"OTHER" ENGINE CATEGORY

Pages: first 123 next last
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Could you add "Other" category for engine, when submitting game? That would help separate games that were written from scratch (Custom) from games that were build with engines that are not in the list (SourceSDK, JME, CraftStudio, Game Develop)
Custom: Custom built projects made directly with a programming language, open-source or obscure maker.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
It doesn't make sense for Custom and Other to be separate, since somewhere down the line, you're using some kind of tool to aid in creating the game, unless you're writing your own graphics and input libraries.

EDIT: But I agree that renaming it from Custom to Other is probably a good idea for the reasons alterego will point out in the post below this one.
Even if that's true, wouldn't 'Other' be more encompassing/accurate than 'Custom'? Custom just gives the wrong idea. I know I've been tempted to ask a couple of times in the past: "Whoa, you made this from scratch?" only to find out an obscure maker was used.
As someone who actually uses 'Custom' as his maker, I prefer it over 'Other'. 'Other' is bland and non-descript. 'Custom' sounds unique, which the obscure makers are when you consider the demographic of the rest of the community.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
When it comes down to it, "Custom" simply sounds better than "Other".
author=Dyhalto
As someone who actually uses 'Custom' as his maker, I prefer it over 'Other'. 'Other' is bland and non-descript. 'Custom' sounds unique, which the obscure makers are when you consider the demographic of the rest of the community.

However, it's grammatically incorrect in cases of obscure makers. 'Custom' means "created (or altered) for a specific purpose". Right now, somebody who takes a less-known maker and makes a game in it without making any customizations whatsoever will end up under the label of "Custom", despite not actually being any more "Custom" than something made in one of the RPGMaker engines.

I'd support renaming that particular category to "Other".
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
So in short, people who make games in this category appreciate that it sounds better than it really is, and people who don't make games in this category don't appreciate it.

This should surprise no one.
author=Muninn
author=Dyhalto
However, it's grammatically incorrect in cases of obscure makers. 'Custom' means "created (or altered) for a specific purpose". Right now, somebody who takes a less-known maker and makes a game in it without making any customizations whatsoever will end up under the label of "Custom", despite not actually being any more "Custom" than something made in one of the RPGMaker engines.

You mean semantically incorrect. Why not just add "Other" and leave Custom?
Rave
^ And THAT was original idea.
author=ankylo
Why not just add "Other" and leave Custom?

There can be only one!
author=ankylo
author=Muninn
author=Dyhalto

You mean semantically incorrect. Why not just add "Other" and leave Custom?
I stand corrected.

Perhaps there should be a field included on the game submission form where people using "other/custom" can specify what engine they're using? We could then add them to the database (if doing so isn't a large amount of work on the administration).
Rave
Well, I think if such field would be introduced, automatically adding engine to list we can choose from is a no-go, as soon list would be spammed with items like "SuperUberEngine 6.66" or "Insert engine name here v3.0". So perhaps for informational purposes only and it would show instead of "Custom" text (or aside to it). Then maybe most popular engines that aren't on the list would be added manually.
author=Rave2010
Well, I think if such field would be introduced, automatically adding engine to list we can choose from is a no-go.

I agree, automated addition of new engines would be quite the terrible idea. It wouldn't work anyway, because someone would still have to come along and compile the necessary data for the engines section.
author=Link_2112
author=ankylo
There can be only one!

OVERMODERATION IS KILLING THE NANNY STATE THAT IS RMN!
Fine >:( Rename it to 'Other'
But at least let us keep the cool yellow diamond.

psst. Time for a Sim RPGMaker 95 category?
Rave
Are you color blind? It's clearly orange ;). And yeah, I think such icon describes pretty well this category.
Nobody cares what a game is made in except game developers in this community and Mac users.
Ooh! Oooh! How about 'alternative'? Various? Misc.?
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
author=kentona
author=Link_2112
author=ankylo
There can be only one!
OVERMODERATION IS KILLING THE NANNY STATE THAT IS RMN!

For the record, I've warned like three people since April.
Pages: first 123 next last