion of Learning Points. You can also get these by studying 'curiosities' which you can make or find and take a bit of time up before they give you your LP. Anyway, point is that you can spend your LP on skills which will allow you to do more actions. So, you can spend them on mining or cloth making or first aid or fighting skills, and so on. Each of the skills is in a tree too, so one will unlock another or several more. I think it's an alright concept because it encourages you to try everything out to get more LP. You also have base stats like strength/intelligence/perception/etc. which will increase depending on the food you eat. Fish increases intelligence, I think. And the more INT you have, the more curiosities you can study/other stuff. It's cool-ish, but I've yet to really delve into how good it will continue to be..

Yahoo Answers does have a sort of attraction to it. Like, you're not really helping people for the sake of being nice, but for being the one who is the BEST at answering stuff. It's quite self-centred, but I know what you mean about its appeal. :P But would you rather go on Yahoo Answers and answer questions or play a game instead? Or would you consider it to be the same thing?

At the minute, I'm going for some wacky Harvest Moon-y game from the ideas in this thread. You'll run a farm of just animals: cows, sheep, chickens - you know, animals. Every so often, a nasty monster (or several) will attack your farm. These will be pretty damn difficult, so you'll probably have to cooperate with other people in the town (blacksmith, doctors) to get all the equipment you need. You will be able to provide a few things for yourself, but it'll naturally be easier using your relationships with townspeople. Anyhow, if you lose against these monsters, the town will suffer in some way. Animals will go missing from your farm/villagers may become injured and.. maybe they might even die, causing you to look for your own stuff to make up for what they can no longer provide you with. So if the doctor dies, you damn well better have a save file before it happened or be willing to look for your own medicines. Do you think this is too harsh, or do you find the reality of the possible dangers somewhat exciting?

I realise this is a long post, probably to make up for not posting in a while.. my bad. ^^ My main questions are underlined to make things easier.
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
You know what you could do? You could try to make fighting as DREAM sequences.
Because nothing has to have a reason, per say, if you're dreaming it. People have dreams about stuff that doesn't even necessarily make sense to them. So maybe you live your life normally in this MODERN world, but when you go to sleep, you're popped into this fantasy world. This world where you fight, and it doesn't connect with your real world. This way you can work around 2 stories.

Each time you sleep, you're popped into the world, and say have a timer that counts down a few hours (really, few hours) and you play as characters in the fantasy world. You fight in this world. And just do stuff that doesn't really make sense in a real world situation. Once the hours are up, you wake up.

Multiple characters to choose from, perhaps? Multiple dream sequences, and maybe some dream connection that connects different dreamers together.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
You know, it's really quite weird you'd say that because that is essentially the exact setting of the game I'm currently working on. :/ The main character has narcolepsy brought on by stress and, naturally, he is frequently stressed or scared by something (mainly monsters trying to attack him, but similar to a possum, they leave him alone when he's "playing dead"). He falls asleep and has to play out a certain challenge in his dream, ie. saving the world, or a personal goal like traveling somewhere. He will be in turmoil within his own brain deciding on whether he wants to actually wake up or not. If he doesn't wake up, the monsters might kill him. If he does, he has to go back to his crappy life of narcolepsy and other stuff he doesn't like. I have more, but I'm still ironing out a lot of the details.. I figure each dream will take up one game.

EDIT: Here's the Word document of my basic plot thusfar:

Stann's past

2023: The recession had been causing a few small scale riots over jobs, but the population had breached its limits and money was becoming thin. Huge riots break out everywhere, thousands are killed daily, animal rights activists release animals from zoos in the panic, blahblah, all kinds of shit goes down. Rose and Stann, amongst people trying to flee the city in their cars, try to escape the city on foot. In the crowds, Stann loses her hand. He pushes through, trying to find her. He never does. He spends weeks without rest trying to find her in the abandoned city, but still fails. He remains in the apartment forever, hoping she'll come back.

