LINEARITY IN RPGS?

Pages: 1
Hey all.
I've been working on my game Helmsreach quite a bit lately, and I've already got the basic plot figured out. The premise is that you were once a world famous hero on the cusp of defeating the big bad villain who is threatening to destroy the world, but he drained you of all your power and left you for dead in some remote cave.

I tend to favor games where you can go anywhere and do anything from the start, even if that results in getting your ass kicked because you are a noob. The problem is, in the world of Helmsreach, just about everyone knows who you are, and if they saw you they'd be seriously astonished to know you were alive. This makes it difficult for me to make the game be open from the start and the beginning section of the game will probably end up being fairly linear with a few minor sidequests and hidden areas.

So, basically; what are your opinions on linearity in RPGs? Is it something to be avoided, not bad at all, or even good?
A video game by itself prevents linearity, the only good answer you're going to get is "it depends" do you want to sacrifice all your core mechanics for an expansive world? like, what do you ultimately want? you could just scrap the story and tailor it to allow a bigger area if you really want the open world shit, or you could just roll with what you're going for anyway and still make it enjoyable.

No one is going to look over your shoulder and be like: "heh wow going for the cheap corridor picnics huh"
I can enjoy linear games (if I like the story) but I prefer open games myself. I think you can easily accomplish what you're envisioning. Create switches on certain NPCs that functions as an "awareness" to if they know he is alive or not. Maybe after interacting with one of these certain NPCs allow "word" to travel to just that particular town/settlement that this player character is alive. Obviously have the responses differ whether they are aware or not. (ex. "Plissken? I thought you died!", "I heard you were alive..")
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
As much as I find games like Morrowind and Skyrim fun (textbook examples of non-linear RPGs), I prefer to play RPGs which are for the most part very linear in their design (jRPGs, for example).

The writing tends to come off much more developed in linear RPGs, and I always prefer to have things like memorable characters and amazing stories rather than great gameplay if I had to choose.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I'll be honest. I loved the linearity of FF13. The only part I didn't like as much was Pulse, with all the missions, which I felt messed up what was up until then a brilliantly paced game with a wonderful lack of stupid distractions.

I realize I am basically the only person in the world who feels this way though.

Apparently open world gameplay is all the rage for some reason. I guess players like to feel like they're in control of the story or something? I dunno what the enchantment with it is, really. I find them generally worse-written, and with less compelling goals. Most of what I'm doing just doesn't feel that important - I think the writers actually go out of their way to make sure the optional things don't feel important, so that they really feel optional. And when stuff does feel important, it feels awkward to leave and go do something else.

Also even though I'm a "gameplay guy" I really do like games to tell as good a story as possible, and letting the player control tons of your plot points is just going to diminish that any way you look at it. You can limit the damage that heavy nonlinearity does to your narrative, but you can't prevent it. Not only because they might do things that aren't ideal plot threads, but also because the amount of work you have to do to create each piece of dialogue and make versions of it that are well-written and compelling and relevant to all possible plot scenarios goes up exponentially. (Even typical linear JRPGs can have this problem, to a lesser extent, if they let you backtrack to places you've been before.) However, if you have only a small number of options that the player is given, i.e. if your nonlinearity amounts to a series of multiple choice decisions and there's no real way to go backwards or sequence break, then I've found it can be really interesting to create ten or fifteen different versions of your story.

Ultimately JRPGs and WRPGs are almost like different genres. They share a lot of their combat mechanics, but they're played very differently, and players play them for very different reasons. One is about finding your own path and making choices, and the other is about undergoing a quest and going where it takes you. I think if you are making a sequel to a WRPG, your sequel needs to also be a WRPG. If the only issue is that people would recognize your main character, that's easy to solve - change his appearance. Maybe he wears a helmet to hide his identity, or his face has been burned. (Alternately, write scenarios in all the visitable places to account for visiting when they don't know you're alive. But this gets into the whole "your story suffers because you have to write too many possibilities" thing.)
author=LockeZ
If you have only a small number of options that the player is given, i.e. if your nonlinearity amounts to a series of multiple choice decisions and there's no real way to go backwards or sequence break, then I've found it can be really interesting to create ten or fifteen different versions of your story.

