GAMES WE NEED TO GET OVER

Pages: first 12345 next last
I know there are games that we consider "classics", but sometimes all they do is keep us back from appreciating games that come after it, because the older games are hailed as perfect entities that can never be improved upon.

For me, these are the two biggest culprits:

Final Fantasy VII: I like this game. No, I love this game. But I get sick of it when a FF topic comes up, and all anyone talks about are Cloud and Sephiroth. The idea that every FF game has to basically be the new FF7 is the reason why big swords feel cheap to me now.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time: Again, I love OOT. It was a great game. But what it did to the series fanbase is near unforgivable. To those other fans of the series- remember what happened when everyone found out what The Wind Waker was gonna look like? What a mess. And the worst part is, when that game proved to be excellent in its own right, people still kicked up a fuss when a related style was used for Skyward Sword (which, by the way, looked closer to Twilight Princess, just more "arty"). The zelda games of the last 6 or so years, as excellent as they have been, tend to get sidelined because the crybabies want more OOT.

Okay, now I've vented, keep in mind that these are my opinions, and you are entitled to disagree.

I would like to know, though, what games you think we need to "get over". Suggestions?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Chrono Trigger. It was decent for its time, but it didn't do anything that a thousand games haven't improved upon since. The characters were flat and one dimensional, the combat was stock ATB, the pacing was sluggish, and the majority of the game was excruciatingly linear. It was a solid game, but we've come a long way since then.
Pokemon. C'mon, never made it into an MMO? C'mon guys, if the game isn't going to jump to console or be expanded upon in a truly progressive way then they should probably throw in the towel.
Persona 4. It keeps coming up in topics about "Ooh, how can I put personality into my game", or "players can make their own choices in this entirely open-ended RPG with 99 features on it" or "I want to make a dating sim that's also a dungeon crawler that's also got lots of side-quests like Skyrim and action-based combat but also, like, 1000 items and customizable classes, but also there is a main storyline that's got like 50 epic hours of playtime", and it annoys me a little bit.
author=a_cat
Pokemon. C'mon, never made it into an MMO? C'mon guys, if the game isn't going to jump to console or be expanded upon in a truly progressive way then they should probably throw in the towel.

I agree wholeheartedly. However, you can throw that thought into the trash can and burn it because Nintendo's stated that they're never going to make an MMO. The morons.

Star Fox. The newer games were actually kind of nice, but all of the fans are too blinded by their outrageous desire for the company to make another game exactly like the first to see how foolish and outlandish their wants really are. Noobs are noobs, but if it is your wont to crap about a good game because it hasn't lived up to your preposterous expectations, keep your yap shut!
Tau
RMN sex symbol
author=TheRexion
I agree wholeheartedly. However, you can throw that thought into the trash can and burn it because Nintendo's stated that they're never going to make an MMO. The morons.

There's a reason for that. Yes, the Pokemon formula would be perfectly fitting for an MMO. But now this is what I think Nintendo are getting at. Why make one successful game when we can make multiple ones making more money without adopting a pay to play model. Seriously these games sell shit loads and probably don't cost much to make.

They're earning much more in the long run and especially since they essentially getaway with selling the same game twice every time. It's win win for Nintendo.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
At the risk of being unpopular, I'm gonna go with Hero's Realm. Though, every suggestion in this topic is unpopular, pretty much by definition. So yeah, might as well put it out there.

Sorry, kents, I like you, and your game isn't bad, but I don't think it deserves to be the official poster child for "successful rpg maker game". It's relatively cleanly made and doesn't have as many problems as most games, but it just doesn't do anything special or noteworthy.

- FF7 is kind of like XKCD, or religion. It would be fine on its own, but its fans ruin it.
- Ocarina of Time invented the fucking genre of 3D adventure games, so I'll give it a pass on what are by today's standards really shitty areas and flawed puzzles. Also, as an aside, I think Skyward's Sword's graphics look more like OoT's graphics than anything else, because unless you're standing completely still, the impressionist color blotches are indistinguishable from N64 level pixellation.
- I want to kill Sai a little. Chrono Trigger is to video games what the original Star Wars trilogy is to movies. Not gonna budge on this one.
- Pokemon is the only game series to ever start out by making unoriginal near-copies of the same game and marketing it as something new. Most series at least wait until the second game, so they have something to copy. Pokemon released the first two at the same time, setting the ultimate precedent for lack of innovation.
- I haven't played Persona 4, but I know enough about it to know that citing any of the Persona or Shin Megami Tensei games as great examples of anything other than extremely difficult well-balanced combat is dumb, because that's all they're good at.
- I kind of agree about Star Fox 64; Star Fox Assault was practically the same game, with better controls and better stages, minus the submarine levels (which were really bad), but plus the on-foot levels (which were also really bad). Also, Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader were both practically the same game as Star Fox 64, but with a tolerable Star Wars plot instead of an idiotic plot about space monkeys all voiced by the same guy making different funny voices.
author=a_cat

I've heard of them trying to do a chip-reading system like Skylanders for the next poke-game on WiiU, but that might be as progressive as they get.
I don't think the people who fawn over FF7 even remember the game beyond their own imaginary recreations of the game which only got official support from KH/that FF7 EU garbage. It's like SE threw out the original game and asked the Internet how it should be.
I remember I hung my head the day that little man said he wasn't going to MMO the Pokemon franchise. I know they're making boocoo munnies selling the same game twice with a few mods here and there to the kids. I was just hoping they wanted to leave a quality legacy behind, or at least one that tried to progress.

