ENERGY BREAKER TRANSLATION 100% COMPLETE

Pages: 1
Hey, just thought I should point out that this gem is finally fully translated!

Invalid YouTube URLhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=NmzHvQRbo1o

I also made a full blog post on it here, so you might want to check that out. This was before the full translation release though.

Vibrant Sea

I've been waiting for this game to be translated from over 6 years and it's been in translation state for 12 years haha.

Anyways...

Here's where you can pick the translation patch:

http://eb.yuudachi.net/

ENJOY!
sa♥tsu
- Fixed an issue where words that began with "Star" would have Star's name inserted (oops), so if you called Star "Butts", words like "Start" written with an initial cap would display as "Buttst".

I first found EB when Disnequick released the hacking demo and have been waiting for the 1st the 8th today for years. Reading Disnesquick's and Satsu's retrospective in the readme shows what they went through working on this translation for over a decade. I'm going to put aside a day to chew through this as soon as possible!

Here's some more details on the game in case you haven't downloaded it yet:

Disnesquick's Description
Energy Breaker is an isometric strategy RPG developed by Neverland Co. and released by Taito Corporation in 1996. You play as Myra, an amnesiac young woman with a thirst for adventure.

The story begins with Myra being visited in a dream by a mysterious woman calling herself Selphia, only to meet her in real life the next day. On the advice of Selphia, Myra heads to Eltois, the Wind Forest, hoping to catch up with a man who may know about her past. Shortly after arriving at the Wind Forest, Myra joins up with Lenardo, an old scientist who's hunting for the Reincarnation, a legendary flower whose scent is said to have the power to bring the dead back to life...

It also has a nice soundtrack (that is mostly vacant from youtube):

All that's left for the SNES (that I know of) is RS2, 3, and FEoEZ.

e: Fixed a date
I mentioned Chaos Seed and Ys 5... Those are two other games I would liked to see translated. Energy Breaker has a cool soundtrack.

I would also recommend checking out the translation readme, it was a rough ride!
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I'm glad it's out, I've been meaning to give this game a try for a long time. I'd recommend at the very least getting the SPCs of the soundtrack and taking a listen to it there.

http://www.zophar.net/music/spc/energy-breaker.html
Winamp has a plugin to play SPCs if you'd like too.
I am a terrible person who didn't read the blog post :( I had forgotten about Chaos Seed, I haven't heard anything about it for years, and thanks for reminding me. Ys 5 is looking long in the tooth for my tastes but, from my experience with the series, that's how the series goes. The Later games improve upon the originals that make it hard to play the older entries. Shit, iirc the first Ys on NES did combat just by running into enemies. It might still be worth playing just to hear the soundtrack in action though, the Falcom Sound Team always does a bang up job and I'd bet Ys 5 is no exception.

e: Pah to the SPC. I got the OST Sound Legend version and it has a few arrangements and remakes of other tracks (not always better though). I'll upload that and leave it up for download for everybody to get in the Energy Breaker mood and enjoy.
Somethings you might want to know if you're going to play the game. Make sure you interact with the environment around you as you can usually pick up items.

Characters learn abilities based on how you allot points. After you level up you can increase 4 colored bars, allotting these points determine what skill you learn. For instance if you put 3 points in the fire red bar, you'll learn "Shot".

You'll find in game items such as Grimoire that tell you that give you the number setup to learn a move. Grimoire aren't the only item that tell you these though so keep a look out.

One last thing I should say is that battles are v tightly organized. For example, most battles you can straight up lose if you run out of turns. Most battles require you to win in X amount of turns otherwise it's gameover.

Besides this limit, there's also a move limit. Both your movement and attack (or any action you make like healing etc) use the same resource system. The more you move the less turns you have to attack.

One final thing I should mention, Gulliver is an interesting character haha. Use him wisely, actually I made a video that shows how you can use him. This video shows that sometimes you have to outsmart your enemies, the enemy robots take almost no damage from basic attack, old guy's "Shot" ability I learned does 6 damage... and the old guy takes a shit ton of damage if he's hit by the bat.

This is how I ended up beating them instead, by following the conditions. You can actually use pathing in the game to block paths like I did in the video, that's just one example.

One last thing, Enemies won't target the robot. He'll basically never draw aggro as he personally cannot cast any attacks. However, if you learn "Shot" ability (and I assume other moves later down the road)... You can command him by simply learning "Shot" with on the old guy's (Leonardo) turn or the female protagonist's turn (Mayra).

All in all... This game is a lot of fun and is a gem to dive into. I also made another video below that shows the first boss and some additional scenes. Have fun trying things your own way.

author=GreatRedSpirit
e: Pah to the SPC. I got the OST Sound Legend version and it has a few arrangements and remakes of other tracks (not always better though). I'll upload that and leave it up for download for everybody to get in the Energy Breaker mood and enjoy.

http://rpgmaker.net/media/content/users/947/locker/Energy_Breaker_Game_Sound_Legend.rar

I'll leave this up for a few days. If you want the SPC collection you can grab it from SNESMusic.org which puts more effort into tagging and timing the music than Zophar.net.
i have no idea what this is but i immediately want it.

I might be living under a rock when it comes to SRPGs but this is the first I've seen moving environments like this. It'd be cool if like you could target track switches to change the direction of the train car which leads into like a falling rock area or idk just new environment conditions.

Anyway I never take translated stuff for granted, seriously it's cool being able to experience old SNES games for the first time.
You're not living under a rock. Well maybe you are but it's not because of what you noticed. Energy Breaker is like one of the VERY few games where you can explore isometric maps.

