COMMERCIAL GAMES ARE NOT ALLOWED ON RMN

If something is truly quality then it deserves compensation, why should that simple idea be stigmatized?
author=King of Games
If something is truly quality then it deserves compensation, why should that simple idea be stigmatized?
I don't know! You would have to ask those who do it.
I've always giggled when I've seen commercial games in the forums here or people looking to kickstarter a project.
If you do have a commercial game, posting it on Desura* would be a great place for indie developers looking to make profit.

* won't provide link here; google it.
author=Creation
...Anyways, do you really want to see legion of blogs advertising for their next donation compaign? Like... really? Blogs are meant to talk about the game. If they want to do advertisement to get cash, they can do it somewhere else.

Well, I wouldn't really mind that as long as it was an interesting read. However just dropping a link and a "Hi guyse gimme you're moneys" wouldn't sit all that right with me... That's where the whole "quality control" business I was talking about before should also come into play. I've always advocated the idea to more strictly police all user submitted content on this site including images, and of course blogposts. You can blame the staff only so much for the lack of quality control, though. The other half of the problem are those people unscrupulous enough to hip their games to death with no regard for the community as a whole.
author=alterego
Well, I wouldn't really mind that as long as it was an interesting read. However just dropping a link and a "Hi guyse gimme you're moneys" wouldn't sit all that right with me...

They would just copy and paste what they have on other sites (much like we do when we drop our game off at other forums). As their effort goes, it's essentially the same thing as "Hi guyse gimme you're moneys". RMN would become a place to dump your commercial project in the hope of a few more sales, causing unnecessary site clutter.

I'm really not getting why people can't just go to other sites for other games :\
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
You can blame the staff only so much for the lack of quality control, though

Honestly, Ae, I think you're a cool guy. You always give good criticism to just about everyone.

I don't want to go on a tangent here but why not provide the staff what exactly you are blaming them for? I mean, you do it for art and that way I (we?) can change what's wrong but if you don't say it, then it's hard to make the necessary adjustment. I mean, it's none of my business, I'm just saying.

The other half of the problem are those people unscrupulous enough to hip their games to death with no regard for the community as a whole.

I find that this happens quite a bit. I'd say, however, that most of the time people are not aware of how the front page works (I know I wasn't) so they don't mean anything by it.

Anyways, Kentona has made his decision and I don't think he'll change his mind any time soon. I actually agree with him on this one.
@Dyhalto: Like I said, is a matter of accessibility. Or put in other words, I'm lazy and I don't want to register in other sites. =P Also, what you mention doesn't quite strike me as wrong either. (Again, as longs as a certain standard is meet.) I could think of a handful of awesome games whose authors just virtually dumped here. People that don't really involve themselves much with the community, but whose works I'm happy to have around, as opposed to many others...

@Creation: I think others have done it and perhaps more eloquently that I could ever do. My comments are just a happy reminder of that. ^^ Seriously though, what I want it's not hard to understand. I guess the problem is that 'quality' is a subjective a matter as it could get, and no compromise wants to be made about it. Also, I'm not interested on changing anyone's opinion on commercial games. This is just a subject that interests me and it's nice to discuss openly.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Hey @kentona bro real quick two questions:

1) If I submit a game here, do you have beef with me also submitting a web version to Kongregate for cold, hard advertising cash? It's a 7-day FPS project that I'm expanding on.

2) How hard did you hack to get that beautifully symmetric Makerscore?
If you're giving the version hosted at RMN away for free, I have no problem with you posting an expanded commercial version elsewhere. Also, the version here isn't a "shareware" version.

And my makerscore is not a hack! just a coincidence brought about by a 1.5 star review for SRB3.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Is adf.ly allowed?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Also, could you just allow them to use RMN's services and have them pay a small fee or something for every month they use it, or for every purchase?
author=Nightowl
Is adf.ly allowed?
what is that?
Adon237
Links shortened by adf.ly, when clicked, the clicker views an advertisement for about 10 seconds, and the person who made the link gets some money off of it. Per each click.
That sounds obnoxious, but we allow outside links to sites like Mediafire and whatnot, so currently adf.ly is not banned.

But if you think about it, a typical conversion rate for people clicking an ad to people viewing a page is like 0.03%. So unless your game is getting tens of thousands of downloads, I don't see the economical upside to it vs the obnoxious hoops you are putting potential players through.
Adon237
It's really obnoxious.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Yyyep. Unless I had thousands of downloaders (impossibru), I wouldn't really use adf.ly.
I'm glad that at least you allow accepting donation. I understand that hosting commercial game is another story and would bring a big change to the site.

However, I don't want the site to ban games that use crowd funding, based on the crowd funding part alone. While I understand that the impression of a game with crowd funding seems to be like a pre-order of a game that doesn't exist yet, there are games that will be released for free, but need some support to get start as well.

It would be nice if the commercial aspect of the game is decided based on how can one can play the game legally. If the game is going to be free, it should be allowed on the site regardless of how it gets money to fund the project.
Oh Vacant Sky wasn't removed because it was crowd funding but it was actually going to be a commercial game :)
Oh, that wasn't really direct to Vacant Sky, but more of this line
author=kentona
author=TFT
if teo wanted to crowd fund sunset over imdahl for iphone, i hope you stop that sh-t asap!
if he tried to make a gameprofile for it, yeah, I would.

he can post in the Videogame forum, or on the IRC channel, though.

I hope a game won't be banned based on how it is funded and which platform it will be available. As long as the end product is available for free, it should be allowed on RMN.