AN OFFICIAL *ENGLISH* VERSION OF 2K3 APPROACHES!

Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
I will only sign it, if they at-least look around at the top used patches via Google, and add in stuff that's being used from those patches, and adding in stuff based on what people wanted. If not, I'm sticking to my copy I already have, cause if not, then it's just them trying to make us FORGOT about the shit before.
Me and my wife just signed it, but how do we know we will get this for sure. How do we know we arent just wasting our time?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well it probably took you more time to ask that question than to sign it, for one thing
author=LockeZ
Well it probably took you more time to ask that question than to sign it, for one thing

actually yeah, it did.
author=LockeZ
Why would non english speaking people sign a petition to get something translated to english

Like seriously what the hell

English is the de facto lingua franca of the world. There are lots of people who prefer English to their local language when it comes to software. It's actually pretty hard to tell someone how to run a program in compatibility mode when their OS is in Finnish rather than English.
author=Jparker1984
Me and my wife just signed it, but how do we know we will get this for sure. How do we know we arent just wasting our time?

You don't. The petition isn't to guarantee anything, but to show them there are enough interested people and that they can still make money off it. Once they get the 1K signatures, they said they'd consider it, meaning they could still decide against it if they wish. However, even though the petition doesn't guarantee anything, the likelihood of this happening without the petition would have been zero. At least this way there is a chance.
Would be nice if they did this. I still use 2k3. (Only because my game is ancient)
As much as I nostalgicly love 2k3, I would only consider doing this depending on how much it would cost. I think anything over $20 for outdated software would be ridiculous. -_-
I'm going to post the same thing I did over at RMWeb:

This is why I don't think this petition will ever go anywhere, and why (after 3 months of progress) it has yet to collect even half the signatures.

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/3208-replacing-default-tilesets/

Here we have a newbie asking for help on an official site for an illegal (RM2K3) maker, and then double posting to say he solved his problem by re-installing the illegal RM2K3 software. And a mod was kind enough to close the topic "due to being solved", but yet not a single comment or reprimand against this guy (that I know of) for his admission to using illegal software.

Now, I know people have stated that not everybody knows RM2K/3 programs are illegal outside of purchasing a Japanese version (personally, I find that a bit too convenient myself), but at least have some common sense. I mean, aside from the fact that RMWeb does not currently support RM2K/3, you'd think he'd have a bit more class than coming to an official site and admitting to using something illegal.

If that's not a slap in Degica's face, I don't know what is. If anything, this sends the wrong message to Degica that people will continue to use the illegal version of the program and there's nothing anybody can or will do to prevent it.
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.

I just couldn't help myself other than to grab my trusty Bamboo tablet and draw this in MyPaint.

And it is supposed to look sketchy as until they confirm that they translate or don't, all we know is, well, sketchy.
author=Rave2010
I just couldn't help myself other than to grab my trusty Bamboo tablet and draw this in MyPaint.

And it is supposed to look sketchy as until they confirm that they translate or don't, all we know is, well, sketchy.

What is this I don't even.
Where can I get the legal RM 2003 now?
You can't. I don't believe it's sold in Japan anymore, not a new copy anyways. You can still order a legal version of RM2K (called RM2K Value), but it's only available in Japan. Neither 2K nor 2K3 were ever given a legal translation, so you can't get either copies legally in English.

The petition was to try and get a legal translation done in English, but it required 1000 signatures for EB to even consider it. It started off strong for the first month or so (back in April), but once it hit about the halfway mark, it dropped to about 3 to 5 sigs a week. At the rate it's going, you might want to check back here in about a year, assuming there's still hype for it.
So this was fail? :-/ Not even 1000 signatures? The RM scene really became that tiny?
author=Deacon Batista
So this was fail? :-/ Not even 1000 signatures? The RM scene really became that tiny?

I don't think that its so tiny. I think that most people don't care about this that much. And now we also have XP, VX and VX ace... Many people use those engines now, instead of 2k or 2k3.
^
I think there were also potential issues with applying illegal patches to legal software? Maybe or maybe not. It was discussed in the first few pages of this topic, and may have served to deter people from signing it.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Saddening, really.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
If this ever happened, would that mean technically Hero's Realm could become a commercial game? Obviously would have to change some stuff.
author=Tau
If this ever happened, would that mean technically Hero's Realm could become a commercial game? Obviously would have to change some stuff.

Assuming all resources were kent's own or RTP, and the legality clause for selling rpgmaker games remains the same as Enterbrain's newer software, then yes, of course.

That said, the chance of this happening is approximately nil, as the financial incentive for a giant like Enterbrain is so small as to be non-existent. Few people want or care about this and fewer people still would actually follow through on actually purchasing ancient software that's a decade or so old.
Well, having actually played Hero's Realm the answer would be a no, since most of the enemies are rips, as are the character battle sprites (though edited). Still, it's fun to dream about~