VX ACE AUTOTILE BREAKER?

Pages: 1
Rave
Even newspapers have those nowadays.
Is there a software that would break VX Ace autotiles into single tiles? I need to use some of autotile graphics for events and as you probably might know, we can't use tileset A for event graphics, only B-E.
Rave
Any help with that?
I had the same problem. I wanted a few ground parts, but couldn't get them from Tileset A.

If you have any editing software(photoshop, PSP, GIMP, not MSpaint), you should be fine. Just open up tileset A1/2/3/4(whichever you need the tiles from), and B/C(doesn't really matter) in your editing program, and place the tiles you need from tileset A to the B/C you opened. Make sure you got the exact part copied over one of the tiles in B/C.

Repeat with any other tiles you need.

Now SAVE the tileset from B/C As Tileset D.(Name doesn't really matter, but just don't overwrite your current tilesets.

Import Tileset D into your database, and add it under D(or E if D is taken). Tileset D will pop up, and you will be able to use them as an event this way.

I'm to lazy to put up screenshots, so I hope my explanation hits the spot!
Rave
Yea, I know, but breaking autotiles (water, walls, ceiling, carpets, etc.) with gimp is a PAIN,
Meh, it's not that much of a hassle. Every tile is 33 x 33px. Having that in mind, it's easy to extract the right tiles you need for your project.
Rave
Yes, but autotile can break into several different tiles: Middle, outer corener, inner corner, middle top edge, middle left edge, etc. Single tiles are easy to copy-paste, but all variations of autotiles are not.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
If you're not willing to edit graphics just to do something as simple as change the graphics you already have from tilesets into charsets, you're not gonna get very far in RPG Maker. Doing either this or editing the tilesets is something you're probably gonna have to do at least a few times per map, when you're making a game. Very rarely do the tilesets and charsets you're using already have the exact configuration you need for every single object on a map, even if they have something similar.
Doing this is incredibly easy with iDraw. You can set a grid and the select tool will automatically highlight the right size of the tiles and you can separate them.

I doubt there is a tool for this since it's so easy to do.
Rave
AUTOTILES AREN"T LIKE NORMAL TILES!
How do you for example get upper-right inner corner from autotile? It was easy, when autotiles where 3x4 tiles (RM2k-XP, not sure about 95), but with VX (3x2) it is impossible to even DRAW autotile properly.

And manually ripping all autotile outcomings into tileset its tedious, since there are like 40 or so possible autotile outcomings.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
You assemble them from the appropriate parts of the autotile set. Divide each tile of the autotile into further quarters and it's simple. It's probably better to assemble these into a Charset, rather than cutting up your lower tiles.

You're using RM. Tedium comes with the territory.
Rave
No, RM is not tedious, at least for me. Breaking autotile, however is. So I need automatic tool. Also so-called autotile explanation in VX Ace help file is so vague that I can't make any sense out of it.
...It's kinda easy, really.
Use iDraw or another program with a grid in it and set it to 16x16 pixels. Then reconstruct from the part the 32x32 bits you want. Have fun~
Ocean
Resident foodmonster

Here's how a template for it looks. Consider each general color (green, blue, brown, purple) as an autotile.

16x16 corners, 16x32 or 32x16 sides, 32x32 middle. That's pretty much how it works. The top 2 tiles in an autotile is for the corners (on the right) and either to show how it looks when you put only one tile down or for the map editor display on the left side. I haven't really tested that. Either way, the autotiling part itself consists of 4 tiles so it's a total size of 64x64.

Or if you're mapping it and just want to show the middle piece without anything else, press shift while placing it down.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
There isn't an automated tool so stop fucking demanding one. But, okay, since you're too much of a pussy to spend ten minutes figuring out on your own how autotiles work, here's an alternate way that doesn't involve doing so.

- Make a new map
- Draw with the autotile so that the shape you want is somewhere on the screen
- Hold down shift and draw the white tablecloth table on all the tiles around the tile that's in the shape you want, now it's surrounded by solid white
- Press Prnt Scrn to take a screenshot
- Go into your image editor of choice and paste the screenshot
- The solid white all around your tile should make it extremely easy to select the exact 32x32 tile you need, and copy and paste that tile into a charset or into the TileE tileset or whatever you want to do with it

...Dudes can stop suggesting iDraw, though, since it doesn't work with XP or VX graphics.
I wrote a Python script for GIMP to rearrange VX autotiles for Oxtongue Heroes.

The actual script I used probably wouldn't be of enormous use to you because it was outputting a different autotile format instead of individual tiles, but if it's something you need to do a lot I recommend the process.
Rave
LockeZ, your method won't work in case of transparent/half-transparent autotiles, which is what I'm trying to rip.

DFalcon, could you change your script so it would break it into single tiles in a for loop or something (I could do it myself, but I know literally nothing about GIMP scripting)?

Or if it outputs XP autotile format, it would be good also, since breaking XP autotiles is a lot easier than breaking vx ones.
Pages: 1