MALWARE THROUGH GAMES?

Pages: 1
purplex
WHERE'S MY SUBMISSION?
I just tried going to a game profile that I am subscribed to, and my antivirus program says it is a site known for malware distribution. I use AVG. What's the deal?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
Would be helpful if you mentioned which game profile you were looking at so the RMN staff can look into it; can't start looking for an answer without a place to start, after all.
purplex
WHERE'S MY SUBMISSION?
I forgot the name of it, but it's a rpg maker xp game using 3d models and the main character is a chick.
Maybe you can look through your subscriptions to find the offending game?
Once upon a time someone said they got a false positive for a RPG Maker game.

Back with Windows 95 I ended up accidentally giving all my friends a boot virus from an awesome game called enoid.
AVG had Sim RPGMaker 95's EXE file come up as a virus after a patch a year or two ago. I was the asshole who emailed them, reported it, and got it delisted.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Last time I tried using AVG, it actually marked all RPG Maker 2000 games as malware. Or maybe it was only the ones that had been patched? Either way it was stupid as hell. Anyway, that was eight or nine months ago, and wasn't RMXP. But my point is that AVG is worth about what you pay for it.

I feel pretty comfortable with the generalization that no RPG Maker game on this site is going to have malware embedded in it. However, without knowing which game, it's impossible to say for sure.
It's Win32.Weird all over again! Head for the hills!

(also get rid of AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials. It's best free antivirus around)
purplex
WHERE'S MY SUBMISSION?
Hmm. Never had a problem with AVG reading RPG Maker 2000/2003 games as a virus or anything like that. Probably a false positive then.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I've been using Avast on my old XP machine, but I'm considering replacing it with Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) since Avast is getting bloated with completely unrelated features and has even turned to popup advertisements every now-and-then as of late.

For my primary Windows 7 computer and my laptop I use MSE.
It's kind of ridiculous how much Avast dislikes RPG Maker programs. It's even marked the game I'm currently making as highly suspicious.
MSE is a good anti-virus? Fo' realz?
I've never found a MS software I didn't replace (except the OS and... MS Paint!). They make kick butt hardware though...
Kaspersky seems to be good with rpg maker games. It suspects them at first, then allows them through.
the problem is game.exe can sometime mistaken as a virus/malware since there also a virus called game.exe... so some anti-virus mistaken this as a virus so it pretty safe...
Pages: 1