I agree and I think this is what Fallout 3 tries to do.
Your dad's left the vault! Care? or not care?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
From what I played of Fallout 3, the "series of multiple choice options" thing seemed like what they were trying to do up until you leave the vault. You have a specific task in front of you like "get the keycard from the chick" and can choose a few different ways to do that. Then after you do that, you get your next task, and the parameters of your new goal are directly affected by whether you sweet-talked her, knocked her out, stole it, or killed her. But once I got outside, there were a million things I could do, and it was up to me to even find them, much less decide to do them. Am I wrong? Maybe it changes later or I didn't get an accurate picture, but I felt like it was really, really open.

Aside: Part of why I dislike open world games is that I dislike feeling like I have to search and find the gameplay before I can start playing. Yes, I realize the exploration is the gameplay, but that's just how it feels to me.

More specifically when I mentioned multiple-choice options, I was thinking about how Star Fox 64 and Star Fox Command handle their nonlinear plot. You've just escaped from Corneria and are alone! Peppy is retired and Falco hasn't been heard from in two years. Do you want to A) Seek out Kat, B) Seek out Slippy, C) Try to join Team Star Wolf, or D) Fuck those guys and attack the nearest enemy base? And each of those options takes you in a different direction, and I think there are about four such choices before the end of the game. Some of them re-converge, leading to about twenty endings I think. Star Fox 64 works similarly, except the choices are less obvious; some of the alternate routes are taken when you find hidden locations, and others are taken depending on whether you succeed or fail at specific tasks.
author=LockeZ
But once I got outside, there were a million things I could do, and it was up to me to even find them, much less decide to do them. Am I wrong?
You're right. Although some quests are already in your quest log upon exiting the vault (main story quests and the DLC content.) and they can be selected in menu to give you a way-point.

You're given a choice to handle situations differently in most cases but its never enough. Excellent re-play value though.
Melkino
solos collectors on purpose
I've found myself less attached to a game the more nonlinear it is, so much so that I can't really find a reason to explore, or even continue playing the game at all. When, let's say, Oblivion says I can go anywhere I want once I finish the intro dungeon, I'd rather follow the main quest to give some meaning to how I'm spending my time in the game. I tried deviating from the main story once or twice, but I found myself bored pretty quickly. :/

Ideally, I like the semi-linearity of something like Baldur's Gate 2. For example, it gave you a main objective after its first dungeon ("raise 20k gold to rescue your friend!"), but then you can do a number of sidequests in any order to raise that money, complete that objective, and move on with the rest of the story.

Linearity helps me stay interested a game longer because I want to see what happens next in the story. When I can go nearly anywhere and everywhere, I'm like "Why should I care about any of this?"
I've found that there's different kinds of non-linearity and they are good for different things.

There's sandbox non-linearity where you basically create your story as you go along. Simulator games mostly do this. I'm thinking of Crusader Kings 2 (which is strategy-roleplaying) or Dwarf Fortress and similar games. They are completely open and you can do whatever the engine allows you to do.

There's open world non-linearity where you have a quest to follow but there's also so much other things to do in the world that upon entering a new town you're basically assaulted by a bunch of quests that take your mind off the main story. In this you create your own story as well, but following whatever the writers also had in mind. Fallout and Bethesda games probably fall into this.

The difference between open world and sandbox is probably a bit diffuse. But I think that one of the differences is that in an open world there is a storyline written while a sandbox game is more or less "generated".

Then there's multiple choice non-linearity. As an example I mean Mass Effect where the game is essentially linear but with points within the game where you make certain decisions that affects the game world. This is the non-linearity that tends to have the best writing because they combine the focus you can have in a linear game with only a couple of branching points that makes the game a bit more personal for the player. The non-linearity in these games can also take a number of different forms.

Take for example Mass Effect (2) versus Deus Ex (HR). Both of these games are very linear but with choices for the player to make at different points. In Mass Effect these choices come during dialogue scenes where you pick how you react to things and pick who is going to live and who is going to die. In Deus Ex you make these choices as you approach a scenario. You don't pick who is going to live and who is going to die in a dialogue choice instead you pick it by shooting the person who is to die and letting the other go. In Mass Effect these shooting bits are linear corridors while in Deus Ex they are open to various approaches.