Yeah, I agree it feels amazing experiencing a snes game that was made near the end of the console's life for the first time. Each new map is a joy to explore basically, has a lot of charm.
gameplay seems eerily like fft
author=Fugue
gameplay seems eerily like fft

Actually it is quite different than traditional srpgs like fft, give it a try. Battles are faster and involves much less units. Battle field is also smaller in size and you have to complete a battle under certain no of turns. Also, you get Exp for every action skill you use immediately, hence you get to level up during the battle. Magic system or precisely skill system is quite different too. To use a skill you have to satisfy its elemental requirements. There are 4 elements with light & dark for each. Positioning is extremely important since if you attack someone from front, they will always counterattack, also damage will be different depending on the orientation. Rather then using Mana it uses balance points. Every action including movement, using item, changing element distribution will use balance points. There is quite a lot going on, but it isn't very hard game.
In case you're still using v1.0 there's been a few patches including a fix for a potential game breaking bug. Get the latest patch here.
Beat the game over the weekend so I figured I'd give it some thoughts.

The one word I'd use to describe Energy Breaker is unique. It has its own distinctive art style that I haven't seen anywhere else and the gameplay tries a few new ideas to separate itself from other tactical RPGs. Provided you like the art style then the graphics will look great. A lot of work has gone into character animations so they look good and fluid and battle animations look neat too which are also mostly unique to each character. One character casting Tetra Zone looks completely different from another. The locations look alright, some get lots of nice detail but others become bland grey caves. There's some foreground effects that are hit and miss too, especially when the foreground effect needs to be redrawn because something else on the layer came up like dialog and it takes a few frames to redraw the foreground effect. There's some portait graphics too but those just look bad. Character and battle animations are the stars of the graphics. Limitz's casting animation is all kinds of cool.

The music by itself has a range from poor to good tracks (The Future Century Approaching Dusk is a personal favorite) but falters in execution. When you enter an area the area theme plays and keeps playing when you get in fights and there can be some long dungeons and long fights and you start to get sick and tired of the music. Thankfully it isn't Dual Orb 2 and there's actual boss themes which help except when half the bosses are the same guy and most of the boss themes aren't that good or poorly used (the final boss theme).

The writing needs to be separated into the overall narrative and characters. The plot of the game stinks. It doesn't have focus, drive, theme, or memorability. It's a mess that feels like an amateur's work in first draft written as ideas came to mind. I heard it was originally planned so you could choose your main character which fell through so maybe that has to do with it (or because it is video game writing from the 90's).

The characters on the other hand are well done for the time and I enjoyed most of them. The main cast were written with some chemistry and fun interactions. There isn't much character growth or depth though. The Professor (I renamed everybody so I don't remember the original names, a favorite SNES past time) is probably the best of the lot. I wonder how much was in the original game and if Satsu added any during localization (but based on the surrounding movements and animations I'd assume it was there and Satsu localized the humor and such in it).

The gameplay is alright but it has a mean streak of not communicating with the player. It's rare you actually get to explore isometric maps which is a nice change and helps create the unique feel of the game. There are quite a few chests, some with very helpful items, in places you can't access until you find the invisible path to them which is annoying because it becomes a game of checking every wall until you can reach the chest. Each character has a level for each element (standard four) and the light and dark of each element. These didn't seem to do too much except determine what skills you could learn and use (I think it also had an effect on your attack but when I checked this later on in the game it didn't). About 60% through the game you learned all the skills and are just pumping element levels whereever with no gain except the main character learning a skill at near-max. You learn about the skills through books you find in chests that tell you the element levels you need to learn and use the skill but not required to do either. I wasn't sure at first and mixing that with a very limited inventory and missing an item that expands your inventory (thanks invisible paths!) led to some rough inventory times early on. The books, used once, adds them to a permanent list which you can review at any time and takes up no inventory space making them only useful to read once and immediately sell which is needlessly obtuse.

Battles use a new stat called balance which limits your number of actions you can take. The limit is static but the current amount a character gets at the start of the player/enemy phase is determined by their current HP% with enough balance so it can always perform its lowest balance-costing action. This makes the game hugely affected by momentum and who gets to act first (not always you!). All it can take to effectively remove an enemy from battle is to drain enough HP so it can't move and you stay out of its attack range. The same can apply to you though and you can find yourself with a character with low HP who can't do much of anything. Some fights end before the enemy gets their first turn and some seemingly easy fights can turn bad when the enemy gets their turn first and of course your characters start all clumped together. It is a unique spin on a gameplay mechanic but I'm not too fond of it because of issues like that.

There's good diversity in the skills you get including some basic battlefield control with some basic skills that move around enemies. Character balance however is out the window. The main character is a one-woman wrecking crew, the Professor has power, range, and AoE healing, the blond guy does awful damage (but when he kills a new monster he can get a new ability) but learns a wide variety of moves, the little girl dies (any map where the enemy moves first and she's gone), and the swordsman is is a decent hitter and can get the main character places where she can cave in faces without spending the balance getting there. You get EXP through actions too which adds to the momentum feeling of the game. The little girl starts at a low level, has poor HP, and dies often so levelling her up is at best a chore while the main character who can do everything skyrockets through the sheer merit of not being awful. I think by the time I beat the game there was about 20 levels difference between the MC and LG.

I'm glad I got the chance to play this game in English and Disnesquik and Satsu did a great job on it. I think the best I can (very poorly) say about it is it is a good and unique SNES game but that's about it.

e: what a bunch of dumb words
Pages: 1