SAD/WORRYING MOMENTS IN VIDEO GAMES

Pages: first 12 next last
Adon237
if i had an allowance, i would give it to rmn
Sometimes, when a game manages to tell a story good, and the characters and such grow on you, what happens to them can directly affect your mood when playing the game. Sad/Worrying moments like when a character is dying, or has been hurt, or has lost something dear to them, etc.
What moments in video games have made you sad? Worried?

Personally, I have not played too many RPGs outside of Square's influence, so naturally, one sad moment was in Final Fantasy IV when Palom and Porom casted Stone on themselves to becomes hard as a rock to protect everyone else from being crushed by the walls. I could not believe that just happened, and then started worrying they would be that way forever, etc. etc.
Another sad moment would be in Final Fantasy IX, during the end, it is hinted that Vivi dies. Vivi along with Steiner and Quina were like the only tolerable characters in that game for me, so that kind of depressed me for a while.

How about you guys, share some sad moments with us!
Unless you are too macho to be affected by video game character happenings. ;)
Spoiler Alert: Valkyria Chronicles

uuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUGGHGHGHGHGHGH FUCK
Nier made me sad a lot of times.

Massive spoiler:

The game just loves killing of characters that you care about. Starting simple, sending you on a quest to find someone's dog, only to find it in a pool of blood.

It get's worse, the prince's wife dies, Emil dies, Devola and Popola die, the prince presumably dies, and depending on the ending you get, Kayne, or even the main character dies, or rather, disappears, completely forgotten, to save Kayne's life, even abandoning his daughter after finally saving her. - that part was made even more sad when Kayne opens her eyes, and Jonah asks her why she is crying, when she should be happy that she finally rescued Jonah, the sadness she felt - then only memory left of the main character.

Not to mention the already twisted fate of the original versions of the main character and his daughter (that you play right at the beginning), who died long ago and are now just shadows.

I felt really bad after defeating the main "villain" of the game, who is just an undead father trying to protect his little girl.

It didn't feel like winning the game at all, the endings made me more sad than happy.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Most Final Fantasy games today make me sad when I hear that they exist

Also, this topic is one giant spoiler alert, don't read anything in this topic if there are any video games you haven't played yet and might some day
Suikoden 2: Nanami's death. And well, everything else that transpires around that particular event. It's a very poignant moment in the story... Although, I think they dropped the ball right afterwards because after hearing the bad news from doctor Huan everything goes back to normal. If I remember correctly, nobody mentions the happening, not even the music of your castle changes to a sad tune or anything. And even if you get the good ending, it kinda feels like a cop-out.

Suikoden 3: Luc's fate. Luc is such a sympathetic antagonist. Learning what he had experienced through his life and why he took the decision to do what he wanted to do, almost makes me feel bad for being with the good guys. Oh, and when he visit Leknaat for one last time is a very touching moment, considering her role in the series and that you only get to see her in Luc's story... Well, now that I watch it again is a very redundant set of dialogue, but the emotion is there.

Xenosaga series: I don't know, any time when the characters seem to have lost all hope and then suddenly somebody or something grows wings and everything turns out Ok. I'm such a sucker for that kind of stuff... Feathery wings can get you out of any trouble.
In general, when a character suffers loss or death I quickly feel miserable, but specifically when Aeris was murdered in Final Fantasy VII I didn't feel sad. I felt angry! Cave Johnson angry. How dare that #### Cutscene Kill my healer? She wasn't the innocent person many people depict her as, but she wasn't a heartless witch either. She was just a messed up woman in a team of messed up people who loved nature while living and working in a city that makes Victorian London look normal.

Chrono Trigger, virtually anything and everything. I swear, that game was half Tear Jerker, half Crowning Moment of Awesome/Heartwarming, and half Cosmic Horror.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
When I played Star Ocean 3.
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
Holy crap, am I the only person who likes Star Ocean 3? It wasn’t a terrible game. Yes the twist was stupid and moronic and is best ignored entirely, but the rest of the game was fine.