Both are non-linear in their storytelling but one is during the story bits and the other is during the "gameplay" bits. (I put gameplay in "" because you could argue that the story bits IS the gameplay in some games like this)

I for one like the stories that the last one gives. They can have stories with twists and turns while still providing an experience where I'm not just playing as someone else's character. That's not to say I don't enjoy the more open games but usually differently. The open games require a bit more investment and once you're in you can't go out until you're done because if you jump in mid-game you'll forget what you were doing (how many of us haven't restarted Fallout or similar games because we played for two weeks then went away for two months and forgot what we were doing?).

For the casual-but-meaningful experience the multiple-choice linearity is pretty good. There's also the bit where you have "mission hubs" where you do your stuff and then move on to the next. Sometimes you can go back (like in Vampire: Bloodlines) and sometimes you can't (like in Human Revolution).

Now personally (personally mind you, this is controversial), I think the multiple-choice linearity is the minimum required non-linearity for a game to be a roleplaying game. If you're just going through someone else's story without being able to make any real decisions the game is not really a roleplaying game anymore. Of course this goes into the old thing of "what is an rpg" and we don't want to go into that at all. But I'm just saying so that you know where I'm coming from and what my definitions are.
LockeZ
I haven't played the games you're classifying as "sandbox" and find your definition hard to understand. Do you mean roguelikes? I.E., every time you play the game, it's randomly generated to be different from last time? Or would that be a fourth category?

When I hear "sandbox" the first game I think of is Grand Theft Auto. Where there are technically things to do, but most players choose to just screw around and do nothing, and the game is designed to encourage that. It's like a toy instead of a game - there's no goal, no challenge, just mechanics. However I guess the term "sandbox" also implies being able to build the game or the world or at least build something yourself, as opposed to having the game designer build it for you. In that sense of the word, certain types of simulation games would be just about the only thing that qualifies.
Well there's sandbox mechanics in a lot of games. Another definition of sandboxing could be that you can screw around in it with no real consequences. (this is slightly different from a simulation sandbox where your choices actually tend to have some kind of consequences. Even if it's just that you removed a mountain in Minecraft) So GTA is actually a very linear game. There's storyline missions that you do and inbetween you can just play around with the engine with no consequences whatsoever.

But there's also not a whole lot of rewards in the GTA sandbox in the end. So in a way the GTA sandbox is similar to the "sandbox" you can find in a Final Fantasy game when you walk around in the overworld beating enemies. You're not doing anything meaningful and anything you do have no consequence, you're basically just dicking around until you get to the next "mission"/dungeon. (and I guess, unlike completely linear experiences, these kinds of sandboxes are defined by infinitely respawning "enemies" (or cars or people to run over))
When I look at FF13 and FF12, part of me feels as though they both go to the extreme of linear gameplay versus non-linear gameplay.

For FF13, people are turned off by this:
It feels way too controlled, and doesn't allow the player to immerse him/herself in the game's universe-
what with them being shackled to the plot like it's a movie.
FF12 fixes this by giving you a lot more control over where you go. The problem is just that- the game becomes a nightmare to balance,
and balance is part of the key to keeping the player hooked.

I feel as though a dev should make his game linear enough to balance and control his/her experience,
without overdosing on non-linear gameplay- thus destroying his/her "perfect balance," and controlled story progression.
Of course, there is a niche audience for Skyrim and FF13 games (Trust me, I'm a huge fan of the Elder Scrolls,)
but if you're going for a very beloved game, I feel as though you must strive for the middle ground.
Clareain_Christopher, basically has it spot on.

Non-linear games have less of a plot due to the nature of non-linearity. The game is paced according to the player. The game is looser in the sense that the player can freely skip around and do things the way he wants.

Whereas in more linear games the developer can specify the experience by putting the player on tracks, like a roller-coaster ride. It goes up and down, the results are more potent in a controlled environment.

