RM2K3 - IS THERE A WAY FOR COMMON EVENTS TO STOP MAP EVENTS HALFWAY?

Pages: first 12 next last
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
I have a Common Event that shows a message and a game over screen when the timer ends.

But if the hero talks with someone when the timer ends then all the text boxes show after the Common Event starts (it eventually gets to the Game Over screen, but not before the NPC finishes talking...).

Is there any way to stop a map event halfway, so that the Common Event proceeds without interruptions?
Try this:
Make a new page in the event you want to stop (I suppose it is the NPC's talk) and put nothing in this page but activate it with a switch.
Then, when your timer runs out, activate that switch.
iddalai
Unfortunately I still get the same issue. The maker insists in continue the NPC process to the end before allowing the Common Event to take place.

Any more ideas?

EDIT: I could add a Conditional Branch between every text box with a "End Event Processing" that would be activated when the timer ends. But it's a bit counterproductive...
Have you tried ticking the box under Message Display Options, "Allow other events to continue while message is shown."?

I remember having a problem like this, and it did solve it. Maybe this'll work for you.
iddalai
Still the same issue :(

I don't want to be an ungrateful bastard so: Thanks Avee and Essenceblade for suggesting a possible solution ;)
author=iddalai
EDIT: I could add a Conditional Branch between every text box with a "End Event Processing" that would be activated when the timer ends. But it's a bit counterproductive...

This might work though.
iddalai
I tested it in a single event (a boss with some text before and after the battle) and it did work, I was trying to avoid using this solution since it means I'll have to change all events in the game :(

But unless someone else has an easier solution I'll have to do it, I only remembered about this one after your reply.

Good thing it's a small game...
I don't really understand what's the problem is, but if it is what I think it is: Try saving the timer and on a variable and stop it right before you speak to a npc or something. And once the event is over, restart the timer (if needed be) using that same variable... Even if you have to do this to all the events in your game, it seems to be the better solution.
iddalai
That wouldn't work for me since the timer is supposed to run while the player moves around doing his stuff, when the timer gets to 0 it's game over, stopping the timer before each event would kill its purpose.

But thanks anyway.
Make the event you want to stop a parallel event.
iddalai
author=calunio
Make the event you want to stop a parallel event.

I'm sorry, but how do I do that? O_o

EDIT: lol, I thought you meant: make the event (the game over) stop parallel events.
Select "Parallel Process" under "Trigger Condition" in the event's page.
It will make the event run automatically alongside other events, but I doubt this will work for you for an NPC.
iddalai
Yeah, since they are mostly NPC it won't work for me.

Thanks people, I'll try to solve this another way.

(lol, I thought calunio meant: make the event (the game over) stop parallel events. That's why I asked how...)
author=iddalai
Yeah, since they are mostly NPC it won't work for me.
Thanks people, I'll try to solve this another way.
(lol, I thought calunio meant: make the event (the game over) stop parallel events. That's why I asked how...)

Ok, I just tested a way, and it works. But you would have to change every NPC event in the game.
So, never mind, I guess?
With your standard NPCs, there's not much you can do parallel with the dialogue box open. You can tint the screen and alter the music, but not even pictures run until there's a break in the dialogue boxes.

There's probably several ways to go about it. The check inbetween each message would do the trick. That was my first thought when I read the op. And also probably whatever Calunio's idea is would work.

Unfortunately for you, this is a feature that you probably would have wanted to implement from the start, as retroactively doing it must be a pain in the ass.
iddalai
@calunio The way I'm thinking about solving this will force me to change all NPC events anyway, so please tell me about your solution (since you even tested it) as it may be easier to implement.

EDIT: BTW, my solution involves creating a Conditional Branch with "end event processing" set to ON to a "switch X", so when the timer ends it activates "switch X". This way the timer event proceeds even if the player is talking with a NPC since the conversation will end immediately.
The messages don't have to be in the "Else" branch.
Just copy/paste the condition between every message. Just saying in case you didn't know.
iddalai
"creating a Conditional Branch with "end event processing" set to ON to a "switch X", so when the timer ends it activates "switch X". This way the timer event proceeds even if the player is talking with a NPC since the conversation will end immediately."

It works this way, and yup I'm not using an "else" branch.

I'm waiting for calunio's alternative solution since it might be easier to implement.
My solution is:

Have each NPC have two pages. The first one is a regular action key page, and the second one is a parallel event.

One the first page, add a single command: change variable "NPC" to some number, like 12. Each NPC should have a different number.

Make the second page be activated by that variable number, and remember it's a parallel event. Add dialog normally, and at the end of the event, set variable back to zero.

It's the same idea I had before, but using two pages will prevent the parallel event from running all the time.

---
Btw, I'd just like to say I had the exact same problem with my game once, I had a time bomb that would cause a game over. But I chose to let the dialog finish, and then explode the bomb.
iddalai
Thanks for the help people! I'm still considering which solution to use, if I use any of the suggested solutions I'll add you to the credits.

Thanks again!
Pages: first 12 next last