EXP IN TEXT

Pages: 1
is there a small little code to put in the text box that will say how much Experience Points a character needs to reach the next level?
Don't know which engine your talking about, but in rm2k/rm2k3 you can display variable values. You would have to set the variable to equal the character's experience though.
Yes.
In an event set a Variable to equal your character's Experience, then write the appropriate code in a message.
Click here for a list of message codes under 2k and 2k3.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Putting the character's total experience value into a variable, and displaying that variable in a message box, will not provide how much experience that character needs to level up. The latter of which, I believe, is what hawkeye is looking for.
He can store the character's level in a variable then use an algorithm to determine the experience needed and store that in a variable.
Oops! I read the question too fast. My bad.

EDIT: What would be the algorithm?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Depends on what he set the EXP curves to in the database. The EXP needed to reach the next level in RM2K3 is Primary + (Secondary * current level) + Tertiary. Primary, Secondary and Tertiary are the three sliders in the database when you are setting the EXP curves.

Yes, the primary and tertiary sliders do exactly the same thing. Yes, really.
I'm sorry. I forgetting to specify my engine...

This is for VX.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
In that case I have no idea what the level up formula is! But everything that everyone but me said is correct.
okay, but VX doesn't have primary and tertiary EXP curves (as far as I know). so it doesn't really help me.
LockeZ
Well, just figure out what the experience formula is in VX. Not exactly hard. There are three ways to do this:
1) Open up VX, go into the database, find the place where you set the EXP curves, adjust them a bit, and figure out the formula.
2) Open up VX, go into the scripts, find the place where it levels the player up if they have enough experience points, and note the formula.
3) Search for "RMVX experience formula" on google.

And then do what McBick said: calculate how much EXP you need to level up, store that in a variable, and use \V[130] in a message box to show the variable (replace 130 with whichever variable you're actually using).
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
Ok, I did a quick look in RMVXACE scripts, and found two methods in the Game_Actor class:

#--------------------------------------------------------------------------

# * Get Experience
def exp
@exp[@class_id]
end
# * Get Minimum EXP for Current Level
def current_level_exp
exp_for_level(@level)
end

Perhaps finding a way to call them from an event via the "Script" command?
Or something like that?
LockeZ
Well, this is VX, not Ace, so the functions aren't necessarily named the same thing. But yeah, using a short script call to put the exp needed into a variable is another option. And would mean you don't need to do any calculations.
rabitZ
amusing tassadar, your taste in companionship grows ever more inexplicable
Yeah, Lockez, I would like to think that there are ~similar~ functions in VX.
I just don't have VX anymore since my trial expired long ago and I can't check for myself.
Pages: 1