GIMME BOSS GIMMICKS

Pages: first 12 next last
This is similar to this topic: http://www.rpgmaker.net/forums/index.php?topic=1141.0

Basically I was thinking to myself. What makes a good boss battle? What boss battles stand out in my mind as memorable. So I'm asking you, fair citizens of Rm.net to list your favorite boss battles, cool gimmicks for bosses to do, or just things that you'd like to see more bosses have.

I'll start.

I always remember the "Countdown" bosses. Namely Behemoth and Demon Wall from FF4. Such intense battles. Also, I love Boss Battles where the boss knocks you to 1 hp at the very beginning of the battle.
What i love about bosses the most are when they are challenging. Having bosses where you have a certain time limit or even when your health or something is rapidly dropping as you battle. This is why i love final fantasy games so much as they have all this and they make the game more challenging and fun. Another thing that i find makes a good boss battle are the animations and graphics used. No one wants to fight a boss that is boring and doesn't have these things.
I've always liked this one I came up with for one of my old projects, it's a basic escape battle, but with enemies linked to heroes. It's a way to make a challenging fight against a stronger (invincible) enemy that you must run away from without making the fight very easy. Normally a boss would just either kill the player or the player would press "escape" and the battle would end.

In this encounter, there would be the same amount of enemies as heroes in the party. The boss character would be invincible. Each of the other minions would behave normally. After three rounds or so, each individual character in the party runs away, with the dialogue like, "This enemy is tailing me! I'll distract him from the group by running away! See you at town!" Of course not exactly like that, but you get the point. After this speech, a switch is triggered, causing the behavior of the enemy the hero spoke of to run that turn. This would happen for each minion/hero set, except the protagonist. The protagonist then must survive a few turns on their own against the boss.

This may seem simple, the strategy being just defend all the time, but the real meat comes with when a hero or enemy dies. If a minion is killed before they can be led off by a fleeing hero, then the hero that would normally leave the party that turn can stay, and help the protagonist survive against the boss. However, if a hero dies before they can lead off an enemy, then that enemy stays to help the boss against the protagonist. The player now can use offense in an attempt to defend the protagonist. It works quite well.

This make sense to anyone? I'll post more later if I remember any I've used.
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
A great boss feature is the ones with diffrent forms beat one it transforms into another. OR the wait till your MP reaches full power for an ultimate attack and you would have to stall until it reaches full power. Another one I like is after a few turns an ally joins you.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
A good boss for me, is one that makes you work hard. Usual encounters are a breeze, but the boss should put your skills and sword to the test. If you don't die a dozen times and struggle to survive, the boss failed as a challenge.
Ones that morph into something else halfway through the battle. It's like two bosses in one!
I must say I don't like transforming bosses that do so for no apparent reason. I mean, it's fine if it's part of the actual plot, but it seems every "ultimate" boss these days has some revival/multiple-part-fight property... I just don't think it's that interesting to warrant reuse. Though it may be interesting if the progress of the battle influences the transformation, in the sense that the boss morphs into a physical creature if MP is low, etc...
Instead of morphing halfway through the battle, my favorites are the ones the transform after the battle.

So you go through this really tough battle and are almost dead, and with no chance to heal or recollect you are helplessly tossed into another terribly hard battle with all of your health and stats the same as before.

Golden Sun is guilty of that.
I personally hate any sort of transformation gimmick. It reeks of "That was only a fraction of my power. Now I'll show you my true power/suffering/poorwritingskills!" It hurts my brain and it gives me another reason to quit playing (doubly so if there some stupid villian monologue while doing so, the process takes five minutes, and I don't get a chance to use items since the party had their heads stuck up their own asses during the intermission)

Yes, this makes me a hypocrite; I've got a transforming final boss for DG. I've got a bit of ingame explanation to why, but at the end of the day its the same shit. I hate transforming bosses with silly explantions.
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=1142.msg17112#msg17112 date=1211236239
I personally hate any sort of transformation gimmick. It reeks of "That was only a fraction of my power. Now I'll show you my true power/suffering/poorwritingskills!" It hurts my brain and it gives me another reason to quit playing (doubly so if there some stupid villian monologue while doing so, the process takes five minutes, and I don't get a chance to use items since the party had their heads stuck up their own asses during the intermission)

Man, that's bunk. There are all sorts of reasons for transforming bosses besides the Dragonball Z issue. You've basically ruled out all were-creatures, shapeshifters, body horrors, and even something like a larval creature you have to destroy before it turns into a big bad. All of these can have some pretty major impact storywise. Not to mention multi-phasal bosses which gameplay-wise are identical.
But even besides that, the whole "holding back" thing isn't even inherently bad on its own. It's generally executed poorly, but there's no reason someone couldn't do it in a good way. I can't think of any good ways, but that doesn't mean there aren't any. But yeah, just writing off a whole mechanic like that because it reminds you of Dragonball Z is silly.
I suppose "Any" is too strong of a word. If there's a valid reason for the transformation/powerup, I'm game. For example, using the were-creature example, if you're fighting a lycanthrope in human form and they don't want the fact that they're a lycanthrope to be revealed, I can see them fighting in human form at first until they get more desperate and transform, revealing his secret.

