GAME LIST SORTING

Pages: 1
So, I was asked about something that ended up becoming an idea of being able to sort your current games list so that your picks are at the top. Sort of like a personal Featured Games list within your own games. This way you'd be able to show off the games you want to be seen and played more easily.

Currently games lists are sorted alphabetically and you've got your best game ever shoved between your 5 hour contest entry and that newbie game you made back in '99.

Maybe having the ability to flag some games to go to the top of the list would be a good idea.

Other ideas discussed were a small notation of what year the game was created, making the list sortable by years and stars and if there should be something like a star or mark to indicate that said game was a Featured Game at one point.

So, ideas or thoughts on this... do you have any?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Not any additional ideas but I do support this. With your games, you want to put your best foot forward, not like just show off the game called abadgamethatsstillaround rated 1/5 that you did in a day first and zeebestgameever rated 5/5 that is stuck in page 2 which is actually the one that shows off what you can do.

Or perhaps have something like a custom divider which you can make up to 3 of and name it. Then decide which games go under it, for example:

<ROGUELIKES>
*list 3 games
<PLATFORMERS>
*list 1 game

or

<CURRENT GAMES>
*list 2 games
<OLD GAMES>
*list 4 games
<DONT PLAY THIS BUT ITS HERE>
*list 2 games

Obviously the more difficult to do than "put the 3 personal featured ones on top" but that could offer a lot more flexibility.

if there should be something like a star or mark to indicate that said game was a Featured Game at one point.
These would be good too, so you can at least see that the 1.5 / 5 reviewed game was from 1985 and the 4 / 5 reviewed game was from 2009 at a glance so you can see you improved rather than just see 2 games together and think the person either got lucky with that game or something.
I think something like this would be good.

perhaps a series of custom sub-headings (people could put series into a heading, or just separate new stuff from old stuff, or stuff they like from stuff they no longer like, etc etc) for the games list with a choice of ordering them as you like.

Edit: Welp, ninja'd by ocean.
I don't have anything to add, but these ideas are awesome.
Sounds like a good idea! Or perhaps a filtering feature on the user's game list. It could filter the top rated games or it could filter the games with the most views/downloads.
Good idea. Now I just have make enough things to warrant use of this kind of sorting >.>
Well, I was toying around with the idea of allowing users to select their personal "Game To Showcase" and have that show first on their profile, and maybe other places. Would that work?
That sounds good, Mr. Kent.

I'm all in favor of this idea (although, I doubt most people would have enough games to fill 2 pages, or more, or need them to be catalogued).

What about, like, placing the games in order based on DOWNLOADS, DATE FINISHED, MOST REVIEWS, LEAST REVIEWS, COMMENTS, BUZZ, etc.?
author=Brent
That sounds good, Mr. Kent.

I'm all in favor of this idea (although, I doubt most people would have enough games to fill 2 pages, or more, or need them to be catalogued).

What about, like, placing the games in order based on DOWNLOADS, DATE FINISHED, MOST REVIEWS, LEAST REVIEWS, COMMENTS, BUZZ, etc.?

Nah, I like the personal showcase idea best. That way you'd have complete control over which projects you show off. (This from someone who just hit the three page mark >.<; )
You'd be surprised how quickly those contest entries, event games, collaborative and personal games all add up.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
author=Liberty
=
Nah, I like the personal showcase idea best. That way you'd have complete control over which projects you show off. (This from someone who just hit the three page mark >.<; )
You'd be surprised how quickly those contest entries, event games, collaborative and personal games all add up.
Yeah essentially this. It's like

"OK, these games are old, these games are dumb experiments, these games are silly 2 day projects, but I actually want to show off THESE actual projects of mine first" rather than "This is my one bestest project". Especially if it's like a community game, it is pretty bad to show off 2 / 5 even if your part was the only good part and it was everyone elses fault for example.

I do like the definable subcategories idea best but having top 3 would be okay too.
I will take a look at the code for the user's game list and see how easy it would be to implement and manage. No promises though.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
So is this easy to implement and manage?
author=Ocean
So is this easy to implement and manage?
Nope. But I'll see what I can do.
Pages: 1