BAD GAMES YOU LOVE ANY WAYS.

Pages: first 123 next last
Hi all!

It's a common trend among a lot of gamers to basically ignore games that don't receive sterling review scores. That being the case, I'm sure most gamers, especially those who grew up before the internet, have played and loved games with less than perfect pedigrees. I was wondering if anyone had any that stood out in their minds and why they love them despite their flaws.

A few of mine:

Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo (PS2)

Around the time that Toonami started playing Gundam Wing I developed an obsession with all things Mobile Suit Gundam. Journey to Jaburo was the first Gundam game I picked up and back then when I first played it, the game was utter catharsis. I found a copy again recently (for a whopping $3.50) and was amazed to see how clunky and stiff the game really was. Even so, I had a lot of nostalgic fun and could probably still pop the sucker in today and have fun.

Starcraft 64 (N64)

Holy Odin did I love this game. Prior to Starcraft 64 my only RTS game was Command and Conquer (again, the N64 port) and I played the single player campaign to death. This game, I think, is a really interesting example of enjoying something inside of a vacuum. PC gamers laughed at the idea of the game on the N64 and not without reason. The N64 controller worked but was in no way comparable to the mouse and keyboard standard. That said, the only magazine I read back then was Nintendo Power and only owned an N64 at the time, so I ate the game up. So many hours put into this one.

Black Sigil: Blade of the Exile (DS)

A lot of people downright hated this game. Jeremy Parish over at 1up gave it a D, panning it as nothing more than a failed Chrono Trigger clone. I was a little more generous. I had the opportunity to review it for GamesRadar and gave it a 7/10. It has some definite flaws; the encounter rate is too high and the combat speed is too slow (an unfortunate combination). That said, combat itself is actually interesting, the game's pixel art and music perfectly replicate SNES RPGs and the story is pretty well written with some really likeable characters.
I agree, Black Sigil has a lot of potential, but needs a big overhaul. I'm also partial to Final Fantasy X and X-2 combined. It may not be like the old games and may have started the trend of a more movie-driven rpg, but I still enjoyed both games a lot. There was also Grandstream Saga on the old PSX. The battle system was awkward and it didn't do so well by the critics, but I still had a lot of fun with it.
author=amerkevicius
I'm also partial to Final Fantasy X and X-2 combined. It may not be like the old games and may have started the trend of a more movie-driven rpg, but I still enjoyed both games a lot.

Same here. I honestly thought both of the games were fairly good. Though the storyline of X-2 left a lot to be desired in contrast to X, there were plenty of good elements too.
A game that comes to my mind is Goal! for NES. Though I can't honestly say I love the game I remember it being one of few games to get a 1 or 2 out of 10 review in the game magazine I read at the time. But I had an incredible time playing that game. Especially co-operatively with a friend.

Even back then I understood the game was pretty bad. But over those few days (I'm pretty sure we had rented it or something similar) it was an incredible footballing experience. Mostly because unlike Nintendo World Cup or Tecmo Cup Soccer it... you know, actually resembled football.

It's probably obvious but the fact is that playing a game with a friend nearly always means fun no matter how bad the actual game is.
author=Shinan
It's probably obvious but the fact is that playing a game with a friend nearly always means fun no matter how bad the actual game is.

Case and point: Space Ace.

That game could have been used as a torture device in Iraq.

But when you're playing it with a bunch of highly intoxicated friends, you can't bear to go wrong!
M4uesviecr's current picture is from the game I knew was 'bad' but loved anyway. It was fun.
Rondo of Swords. Really terrible (the gameplay was great but...lacking in certain areas too) but I like it anyways <:3c
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Everyone seems to down-rate Fire Fight for the PC. I loved that game as a kid, and I wish I could play it again now.

Gotta love those isometric shoot-em-ups. Loved the music in this game too.
Geist, a FPS for the Gamecube. As a game on a console with very little competition, Geist wasn't that bad... but if it had been on the PC? Well, it would have been torn to shreds and condemned by just about everyone.

Geist was only really interesting because you played as a spirit and could possess people, animals, and inanimate objects. It was pretty gimmicky but it was also tied heavily to the story and was mandatory to proceed through lots of parts.

Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Super Mario Bros 2
Everyone hates it just for having different gameplay compared to other traditional Super Mario Bros games.
Advent Rising.
Great game but cripplingly under developed. It's basically Halo in third person view and starts off like Halo and Mass Effect.
I love the game but I wish it cold be better. It's hard for me to find another copy now a days.
Deep Labyrinth for DS. It was an absolutely horrible port of a cellphone dungeon crawler, riddled with framerate problems and horrid polish, but for some reason it had this weird charm that kept it somewhat fun.
#rgangsta. I LOVED Advent Rising. There was so much potential there but it just never lived up to it and fizzled out before the franchise could find its footing.
Oh, and if you need a copy Good Old Games has it DRM free for 5.99

Actually did a video review of it too on my blog a ways back:

@itombre. I almost picked up Deep Labrynth back when I first picked up my DS. Have you ever played Orcs and Elves? It's another port of a cell phone dungeon crawler, but it's a fun little game.
author=Nightowl
Super Mario Bros 2Everyone hates it just for having different gameplay compared to other traditional Super Mario Bros games.

Nobody hates Mario 2.
I hate the second episode of the Super Mario cartoon show, so I guess in a manner of speaking I hate.... this joke was dead on a arrival.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
author=Jude
author=Nightowl
Super Mario Bros 2Everyone hates it just for having different gameplay compared to other traditional Super Mario Bros games.
Nobody hates Mario 2.

Last time I checked, everybody said "BAWW IT DUZN'T HAV POWER UPS AND IS TOO WEIRD TO BE A MARIO GAEM"
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Super Mario Bros. 2 is one of my favorite NES games.
People hate Super Mario Bros 2? I love that game!
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
The Way of the Samurai series (specifically 1 and 3) is probably the best example of legitimately bad games (omfg don't get me started) that I love anyway (collecting swords (fighting styles) is so addictive that I will put up with what is essentially an All Star Team of bad game design ideas to do it, even if the games frequently cause me controller biting frustration).

I have played through them hundreds of times while fully aware they are terrible.
author=Max McGee
The Way of the Samuraiseries (specifically 1 and 3) is probably the best example of legitimately bad games (omfg don't get me started) that I love anyway (collecting swords (fighting styles) is so addictive that I will put up with what is essentially an All Star Team of bad game design ideas to do it, even if the games frequently cause me controller biting frustration).

I have played through them hundreds of times while fully aware they are terrible.

Totally agree, I just booted up the first one on a PS2 emulator last month and I've played through it 3 different ways already.

I would also add MASS EFFECT 2 to the list. Really horrid game that is only enjoyable because of the first game being so awesome.
Pages: first 123 next last