CRAFTSTUDIO - COOL ENGINE TARGETED INTO EASY 3D DEVELOPMENT

Pages: 1
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
http://craftstud.io

Full version (premium account) costs 15 euro, but imho it's worth to pay this, because "basic" account doesn't have export/game testing functionality. Also when program will go into beta stage it will costs two times more.

Program itself shows what would happen if you would merge Minecraft and Game Maker. Maps are build in similar way to maps in Minecraft, but here you can choose which blocks do you use and you can texture them as you want. Also there are some block renderers that aren't available in MC without usage of specialized mods such as slopes and vertical slabs.

Let's go to modeling. Currently every model is constructed from boxes. However, even thought it may seem not enough for more complicated models, in reality, thanks to ability to freely rotate and rescale those boxes (they can even overlap each other), there is possible to even construct sphere. Additionally author of CraftStudio announced that in future he will add support for more traditional way of modeling, or even import of OBJ files, so you could make models for example in Blender.

CraftStudio doesn't force to make one genre of games. Similarly to tools like GM or The Games Factory you can make any game (racing, rpg, platformers - you name it). For now it doesn't have physic engine, but Bullet integration is planned. There is no lighting also, scene is lighted like in Minecraft Classic - one ambient light source for whole scene, without shadows, but there is planned addition for dynamic lighting.

The only noticeable fault of CraftStudio is that it is *currently* only available for Windows, because of used technology (.NET and XNA), but author assured that Linux and MacOS ports are planned "once MonoGame matures", because according to him (never used MonoGame, only standard Mono) 3D game support in MG is lacking yet.

Scripting is done using Lua programming language, but there are plans to integrate Construct-like event system, so you can basically click-out your very own 3D game..

Summary:
Advantages:
- Easy modeling and map mapping system
- Easy scripting in Lua
- Low price for software like this (even after setting fullprice, €30 it still will be lower from programs made for 2D games like MultiMedia Fusion or Game Maker)
- Big base of ready to use models and scenes (even now it is about few thousands of them)

Disadvantages:
- Still in production, so you should expect crashes and other bugs
- No sound support (author is working on it very hard though)
- No physics or collision detection which means you need to write your own (which isn't very hard - even I managed to do that, though I've never managed to write 2D collision detection)
- No way to control lighting of the scene, though you can use tricks like changing tileset of map or model texture.

You should however remember that most if not all of those disadvantages have root in young age of this project and not actual limitations.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
if it does not have RTP or anime facesets i do not think people here will be interested.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=TFT
if it does not have RTP or anime facesets i do not think people here will be interested.

This is false.
How many times am I going to wander into different topics to see TFT posting the same stupid shit about RTP usage? It's like watching a loud teenager spout out redundant nonsense that he thinks is both factual and witty.

Anyway, I swear I already wrote a legit reply about this? I think that the concept of the maker is really interesting, especially the aspect that allows anyone to make models using the basic shapes provided. Considering how much fun it is to skin and texture things, this could be a blast.

I'm going to wait until the program has a little more meat on its bones before I try it out though.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
TFT just likes causing trouble. He/She gets some sort of pleasure from doing this, I guess.

Anyway, I am definitely interested in this, it has the feel of Roblox or some other block game, and definitely looks nice. Same here, I will wait until it is more 'developed' to try it.
author=TFT
That is easily fixed :)
Rave
UPRC, if you want to pay €30 instead of mere €15, then sure, you can wait for final version. And yes, you answered in thread that I've made because of my own stupidity. Sorry.

And games can be made already. I really suggest to download free demo version that has everything except export functionality and try for yourself. If you will want more, you can buy premium account.

And TFT - I believe, when you say "RTP" you mean models, maps, textures and other shit, right? Well There are like few thousands of models right now made by CS community, same for textures and maps. You would know that if you would read OP carefully.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Ouch, you didn't take that post real good, Rave.

Of course there are probably people who are real eager to download this right away, but there are a lot of people who would rather wait for a completely developed version.

TFT is referring to the RTP in the RPG Makers, I assume.

edit:
I decided to read some of TFT's recent posts, and really a good chunk of them were about RTP and Kickstarter.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
author=UPRC
How many times am I going to wander into different topics to see TFT posting the same stupid shit about RTP usage? It's like watching a loud teenager spout out redundant nonsense that he thinks is both factual and witty.
isn't he like 30 now
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
author=Max McGee

Google Translate: "The more things change, the more it's the same thing"
... I don't get it.
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
I think it's funny that people like TFT rampaged and basically said "fuck you RMN" at some point awhile back and now every so often they pop in and usually just make shitty comments.

Maybe that's what Max is getting at?
Looks like this Engine was made to appeal to Minecraft players. They are probably right in doing so, as well. Minecraft Players have a huge amount of creativity (not just in Building, but also with Texture Packs and Mods) and it could be used to create some interesting games. By keeping the style the same they can use existing resources (skins, texture packs, and probably even maps) and focus on gameplay.

I am slightly in doubt of the legitimacy of their ability though. It's clear they have no sense for marketing. The three demo games they have videos posted of look awful, and one of them uses a Minecraft Texture Pack and music/sound effects from commercial games (Super Mario RPG, Final Fantasy, and Megaman X if I am correct.)
Rave
Prexus, those sound effects and music is only for purpose on videos. Granted, in instance of Natura Jump it was cleverly putted in so it resemble actual gameplay, but CraftStudio, as for now doesn't have sound support (both fx and music). Though there is some work done on that and we may soon see results if Elisee will be pleased.

Also I am sure if any better games will be made, they'll replace featured games with better ones. This is just beginning of the journey and scripting is relatively new feature (comparing to modeling and map making), so naturally there are very few games and even less games that are actually good.

This is like you would use (or even see on screenshots or video) early alpha of RPG Maker 95 with partially implemented eventing system and say there won't be any good games made with that and all future RPG Makers will suck (and as we know, they don't. Except maybe for XP which is laggiest RM even made).
author=Ratty524
author=Max McGee
Google Translate: "The more things change, the more it's the same thing"
... I don't get it.

The literal translation isn't very elegant. "The more things change, the more they stay the same."

Should be obvious what that means in relation to TFT *har har*
I'll take a pass and wait for Questmania or OverGrowth or just go back to Morrowind MODing.
Rave
Well, you can but comparison isn't right there. Both Overgrowth and Questmania are games, while CraftStudion is game making platform, so it is like comparing Hero's Realm to RPG Maker.

Anyway, I've already bought it and now working on platformer. When (and if, since I rarely finish my projects) it'll be done, I'll probably submit it here.
Pages: 1