[PLUG-IN] [RM2K3] ANIMATED MONSTERS PLUGIN

Animation2 has size restrictions, so all of the monsters would have to be a certain size, therefor, it would actually be easier to create a new spritesheet for monsters. It would be a little weird, because a 16x16 monster would require a 48x16*(Number of Poses) spritesheet, and a 64x32 monster would require a 192x32*(Num of Poses) spritesheet, but it wouldn't require additional subfolders. The spritesheet could then have a filename of (monster_filename)+"_poses"

Pincer attacks can be detected now in the 0.30 source (RPG::battleData->encounterCondition), as well as any monster information in the database (RPG::DBMonster), so a lot of improvements can be made.

I can take a stab at it if someone wants to send me the latest source. Wasn't there one with running & attack animations at some point?
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
Oh cool 0.30 update.
I don't know if the running/attacking animation version was ever released.
I'll see if I can dig up the source code.
author=dragonheartman
Oh cool 0.30 update.

Yeah, it's just an update to the .h files. It still uses the same libDynRPG.a and dynloader.dll as 0.20. No new callbacks, but a shitload of class definitions since they were easy to add. It's located here:

https://github.com/PepsiOtaku/DynRPG

I'll see if I can dig up the source code.

Thank you!
dragonheartman
Source here. It needs a bit of work but I am sure you're more than capable of making it beautiful.

Edit: Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.
author=PepsiOtaku
Animation2 has size restrictions, so all of the monsters would have to be a certain size, therefor, it would actually be easier to create a new spritesheet for monsters. It would be a little weird, because a 16x16 monster would require a 48x16*(Number of Poses) spritesheet, and a 64x32 monster would require a 192x32*(Num of Poses) spritesheet, but it wouldn't require additional subfolders. The spritesheet could then have a filename of (monster_filename)+"_poses"

Pincer attacks can be detected now in the 0.30 source (RPG::battleData->encounterCondition), as well as any monster information in the database (RPG::DBMonster), so a lot of improvements can be made.

I can take a stab at it if someone wants to send me the latest source. Wasn't there one with running & attack animations at some point?

Is there a way to reach the Animation Type page? Because those things don't have the same size restrictions.

Yea, I'd like to veer away from the straight up linking inside those boxes (I don't want a repeat of the weirdness of big charsets, where misunderstanding the measurements give random scrunched pixels), and try to get to something vaguely similar to how monsters would be realistically animated.

Glad to see renewed interest in this.
author=dragonheartman
Source here.It needs a bit of work but I am sure you're more than capable of making it beautiful.

Edit: Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions.

Thanks! Will do!

author=bulmabriefs144
Is there a way to reach the Animation Type page? Because those things don't have the same size restrictions.

"Yeah, but who's gonna code it, kid? You?"

Of course there's a way to reach the Animation Type page, however, it's not really practical because you can just as easily use the sprite sheet idea with as many columns as you need for frames of animation. So if that 16x16 monster wanted 10 frames of animation for idle/attack, it could be 160x16*(number of poses). It just wouldn't be worth it to use the Animation 2 page in any form.

Also, if you have a big attack for one of your bosses or enemies, the technique that people have used over the years is to hide the monster sprite, and create an animation that lines up directly with the monster in the first frame, and then animates however you'd like. See here: https://youtu.be/6hKMdfwqFo4?t=99

That video was made in 2008, years before DynRPG. I could easily add in extra code that accounts for that technique.

Edit: To actually hide the monster, I think what that guy did was "transform" the monster into a monster with a blank graphic, play the animation, and transform it back.
Blue.

author=Pepsi
"Yeah, but who's gonna code it, kid? You?"
Pffft. Hey you, don't call me kid. I'm a grown adult woman with centuries of black oppression. Well, not really.

Of course there's a way to reach the Animation Type page, however, it's not really practical because you can just as easily use the sprite sheet idea with as many columns as you need for frames of animation. So if that 16x16 monster wanted 10 frames of animation for idle/attack, it could be 160x16*(number of poses). It just wouldn't be worth it to use the Animation 2 page in any form.

The whole 160 x 16 sheet sounds like it would be either very restrictive or difficult to have the graphic stuffs needed for larger monsters without... weirdness going on. I suppose seeing it visually would make me feel better.

Also, if you have a big attack for one of your bosses or enemies, the technique that people have used over the years is to hide the monster sprite, and create an animation that lines up directly with the monster in the first frame, and then animates however you'd like. See here: https://youtu.be/6hKMdfwqFo4?t=99

I've done this too (Lilith and Elias on their character battles have spellcasting and attack animations, in Lilith's case it's pretty elaborate). Holy crap, whoever made that video is way better at animation than me, mine has a gap where the character is missing. Maybe instead of Animation2, concentrating on Animation 1 would be better? Especially if it can be spliced together, where it looks like the monster never disappeared. For really big monsters, there might be hands and stuff with separate animations (assuming those are targets while the main is invincible or has way more hp)

Something like putting the desired monsters into the ini as

Monster15 = 131, 128, 221, 118, etc

with each of those being animations that play during that situation. Like for Dead, they just replace the character with that animation (still) until removal. Assuming you could somehow streamline the replacement process, the big issue would actually be having an absurd amount of animation files, rather than the issues inherent with this current one. That and I'm not certain the remove and replace process auto-flips.
author=PepsiOtaku

Oh wow I gotta figure out how to update my dyn then. I'm just afraid of having to track down each and every patch that had to be applied directly to my rpg_rt exe file.

So with pincer attacks able to be detected, would that mean good news for the animated monsters plugin ?

You'd be my hero/god if you took this on. I thank you for even just thinking about updating/messing with it.
Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere. But do not correctly work function "transformation of a monster". Replaced all the animation, besides the standard posture. What am I doing wrong?
dragonheartman
author=Herbert_West
Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere. But do not correctly work function "transformation of a monster". Replaced all the animation, besides the standard posture. What am I doing wrong?

I never implemented that functionality.
Sorry if asked already, but does this work with the official RPG Maker 2003 or only with the RPG Tsukuru 2003?
dragonheartman
Currently I believe these only work with the unofficial version. In the future, who knows?
Hy dear @dragonheartman.
I have a question.
I would like to use this plugin.
But I don't need the attack animation.
Is there a way to remove it from this plugin?
I created a unique animation for the monster attack.
This way the monster disappears for me before the attack starts.
So I would only need the 1-2-3-2 movement.
Thank you in advance for your answer.