Now if the same lycanthrope was found in his secret hideout, he's planning on killing the party, and the and there's no one to hide from, why not have the lycanthrope start off transformed? When the fight starts with the lycanthrope in human form who changes during the fight, that's the shit I hate (unless there's another reason, like maybe the more the lycanthrope's in his transformed state, the more insane he is or something)

When the reasoning behind the transformation aren't stupid (ripped from DBZ, there just to have a transforming boss, SO YOU REVEAL YOUR TRUE FORM (Not complaining about SF64 here), ect.), that's what I hate. I did overgeneralize though, but most transforming boss that I could think of fell under the "That's a terrible reason/No reason at all" category

I'm probably just grouchy from fighting the Morgan. That's a 'transforming' boss that just plain stupid. Twelve missiles later and he finally turns on his anti-missile shield and activates the time limit of doom? What was he doing for the last couple minutes?
I enjoy real time transformations, because it keeps you from repeating a single strategy. When the boss changes the strategy and play style should change as well, it keeps you on your toes.
In this vein, I liked the FFVI boss battle against the andriod. He would rotate his elemental weakness, absorb and immunity during the battle. It was neat.

I also like killing undead bosses with a single fenix down (but not really. I think it's cheap ;) )
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I was going to bring that up, kentona. The Mage Master dude.

As for other interesting boss gimmicks, there are an infinite amount of ideas. What I know I hate about some bosses is how after you find their weakness, they become a complete push over.

A constant barrage of challenge is best.
author=WIP link=topic=1142.msg17157#msg17157 date=1211257100

As for other interesting boss gimmicks, there are an infinite amount of ideas. What I know I hate about some bosses is how after you find their weakness, they become a complete push over.

How do you make a boss a challenge without giving him some weakness to figure out?
author=kentona link=topic=1142.msg17151#msg17151 date=1211255286
I also like killing undead bosses with a single fenix down (but not really. I think it's cheap ;) )

I liked to do that only if the boss was a real challenge and you couldn't beat him. But it's fun to do anyway.

author=Erave link=topic=1142.msg17163#msg17163 date=1211266278
How do you make a boss a challenge without giving him some weakness to figure out?

What i have started to add in my game are status effects that not only hurt the enemy but also make the fight just that bit more challenging. I use things such as HP absorbs where your health is continuosly running down the whole time so you have to regular heal and such. Time limit bosses where you have to beat the enemy in a certain amount of time as well as status effects such as having to fight the battle while poisoned or something similar to that. Doing these little things can make the boss a bit more challenging and really aggitate the player.
Yeah, if you played some of the optional bosses in Final Fantasy 12, there were a few who became very difficult because the room they were in prevented the player from spamming the most effective tactics. One of the Espers, for example, has a field preventing you from attacking, so you have to use Magicks and Technicks, which seriously reduces your damage output....not as much of a problem in the regular game, I imagine, but in IZJS it becomes a lot more difficult because most characters don't have Telekinesis. Another Esper prevents you from using magicks, which forces you to set up clever item-use gambits to survive.

The main problem with that sort of gimmick is if you force the player to make use of an aspect of the system that is only useful in that situation. Terranigma's Bloody Mary is an example, though as I hear it not an intentional one. Because of a glitch, the only thing that can effectively (read: for more than one point of damage at a time) hurt her are magic attacks that are almost completely useless in any other situation, so there's a good chance the player hasn't been using them or collecting the phlebotinum to make them work, making Bloody Mary a big chore for a lot of people. If you're going to force the player to use one aspect of the battle system to beat a puzzle-boss, make sure that aspect is useful in other situations.
Another common boss gimmick is to have a boss with minions that he constantly revives/summons more of.

So not only do you have to contend with the boss, but also a swarm of little shitheads.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry

Well what I mean, is something like Flash Man in Mega Man 2. In the original it takes like what, 4 metal blades and he's toast. In the Anniversary Collection and such, it takes twice that, making the battle more challenging.

I was just saying that I don't think a boss should have a completely debilitating weakness.
author=WIP link=topic=1142.msg17194#msg17194 date=1211301245

Well what I mean, is something like Flash Man in Mega Man 2. In the original it takes like what, 4 metal blades and he's toast. In the Anniversary Collection and such, it takes twice that, making the battle more challenging.

I was just saying that I don't think a boss should have a completely debilitating weakness.

I dig. But it does feel nice to the player to have either gained a skill or worked hard to discover a weakness and be rewarded. But you're right, it shouldn't be total rape.
Pages: first 12 next last