This is like trying to mix RPGs and jRPGS. Me, personally, I prefer more linear based game play.
@OP: related to your game: you could always make the hero unrecognizeable? FACIAL DISFIGURING SCARS ARE GREAT
author=Cinderblock
Non-linear games have less of a plot due to the nature of non-linearity. The game is paced according to the player. The game is looser in the sense that the player can freely skip around and do things the way he wants.

Whereas in more linear games the developer can specify the experience by putting the player on tracks, like a roller-coaster ride. It goes up and down, the results are more potent in a controlled environment.

This is like trying to mix RPGs and jRPGS. Me, personally, I prefer more linear based game play.

All of this is is very true but I'd argue that RPGs are not (and should not be) the go-to genre for this kind of experience. There are loads and loads of awesome linear experiences out there. Perfectly paced and crafted stories that don't leave any room for experimentation (except maybe in what gear/abilities you use to deal with a certain encounter, but even there many games provide you with the gear/ability needed just before an event happens).

In theory I personally like the more open games where I can experience a world at my own pace and explore and stuff but in practice I tend to actually play (and more importantly actually finish) the linear experiences because it is a lot easier to just shut off the brain and fight some things in a corridor, while having an immersive storyline pumping in the background.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
Maybe I read over it, but it appears nobody has mentioned FF6 yet.
I personally really like the way linearity was handled in FF6. Before the end of the world the game is fairly linear, giving you a standard rpg storyline "go defeat the evil empire" with little depth. You meet lots of characters, and all are briefly introduced. Then Kefka blows up the world. Suddenly, the game becomes very exploration based. You can go to the final dungeon very quickly, and get your ass kicked majorly. The game forces you to explore to even have a chance of survival, with many miniplots that give background to the characters, rather than being part of the main plot, making the game very full and keeping you going as you wish to learn as much about your characters as possible.

I really love the exploration. By making you search for your lost party members, and giving you espers and magic on the way, the game invites you to find all espers, master all skills, and plainly become the best party ever, capable of defeating Kefka.

Of course, this is all JRPG.
author=LockeZ
I'll be honest. I loved the linearity of FF13. The only part I didn't like as much was Pulse, with all the missions, which I felt messed up what was up until then a brilliantly paced game with a wonderful lack of stupid distractions.

I realize I am basically the only person in the world who feels this way though.

Apparently open world gameplay is all the rage for some reason. I guess players like to feel like they're in control of the story or something? I dunno what the enchantment with it is, really. I find them generally worse-written, and with less compelling goals. Most of what I'm doing just doesn't feel that important - I think the writers actually go out of their way to make sure the optional things don't feel important, so that they really feel optional. And when stuff does feel important, it feels awkward to leave and go do something else.

Also even though I'm a "gameplay guy" I really do like games to tell as good a story as possible, and letting the player control tons of your plot points is just going to diminish that any way you look at it. You can limit the damage that heavy nonlinearity does to your narrative, but you can't prevent it. Not only because they might do things that aren't ideal plot threads, but also because the amount of work you have to do to create each piece of dialogue and make versions of it that are well-written and compelling and relevant to all possible plot scenarios goes up exponentially. (Even typical linear JRPGs can have this problem, to a lesser extent, if they let you backtrack to places you've been before.) However, if you have only a small number of options that the player is given, i.e. if your nonlinearity amounts to a series of multiple choice decisions and there's no real way to go backwards or sequence break, then I've found it can be really interesting to create ten or fifteen different versions of your story.

Ultimately JRPGs and WRPGs are almost like different genres. They share a lot of their combat mechanics, but they're played very differently, and players play them for very different reasons. One is about finding your own path and making choices, and the other is about undergoing a quest and going where it takes you. I think if you are making a sequel to a WRPG, your sequel needs to also be a WRPG. If the only issue is that people would recognize your main character, that's easy to solve - change his appearance. Maybe he wears a helmet to hide his identity, or his face has been burned. (Alternately, write scenarios in all the visitable places to account for visiting when they don't know you're alive. But this gets into the whole "your story suffers because you have to write too many possibilities" thing.)

Nah, I feel the same way about FF13.
Man, I loved that game, VERY underrated, and harshly reviewed as well.
Pages: 1