NEW RULE: STOP POSTING SHITTY BLOGS

author=kentona
There isn't a rule about putting up more than one blog per day, so I don't know where that's coming from. The only rule is that you can't post two (or more) blogs back to back one right after another.

I was referring to what Solitayre said. And, I have no idea infectionfiles but like I said some things just kind of deserve their own blog.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
What do you mean back to back? Like, no one can post on your blog except you. So it's impossible for anything to be in between two of your blog posts except another one of your blog posts, so... aren't all blog posts back to back? Do you mean posting another blog post before anyone's commented on the last one?
I mean one right after another. Like, make one blog post, then click submit, then make another right away, and clicking submit. (This has happened in the past)
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
OK, so, like, within an hour or so. Got it.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
author=Monthigos
I was curious about these blog posts that were 'shitty' so I started checking out blogs. What I found was that most of the 'quality' blogs were largely ignored while the 'shitty' ones received a lot of attention BECAUSE of enforcement of this rule. In almost all case the reasoning for the blogs being 'shitty' was disputed by the poster or one of the fans of the said game. To me this just feels unnecessary and counterproductive: it feels like a peeve more than an actual problem. I would think in an era where TL;DR is the norm that this wouldn't even be an issue. But it's not my site--do what you want.

Anyway there is a lot of things about this site that have just rubbed me the wrong way. I pulled my game from this site because I don't really feel comfortable making updates here anymore. I will however stick around a bit because there are some fantastic games here and try to be supportive if I can.

I never thought that the dog-piling on people who wrote the alleged "shitty blogs" was useful or constructive, but I've long since accepted the fact that this is a community of children and that I shouldn't expect better.

One user caught so much flak over his blogs that he pretty much stopped posting them here. Destroying the village to save the village seems to be missing the point.

Basically I think this whole argument is deeply stupid and there was never a problem with blogs in the first place. Yeah, an occasional bad blog slips through. Who cares? The only way it could be a problem is if everyone blows up and acts like its a problem. Most users make fair use of the blog function and I rarely if ever see actual abuse. I mean, where is this even coming from? "You shouldn't be on the front page, so I can stay on the front page longer?" Is that really any fairer or less 'abusive?'

People claiming this is some new age or the turning of a corner just confuse me, because nothing is going to change, because this 'problem' never actually existed.

Basically I'm seeing a bunch of people forcing a bunch of extra work on kentona and Deckiller to police a problem that didn't exist until a bunch of people decided that it did.

but if seeing a rule in big bold print that says "no shitty blogs' makes you feel better, great.
author=Gourd_Clae
Yes, but things like completely losing everything you've worked on deserves a blog, and if you had posted your excellent progress earlier in the day or something then a restricting rule like that would really piss you off.

Perhaps. But I dare to say that if the first thing you think about after losing your game is to blog about it, you have your priorities messed up. I would first, dunno, ask for help (help forum), research about any possible solutions (google), trying to find a back-up copy in one of my many storage devices, and finally cry myself to sleep and let it sink for a while after that. =P

author=kentona
There isn't a rule about putting up more than one blog per day, so I don't know where that's coming from. The only rule is that you can't post two (or more) blogs back to back one right after another.

Seriously? That's it? That's rather arbitrary and not very well tought-out... *Sigh* I guess you can't win them all, can you? xP

author=Solitayre
stuff

Whoa! Bitter much? You know, I couldn't help but to feel alluded by your post and it's just... wow... that's low, man. Just low.
LockeZ
Thanks for the needless drama, Sai. Did you get it out of your system?
The idea of the separate portals for things will probably help with this, anyway. The only issue I've noticed with blogs were the times that they were used to generate buzz and keep the creators' game in the top buzzing section. As with anything new, it was being exploited at one point but things have cooled off a bit in that aspect.
I'd say a rule of common sense is all that's really necessary. Do you really need to post up 5 blogs about what you've just completed in as many hours? If so, get a twitter instead.
There were also cases of people reblogging the same blog over and over, which is an abuse of blog rules. Again, commons sense dictates that if people didn't see it the first time, they probably don't care.

The thing people forget about blogs is that they're supposed to be for those who are following your game most of all - that's what we have notifications for. Sure, they show up on the front page but they're not really going to be drawing people to your project as much as images and downloads will. Yes, sometimes people will jump on them from there, but not as many as will from other aspects - top buzz, new images, random images, new downloads...
Hence, blogs should mostly be for informing those who have already subscribed. Besides, how likely is someone to subscribe to a game whose blog they clicked on read "OMG, ttly just finished mah super awesome battle system! LOL. Looks so awesome! Ill post vid soon gais!".
Not many.

Ergo, quality blogs will win out in the subscription war. The only way the bad blogs win is if people actually start commenting on them, generating buzz and getting the game noticed.

Shun the bad blogs. Shun them, I say!
author=alterego
author=kentona
Seriously? That's it? That's rather arbitrary and not very well tought-out... *Sigh* I guess you can't win them all, can you? xP
I meant, with regards to the whole double-posting thing. The no Shitty Blog Content rule applies, too.

To clarify, here is the new rule in a nutshell:
1) No shitty contentless blog posts allowed
2) No posting blogs back-to-back
EDIT:
3) Reposting the same blog.
...You forgot reposting the same blog, there. ;P
Fixed.