2031: Stann, age 39 (8 years after the incident), has become slightly crazy and has delusional episodes in the time he is awake. Vicious animals have started to inhabit the city to prey upon its abandoned food, and they will occasionally see Stann meaning he will be scared into a narcoleptic coma. They attack him out of fear, but leave him alone when they see he has "died". They have no desire to eat him.

NARCOLEPTIC ADVENTURES, HO!

The player will navigate the map as a cursor over the city, investigating places for food, etc.. The hinted at place to go after the beginning of the game is a nearby dead restaurant, will naturally incur the appearance of a vicious animal and send Stann into another narcoleptic adventure. The animal will think Stann is dead and walk off. They don't seem to want to eat Stann, which concerns him a little when he's not in a dream. He wonders if he is special (a lot of delusions of grandeur), or if they just don't like the taste of human flesh. Interaction in environments such as the restaurant will be done by a basic background with character pictures placed over the top: usually Stann talking or a description of what's going on.

Gameplay

Hero's wife leaves after she fears for her life in recent monster attacks. Hero is left to run the small animal farm by himself, raising food to stay alive. He must raise money from his animals, keep himself well fed, protect his animals from monsters and survive amongst the town people until he finds the source of the monsters and everyone can live peacefully again. Generic hero stuff.

- Hero gets three animal pens which hold animals of choice. These animals can be chosen to join the party and have various equipments: horsehoes, saddles, etc. They can be taken into the various dungeons of the town which contain puzzles that may require the use of a certain animal, hidden rooms, items, etc.
- Animal boxes: animal's level will indicate its quality, which will result in better items if culled.
- Animals can give: meat, animal hide, bone, blood, rennet, suet, other spoils. Animal's welfare is decided through its state. Illness may cause the animal to be worse in battle. After recovering from illness, it may lose a few levels of quality.
- Hero can hunt for tall grass to use as fodder to feed the animals each day or buy it from the merchant, who will charge a higher sum but provide better quality grass.
- Every few days, the town will be attacked by creatures. The hero must use the help of the blacksmith and medic to equip himself well enough to fight the monsters. If he succeeds, the town is safe for another day. Should he fail, he may face losing an animal or even a townsmember. The hero must then provide the goods for himself, finding metals and herbs to create his own armours and medicines respectively.
- Every 5 levels, more equipment will become available in the shops for the hero to buy.
- Town members will have 30 social levels which can be unlocked to give new dialogue and item shops/deals.
- There is no time of day, and sleeping is the only way to progress. While getting to the next day may refresh shops of their limited stock, it will get the hero closer to the next monster attack.

Thiamor
In either case, a dream doesn't really have to make sense, and if you wish for it to, you could always do this.

• Plan out how many GAMES this will span. Then at the end of the last game, that is when you found out the reason for the dreams. This way you don't have to worry about the reason for the fighting as much, until the final game.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Mwell I guess there're no real reasons behind dreams, and most people dream at night so I wouldn't feel too weird about putting that in with little explanation. I do feel there will be a lot of symbolism in them all though, and I hope to tie them all up pretty nicely at the end.

Thanks for your help and advice, by the way. ^^ That goes for everyone. I'm gradually tying pieces together now, and I'm already into making the plotline/gameplay of several future games. This thread has been suuuper useful, and I hope I'm not the only one getting great inspiration from what's been said!
Thiamor
Well given the fact that he gets attacked, and what has happened. There is your reason. Say that when he is awake, he is too scared to do anything. But in his dreams, he can do anything. So in his dreams, he lives out what he wishes he could really do. To actually fight back. If stuff like that happens, in a dramatic sense, people normally dream about things they want to do, but couldn't. That is a simplified reason.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Yeah, I suppose you're right about that. I hadn't considered him being too fearful to fight for himself and that being a reason behind falling asleep all the time.

