SUGGESTED FEATURE - UNIQUE IP COUNTER

Pages: 1
Thiamor
I assure you I'm no where NEAR as STUPID as one might think.
The suggested Feature here is mainly for topics, not the site as a whole.

My thought process for this is that you can't really judge a topic by the views, as a lot of the views come from same people returning to view the topic. But you can judge it in a sense, based on how many people VIEW the topic if it counted each person who visited the topic once.

This is where the Unique IP Counter would come in handy. It would count each person's IP once, and thus give you a slightly more accurate count as to how many different people view your topic. Some will be the same with different IP Addresses, but not everyone.

The majority of the people on here would not have their IP changed, thus it would be off a bit, but not by much. This would give you an idea (as would the comments) on how well your topic is fairing.

So it'd show on the side, like normal, the views, the amount of comments and the Unique IP views. It wouldn't help a lot to make a huge difference in either traffic or game designing, but it would give people an idea as to how each topic is doing before visiting the topic.

So, what do you think?
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Kind of an unnecessary feature imo, a lot of work just for some people to feel confidence in their topic making skills. I am pretty sure that 1 person views a topic 999 times like that anyway.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
this is pretty dumb and random
Thiamor
author=Adon237
Kind of an unnecessary feature imo, a lot of work just for some people to feel confidence in their topic making skills. I am pretty sure that 1 person views a topic 999 times like that anyway.

I think you misread (or didn't read) the part where I said it only counts that person's IP 1 time. The views it has implemented now, counts EVERYTIME the person views it. For every view they do, it only does it once, anytime after, it doesn't count it, with my idea of having that added on.

So it gives you a proper view count on how many people view it, rather than how many "views" it gets by everyone added together. That is what it means by "Unique IP Counter". You can also Google it.

For example, say it's set up like this in the topic list.

Views (100) - The normal set up that counts the total amount of views.
IP (10) - The suggested function set up to show the total amount of people who viewed the topic.
Replies (20) - The normal set up that counts the total amount of replies.

In this example, the topic has been viewed 100 times by a total of 10 people, who happen to have commented on it 20 times.
But who really cares? Why is it important for anyone to know how many times different people have visited a topic? It doesn't count towards anything and doesn't do anything. Hell, does anyone notice a change when it's over 100 or so? I don't think so. People tend to only care when it comes to actual posts made in the topic.

So, why would this feature be worth having?
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I guess the validity of this suggestion depends on how you define the word "view". Personally, I think any "view" is a "view", so the way the forums currently track topic viewings don't seem an issue to me.

That said, and assuming this suggestion is a valid one, this would still be quite low priority on the list of things to do since the way the forums track viewings right now haven't affected anyone negatively.
Thiamor
Well yeah, it's very low in priority. But so is a lot of stuff you'll get in a public setting with suggestions.

I just feel it'd help each person out a tad bit, by knowing the over all stats of their topics. Like myself.
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
All are still a higher priority, and
author=Adon237

I made a typo:
I am pretty sure that 1 person will never view a topic 999 times like that.
author=Thiamor
Well yeah, it's very low in priority. But so is a lot of stuff you'll get in a public setting with suggestions.

I just feel it'd help each person out a tad bit, by knowing the over all stats of their topics. Like myself.

How will it help you out? Examples please. The only one I can think of is e-peen and that's not exactly 'helping'.
Thiamor
Say you're making a topic meant to share information. It'd be good to know the over-all stats of that topic, given you're wanting to know how well it's fairing over all, not just by total comments or total views. Know exactly how many people is clicking to view the topic you made.
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
You can already get a rough estimate to a topic's overall health and popularity by gauging how much viewings it has compared to other topics on the same page, coupled with how often a topic is being posted in, what is being posted (2~3-paragraph debate posts? 1-sentence comments?), who and how many are posting, and just the general flow of the topic in general.

Sure, I agree with you that the topic view counter isn't pin-point accurate the way it is right now, but it can still give you a general estimate as to how popular that topic is.

For daily purposes this should in theory be good enough coupled with other points of comparison if you should need something more detailed.
Pages: 1