Also, we have a common sense rule that applied to blog posting. We had that for a while.
@Alterego I would be blogging to inform them that I'm a failure at life and other mopey things and that I would do my best to get what I could back and that if they could help me in anyway do it. Then I'd ask in the forums, then google search my own answer while waiting for a good response from the blog or the thread. I'm just efficient that way.
I feel like I'd be a good blogging samitarian.
Creation
An avid lover of Heartache 101
The thing people forget about blogs is that they're supposed to be for those who are following your game most of all - that's what we have notifications for. Sure, they show up on the front page but they're not really going to be drawing people to your project as much as images and downloads will. Yes, sometimes people will jump on them from there, but not as many as will from other aspects - top buzz, new images, random images, new downloads...

Hence, blogs should mostly be for informing those who have already subscribed. Besides, how likely is someone to subscribe to a game whose blog they clicked on read "OMG, ttly just finished mah super awesome battle system! LOL. Looks so awesome! Ill post vid soon gais!".
Not many.

That’s actually partly true. I often browse blogs with interesting titles to see what the game is up to and discovered good projects that way. Who knows anyway.
I'd say a rule of common sense is all that's really necessary. Do you really need to post up 5 blogs about what you've just completed in as many hours? If so, get a twitter instead.

Pretty much, yes.

I never thought that the dog-piling on people who wrote the alleged "shitty blogs" was useful or constructive, but I've long since accepted the fact that this is a community of children and that I shouldn't expect better.

How about nuancing a bit? Dog-piling about shitty blogs is not useful. Trying to set higher standards is for the front page is. It doesn’t have anything to do with “being children”, that’s a hollow argument. Featured Game make it to the front page because they show some real potential or are deemed of good quality. Why not follow the same ideal when it comes to blog or at least strive to do so?
One user caught so much flak over his blogs that he pretty much stopped posting them here. Destroying the village to save the village seems to be missing the point.

I agree, that’s a shame. I’ve been guilty of shitty blogging before because I didn’t know any better. Telling people politely is the best policy.

Basically I think this whole argument is deeply stupid and there was never a problem with blogs in the first place. Yeah, an occasional bad blog slips through. Who cares? The only way it could be a problem is if everyone blows up and acts like its a problem. Most users make fair use of the blog function and I rarely if ever see actual abuse. I mean, where is this even coming from? "You shouldn't be on the front page, so I can stay on the front page longer?" Is that really any fairer or less 'abusive?'

I don’t think your perception is stupid but I’d certainly say it’s super negative. Encouraging people to write quality blogs (without dissing them) is not about who says the longest on the front page (not in my perspective anyway) but rather about rewarding people who take the time to write quality blogs.

People claiming this is some new age or the turning of a corner just confuse me, because nothing is going to change, because this 'problem' never actually existed.

Again, nuance. Nobody said it was a new age of anything, you’re exaggerating an opposite point of view in order to ridicule it. And yeah, I disagree that this problem never existed in the first place, so let’s agree to disagree.

I think what essentially bothers you is the “burn the witch” trigger reflex when someone messes up that bothers you above everything, I doubt you’d be against higher standards when it comes to blogs.

Basically I'm seeing a bunch of people forcing a bunch of extra work on kentona and Deckiller to police a problem that didn't exist until a bunch of people decided that it did.

Holy, the drama, feels like a Hamlet all over again. This is so extreme.

As far as I know, Kentona and Deckiller are volunteers to work around here. I personally really appreciate the work they do around here and think they’re doing a damn fine job. This being said, it’s up to them to choose to deal with this or not to. If they don’t want to do it, they’re free not to. Let’s keep our feet on the ground here.

And it wasn’t a problem because people decided that it wasn’t. Sorry, but this argument can go either way and doesn’t mean anything.

but if seeing a rule in big bold print that says "no shitty blogs' makes you feel better, great.

*Sigh* again, nuance. What I think is commendable is the administration taking a stance to encourage quality blogs. What is there to be against I wonder…

God damn it Kentona, I actually went back to my blog posts to see if the date coincided with this rule. :X
I should point out that all I wanted was a minimum character limit to lower the number of content-less blogs. Maybe 500-chars or so (youtube comment max).
Image/video links have lots of characters in them by nature, plus the author's adding "look. new video is new" meets the prereq. "No homework this weekend. I'll be working on this" doesn't.

Forcing kentona and deckiller to make arbitrary judgements was never in my thoughts :x Or since they're calling for community help in enforcing, maybe their diabolical plot is to have all the Charles Bronsons exhaust themselves in a week or two, letting this all go quietly into the night.
I think I overreacted. I see the value of this rule. Incidentally I broke this rule drunk without realizing there was such a rule. How do I delete a blog post? I'm mildly retarded and I'm not seeing the option.
Manage Game > Blogs > Delete button on the row of the blog you want to delete.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
What are some examples of blogs that don't meet your standards?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Anything along the lines of.

"I just posted a demo. Enjoy!"

instead of

"Demo 2.0 has been posted. Here's a list of changes:

etc etc etc

Also, be sure to check out some of the early areas in the game. I added additional maps and chests, as well as a couple bonus cutscenes.

Feedback would be appreciated. I'm not sure when the next demo is coming out, but any suggestions would be implemented toward Demo 3.0."

Another example:

"Today I worked on a few maps."

It's an equity thing, really. Games get bumped to the main page via "latest blogs", and it's unfortunate to see people with in-depth blog postings get bumped off by one-liners (or multiple short blogs from the same project in one afternoon).
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=TFT
WIP ARE YOU PROUD OF WHAT YOU HAVE CREATED?! WHERE IS THE RPGMAKER MESSIAH!!!

I'M RIGHT HERE DON'T SHOUT

My suggestion: take blog posts off the frontpage. Problem solved.