What the hell is wrong with you people that you can’t enjoy something because of one bad plot point? It’s just like my friend who won’t watch Fullmetal Alchemist because of that one episode with the little girl and her dog (Anyone who’s watched the show will know what I’m talking about).
I didn't mind Star Ocean 3 but it wasn't as fun as it's predecessors, and I never did get around to completing it - it just got boring after a while. >.<;

I'll see you one Nanami's death (which makes me cry every damn time) and raise you one Gremio's death. Because that shit is sad. Damn you, Suikoden! How dare you make me care about my characters! ;.;

I also always find myself worrying at two points in Suikoden II - the war battle where you try to get dog-man back and the fight against Luca Blight. Goddamn, that fight is hard to win. (And I always aim to win~)

Also, the ending of Lufia II. I know it's coming each time, but somehow I forget and end up crying anyway. :(

Actually, I cry a lot.

FMA - while it has it's sad parts they're pulled off very well, so I don't see why people wouldn't watch it because of them. If you cry or feel upset about it, it means the anime/manga/movie/game is doing it's job in making you care. And that's the mark of a good project.
Chrono Cross, when Serge didn't actually end up with Leena.

... What!?
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
author=masterofmayhem
Holy crap, am I the only person who likes Star Ocean 3? It wasn’t a terrible game. Yes the twist was stupid and moronic and is best ignored entirely, but the rest of the game was fine.

What the hell is wrong with you people that you can’t enjoy something because of one bad plot point? It’s just like my friend who won’t watch Fullmetal Alchemist because of that one episode with the little girl and her dog (Anyone who’s watched the show will know what I’m talking about).

the problem with star ocean 3's twist is that it is so mind-bogglingly awful that it took me out of the game entirely. like, how does someone even make a decision to write that in.

oh, also, it retroactively made claude an mmorpg npc, which paints all of his fourth-wall breaking comments about how he just leveled up in a new light.

also leena is a horrifying psychopath

I'm going to have to say the final climax of Oersted's story in Live-a-Live. Holy god. I have never been so torn apart.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Playing Star Ocean 3, I mean, it's fun and all, but I got bored of the voice acting. Gosh.
Another issue with Star Ocean 3's 'plot twist' is that it ruined Valkyrie Profile as well, since they both existed in the same universe. If you think of it, the transcendent magnitude of the events in VP's storyline were reduced to mere expansion packs in some Nordic themed MMORPG or something. So no, it's not just "one bad plot point", it was a fuck up of epic proportions! -- To this day I'm half-heartedly convinced that Squenix was sabotaging it's cooler franchises in favor of puking more Final Fantasies. xP

Talking about sad moments in video games. It doesn't get any sadder than this... =/
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Pretty much everything after you get the Dual Blade in Lufia and the Fortress of Doom.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
@Alterego - And.. It's a shit game so.

That scary sound and countdown in Sonic underwater parts. That music still haunts me.. *shivers*
Mother 3 all the way. I was totally caught off guard when Hinawa died and I think the last fight was one of the saddest and most powerful things I've ever experienced in a video game.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I don't think I even realized while playing Twilight Princess that I'd stopped thinking of Midna as just the annoying imp following me around giving me terrible tutorials and constantly patronizing me in every way she could think of. I definitely wasn't expecting to care about the characters or story or world in a Nintendo game. But I gradually got very attached to her. And in the game's ending, when she shattered the mirror, something snapped and I think I literally fell to the ground. I would have followed her into the darkness.

It's odd. I'm sure that scene was supposed to be happy. Everyone got to return to their own home and live in safety. Shattering the portal permanently protected Hyrule from ever being invaded by the forces of twilight again. But I didn't care about Hyrule as much as I cared about her.
benos
My mind is full of fuck.
Max Payne 3 when Fabiana died, all Max wanted to do is save everyone!

Well he did get to save two other people before going on a rampage though a airport.
I recently played Bastion and the whole opening of that is pretty damn sad. Especially when it's later revisited in a dream sequence, which is very haunting.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Pages: first 12 next last