My current ideas for symbolism are things like rebuilding society (games where you have to rebuild the town, as mentioned before in this thread), trying to find a person or being upset that someone has left/died, and even just human interaction. All of these dreams will have a relationship mechanic where you get to befriend the people you're around for whatever reason. For someone who is all alone in the world, it makes sense that he'd dream of talking to other people.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Instead of Persona, consider a game like Shenmue. There's fighting in a slightly modern day setting (I think it's set in the 80's or something?)
Fighting is part of it. You fight to move forward.
In ye olde times, people didn't go into the countryside to fight a cockatrice for fun. That's fantasy.
In FF8, the setting is meant to be modern/futuristic and yet still fighting.
If you're creating a world, you can do whatever you want.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
author=Dudesoft
In ye olde times, people didn't go into the countryside to fight a cockatrice for fun. That's fantasy.

I dunno about that, there's still game hunting in a modern day setting. If I had the opportunity and it had less stigma, I'd certainly rather have fun obtaining my food by getting it myself than going to the supermarket for it.

I do get what you mean, though. I hate that a lot of fantasy games see the heroes go out and beat the living hell out of everything and everyone for no reason. FF8 was.. weird. I liked it. A lot. But it still weirds me out. Particularly how it makes you think that Squall's party was the first to ever get the opportunity to go to a cave (that's been there for - y'know - forever) to go fight Ifrit. Why did no one else in Balamb Garden think to go to the cave right next to the garden to do some training? Also, FF8 makes me suffer from the GF effect in that I remember nothing about it! I've played it two or three times through, and I can't remember anything that happened.

Back to the Ifrit mystery, I can't help but think about these things when playing games which sort of ruin the setting for me a little.. I still enjoy a lot of them, but I take them less seriously than when they're patched together nicely.

It sucks that I never found a copy of Shenmue 'cause I've heard awesome things about it (mainly the music). When I get the money, I wanna buy as many olde games that have been recommended to me as possible. I feel like I missed out. D: I rarely had the money for games as a child, hence why I turned to RPG Maker to make my own.

If I were to create my own world to base a game in, it'd be a lot easier to put fighting into it because I could just abuse a fantasy setting or make fighting a major part of the world/something with a decent explanation behind it. I find what I'd lack the ability to do is make a better, more fun battle experience. Must.. learn.. RGSS.. I think that is my next step in game making.
Thiamor
author=Caz
author=Dudesoft
I dunno about that, there's still game hunting in a modern day setting. If I had the opportunity and it had less stigma, I'd certainly rather have fun obtaining my food by getting it myself than going to the supermarket for it.

I do get what you mean, though. I hate that a lot of fantasy games see the heroes go out and beat the living hell out of everything and everyone for no reason. FF8 was.. weird. I liked it. A lot. But it still weirds me out. Particularly how it makes you think that Squall's party was the first to ever get the opportunity to go to a cave (that's been there for - y'know - forever) to go fight Ifrit. Why did no one else in Balamb Garden think to go to the cave right next to the garden to do some training?

Um. It never once implied you were the first to ever do it. It even stated it was part of the test for everyone. A GF is like a Draw point in FF8. Anyone can get it, plot wise (not game-play wise). Thus meaning THAT is why Ifrit was still in that cave.

Most people need to pay a bit more attention to the beginning of the game.
Caz
LET'SBIAN DO THIS.
Well like I said, I've forgotten most everything about the game. But it never explains how everyone who's finished the test can summon Ifrit. I imagine that gets a bit annoying for him. Plus, it doesn't even look like the cave has been touched at all. I didn't say there was no explanation within the game, just that it made me think Squall was first to use it due to an overall lack of people in the area or any signs it had been used. Sorry, I should've explained that better. :P
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I think Ifrit joined you because you have Shiva. They don't really explain why you have Shiva though, maybe Squall got them on lone from the school. Like a text book.
I wonder what the other students had? There must have been hundreds of GFs you never see.