IDEAS FOR PLUGINS IN DYNRPG

Pages: first 1234 next last
Hi, I expect have here some ideas of features that can be interesting see in 2k3 with dynrpg, I will try make some images about how it can look in the game.

Ideas for plugins in dynrpg

1-A Time-played feature in main menu

2-Customize font form, using font from a file as image (normally the psx-snes and
other system use the fonts from a image)

3-Sort items function for menu

4-Weight system for items, every item can have a weight and you have a limit for carry on.

You can say ideas and I will add em to the list
Currently, it's not possible to detect what is going on in the menu (which screen, which item selected, etc.). The only thing a developer can find out is whether the menu in general is active or not.

But I can tell you an undocumented way to find out which menu screen is shown.
int getMenuScreen() {
return (**reinterpret_cast<char ***>(0x4CDC60))[12];
}
0 = main screen
1 = item screen
2 = item target selection
3 = skill screen
4 = skill target selection
5 = teleport screen
6 = equipment screen
7 = end confirmation screen
8 = status screen
9 = party order screen

What's also possible is drawing a custom (maybe even animated) menu background, by handling the onSystemBackgroundDrawn callback.

Also, it's of course possible to draw something on top of the menu, using the normal onFrame callback.

By combining these things it would indeed be possible to add additional stuff to the menu, at least to the main menu screen. Other screens would still be difficult because additional information (which hero is selected, which item is selected, etc.) is not available yet.
Another thing
5- Can use pictures as below the hero too
Oh crap, I made a mistake in getMenuScreen. The correct code is:

int getMenuScreen() {

return (**reinterpret_cast<char ***>(0x4CDC60))[12];
}
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
1. I have implemented it. Once I make some adjustments based on cherry's feedback I can share. Here's an in-game screenshot:

it looks very good dragonheartman :p
6- Sound for texts while its written like Dragon quest/Zelda/Golden sun
(I don't know if its really possible make this effect with a engine, calling
a sound and stopping em after the message)

7-Loop for pictures, if a picture go through the right corner that can be appear in the left side too (with this is possible make custom rain effect, snow, and clouds that make a accurate scroll)
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
You can already loop pictures with Parallel Eventing.
Is it possible to edit the battle system with DynRPG? Namely, fix some of the bugs?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
or change it to a front view battle system? ;(
author=Yellow Magic
or change it to a front view battle system? ;(

I use a front view battle system in 2003 using normal ways
author=Feldschlacht IV
Is it possible to edit the battle system with DynRPG? Namely, fix some of the bugs?

I second this. Mainly the action canceling bug in the DBS that happens when players and enemies act at the same time. It's a small bug in theory, but it wreaks utter havoc on custom skill systems!

If I could select my skills without worrying about if the enemy might act at the same time and unintentionally cancel my entire action WHILE taking away my MP, my battle system would be complete. Or just getting rid of the ATB make making it turn based would be golden.

But that might be a bit much. That one turn based patch was good idea, but it clearly wasn't finished.
author=Feldschlacht IV

There is a plugin on Cherry's site that makes changes to the DBS. So yes. Can it change something specific for a specific bug, I can't say. Possibly.

RAGNADyn Plugin - A multi-functional battle plugin for DynRPG

FEATURES:
=========
Special Statuses: "Defense" Stats (wears off after afflicted does an action),
MultiAction Status (fills the ATB after one action, giving instant second action),
Slow/Fast Statuses (changes ATB gain values)*,
No-MP Death "Status" (special death if MP=0 for all battlers)

ATB Controls: ATB Wait mode can be de/activated by switch.
ATB Gain value and speed can vary changing a variable value.

Special Skills: NormalAttack Skill
TODO- Scan Skill (drawing stuff on screen rather than using speechboxes or animations)
TODO- Special formula skills (damage and effects being specific for certain skills)

Other stuff: No-Fullscreen
Fullscreen/DoubleResolution changes using switches
8 - A way to stop all the sounds that are playing in the map, (no music)
9 - Remember music position after battle because its always start from 0:00
Number 9 would be fantastic. if i may add to that list a designated switch that toggles on/off if any map event is active. this will make coding a cms less painful. the main idea being preventing acces to a menu during the middle of an event processing commands.
author=drenrin2120
if i may add to that list a designated switch that toggles on/off if any map event is active. this will make coding a cms less painful. the main idea being preventing acces to a menu during the middle of an event processing commands.

I do this manually and what you suggest doesn't sound like a viable alternative. That would mean in order to access the CMS no events can be active. That rarely happens unless your map is lifeless and it would mean you can put anything on the map that is always active.

For number 9, you could create copies of the same song at different starting points. If you track the midi ticks, then the next time you play the song you can pick the one that has a starting point closest to the previous midi ticks. Most songs would only needs a few starting points.
Thats actually a viable alternative for number. what i was suggesting with map events being active, i meant the actual commands. I'm assuming here theres a difference between an event moving around and it commands once "activated". in this way you coukd avoid having to manually place a swit h in every event longer than a message box.
Yeah, I know what you meant. And it's still not a good option because what is there to differentiate between commands that should disable the CMS and ones that shouldn't? If an event is playing a bgm, performing switch/variable operations, moving an event, or showing a picture it would be active but shouldn't disable the CMS every time. You would still have to manually determine that or you end up having the CMS disabled at times you don't want. You wouldn't be able to have loops running.

It would be less work to turn ON switches during times the CMS should be disabled and nest the code for the CMS in branches that check if those switches are OFF.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
author=Skie Fortress
author=Feldschlacht IV
I second this. Mainly the action canceling bug in the DBS that happens when players and enemies act at the same time. It's a small bug in theory, but it wreaks utter havoc on custom skill systems!
There's a workaround for this! To my knowledge, the bug occurs when two separate actions call the same common event. Try creating a common event for each character that needs one. It's sort of awkward, but if you're sticking with 2k3 workarounds should be commonplace. :)
Pages: first 1234 next last