I hate the route Sonic went down, but they definitely tried some new things in re-imagining the Sonic video game franchise.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
author=Sailerius
Chrono Trigger. It was decent for its time, but it didn't do anything that a thousand games haven't improved upon since. The characters were flat and one dimensional, the combat was stock ATB, the pacing was sluggish, and the majority of the game was excruciatingly linear. It was a solid game, but we've come a long way since then.

Everyone in the internet always hyped about Chrono Trigger and said it's "teh best gam ar peeh gee evahh!!!111"

Well, I tried it and played until I beat the first boss.
It was quite a boring experience.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Probably just not your kinda game Nightowl. FFVII Crisis Core as well, the game was repetitive as hell, bland environments and completely re-writes the back story of the original. Hell it fucks over the whole Nibelheim scenes. That's why a remake is a bad idea, they would either have to incorporate all the new stuff from Advent Children(reference it, origin story maybe?) bring Genesis into the originals story & even all those new Turks.

Call of Duty, you love it/hate it.. we get it.

Fuck it, I'll just make a list.. Skyrim, Sonic, Grand Theft Auto IV, Ocarina of Time, Pikmin series, Goldeneye, Mass Effect series, Metal Gear Solid 2&4, Blizzard games, Smash Bros, Bioshock, Shenfuckenmue I hated these games.

Edit - I meant I hated Shenmue, not the rest.. Well a couple Sonic games as well.
Fallout probably.

It's such a great game. And it's so old. That in reality it's sad that nothing's surpassed it. Or has something surpassed it? Maybe. But for some reason I keep thinking "It's not as good as Fallout".

And of course I also can't get over it when hearing about new games "Man... Will it be as awesome as Fallout?"

So yeah I guess I need to get over it. And I kinda have. I'm enjoying New Vegas. I enjoyed The Witcher. Occasionally I even tolerated Mass Effect. And who knows, maybe one day I'll find "that" game.

I would like to say Half-Life 2 as well. Because there are great new linear shooters out there but they always fall within the shadow that is Half-Life 2. It's good to compare how badly everyone does compared to HL2 but... I guess it really isn't always that good. HL2 keeps me away from loads of modern linear shooters though. I'm reluctant to even try out games like Homefront and Modern Warfare just because of the whole "let's open that door for you" that HL2 so eloquently sidestepped. I should get over it. I suppose. There's stuff to enjoy in those games after all.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Play Halo Reach, or just the Halo series, much better then these modern war shooters.. Call of Duty 4 though was great, if you have to choose one. Halo is the only FPS series I think comes close to Half-Life.
author=Lockez
Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader were both practically the same game as Star Fox 64, but with a tolerable Star Wars plot instead of an idiotic plot about space monkeys all voiced by the same guy making different funny voices.

Save for the short-lived "all range mode" sections which were for some bosses and a handful of levels, Starfox 64 is and on-rails space/flying shooter whereas, unless you count the death star trench run, all of the rogue squadron series was totally free-roaming flight, It's an entirely different gameplay experience (It's like conflating Time Crisis and Goldeneye). Also Starfox 64 and the Rogue series (especially 2 but definitely not 3) are some of my favorite games of all time :<

Also there is only one submarine level in the whole of SF64.

I haven't played Assault but I'd like to if it's not shitty.

Also interestingly enough, Starfox 64 is called "Lylat Wars" in this country.
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
And Starfox was called Starwing.
I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the reason Nintendo will never make an MMO is because they are a family company and as soon as something goes online they would lose control over that. So you'd get loads of players running around with pokemon named "fuckwit" or whatever. Which is against Nintendo's image.

Although now I think about it, I also read that in Diablo 3 you can't name your characters with swear words either. Can someone confirm that? I'm sure Nintendo could find some way to block it too.
author=papasan96
I can't remember where, but I read somewhere that the reason Nintendo will never make an MMO is because they are a family company and as soon as something goes online they would lose control over that. So you'd get loads of players running around with pokemon named "fuckwit" or whatever. Which is against Nintendo's image.

Although now I think about it, I also read that in Diablo 3 you can't name your characters with swear words either. Can someone confirm that? I'm sure Nintendo could find some way to block it too.

Nevermind the fact that with the new games that have online interaction, they add a warning about not being liable for the rating of online content, so that's not really much of a reason at all.
Christ I forgot completely about Skyrim. That game was antiquated before it even came out and the best praise I can ever muster for the game is that it is a less shitty Oblivion that took half a decade to make.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Oh man. Everyone is always like 5000 HOURS LOGGED IN SKYRIIIIIMMMMM I CANNOT STOP PLAYING THIS GAME FOREVER and I always thought it was just me alone in the world, the only one who didn't think like it that much.

Part of it is just that I don't like open world stuff, though. I think the Grand Theft Auto games are boring too.
Pages: first 12345 next last