benos
My mind is full of fuck.
http://ackuna.com/badtranslator

Original text:

"My penis is so huge it reaches the top of the moon"

...8 translations later, Bing gives us:

"My brother was so big, small recipe of the month basic amount"

Wait, what?
I've discovered something of minor interest with this, enter something basic and it can still screw up massively.

For example with Bing and 18 translations

Olive --> Heakstunnistatud
Bread --> Note
Chair --> Director
Couch --> Training
Seventeen --> When young 17
What --> Each

So don't trust Bing it seems if it can't even do something like translate bread properly.
I saw same thing with google translate somewhere. So it's not just Bing.
there is a funny way to get a totally wrong translation in google translate, put whatever you want, translate it to whatever language you want, copy the result paste it in the space of what you want to translate and translate it to another language. Use the weirdest language, normally hindi is the one which makes everything wrong, at the end translate it to english or the original language, from a man who has a ton of free time
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Basically, translators fuck up everything. I once used google translate's phonetic typing function to look up the meaning of the lyrics of an anime intro, and it made less sense than when I tried it myself (and I only know like 5 words of Japanese). -_-

The above may have been subject to heavy exaggeration, but you get the point XD
Translators are never right. I don't know what's so hard about programming them, but apparently it is.
Because one word usually has a lot of meanings depending on context, and it's hard to indicate which one is right atm.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Gourd_Clae
Translators are never right. I don't know what's so hard about programming them, but apparently it is.

Well, I guess having a giant database with words and their translations isn't the hardest part, but grammar is just impossible to translate. All languages use completely different grammar rules, so I think the problems arise there.

Of course, that doesn't explain olive turning into heakstunningstatus -_-
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Uh, that's easy to explain. If "bread" and "note" are spelled the same in one of the languages, then when translating from that language to another one, it just guesses based on which word is more commonly used. Apparently note is more common than bread.

Most translation programs manually choose which meaning of the word is more common, based on a variety of rules that attempt to analyze the context of the word. Google Translate uses a different method: it searches for the two possibilities on google internet search, and looks to see which one gets more hits, and uses that one. Of course, it also uses context; if you put it in a sentence like "I ate some <bread/note>," it'll compare the results for "bread" and "note", then it'll compare the results for "some bread" and "some note", then it'll compare the results for "ate some bread" and "ate some note", etc. It'll weigh these and figure out what you're most likely to be saying.

Heakstunnistatud is even easier to explain. First you translated it from english to a lanugage where the word for olive was "heakstunnistatud." Then you translated it from that language to a language that doesn't have a word for olive in their dictionary (either because it's spoken in a region without olives, or because the dictionary is incomplete), so the word wasn't translated. Then you translated it from that language back to english, but this time heakstunnistatud wasn't a word in the language you were translating from, so it again wasn't translated.
I'm going to skip over the deep conversation on language and just post what I got when I did it.

Typed in: Dude, where's my car?

Got back: Hello, car.

Apparently I found my car while waiting for that to finish translating.
author=LockeZ
If "bread" and "note" are spelled the same in one of the languages, then when translating from that language to another one, it just guesses based on which word is more commonly used.

Yeah, maybe but it went via Pa, PA, and Record first so could still have happened.

author=LockeZ
Heakstunnistatud is even easier to explain. First you translated it from english to a lanugage where the word for olive was "heakstunnistatud." Then you translated it from that language to a language that doesn't have a word for olive in their dictionary

This reason can't be right at all really just due to the way the translator works. What the translator does is translate it to another language and then back to english repeatedly, that particular example with olive was it knowing how to go from English to Estonian but not Estonian to English.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Huh. I thought it was cycling it between 12 different languages, not the same language 12 times.

In that case I guess it just only includes that word in one direction.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Original text:

"pie"

...35 translations later, Bing gives us:

"Kung Fu shoes"

:P

EDIT: Bing sure likes Kung Fu... >.>

"Wow i am awesome. Its crazy really, how awesome i am. I mean, sometimes, im so awesome it actually hurts me how awesome i am. So yeah, i suppose you get that im awesome?"

"Wow! Wow!, callout, in many cases, the full set of results, but yes I think than Kung Fu or cheese"

Another EDIT:

Original text:

"Steak."

...18 translations later, Bing gives us:

"THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF GERMANY."
Haha it's true that online translation sucks most of the time, even the good ones like google translate. I usually just use it to get the meaning of one word, because if I type a whole sentence or paragraph it doesn't make sense at all!

I guess we still need human translators for now :P
Original text:

"what is this I don't even"

"This is in my opinion."

Interesting...
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
author=Antilurker77
Original text:

"what is this I don't even"

"This is in my opinion."

Interesting...

That defines bing in a single sentance.
"Madness must devour the mind"

"Garden comments insane."

Well, I can't deny that direct translations always results in near failure, thus why we should only rely on human skills.
Translators translates texts "literally", so of course they aren't accurate. They aren't fluid at all.

It's worst when you use translators to translate japanese to english, because the sentence structures of these two languages are just almost completely different.
I wish that the universal translators on Star Trek would fuck up as badly as Bing and Babelfish do.

/nerd moment
author=eplipswich
Translators translates texts "literally", so of course they aren't accurate. They aren't fluid at all.

It's worst when you use translators to translate japanese to english, because the sentence structures of these two languages are just almost completely different.

Original text:

"literally "

"How to create?"

(Couldn't resist.)
Pages: first 12 next last