WHICH STYLE DO YOU PREFER

Pages: 1
Hello everyone!

This question will be about my game. I would like to hear some opinions about two styles of gameplay, to help me decide which one to use. The problem is, that i love each style equally.

My main focus in my game, will be the atmosphere, and the storyline, and exploration. I have these ideas, and i think that both can work out good. I really cannot decide this now...

I will talk about the combat system here, and about the movement system also.

1. The first style will utilize pixel-perfect movement, with keyboard. One will move in the game world, like in most rpg maker games, but in a pixel based fashion. I will also utilize real time combat, like Skyrim, sometimes with companions.

2. The other style is however, tile based. This will utilize gridlocked movement, with mouse (Very similar style to Fallout 1,2, Arcanum etc...), and a turn based combat, with action points.

Basically, both styles can be good, i just dont know which one to use. So i would be more than happy, to hear personal opinions about this ^^
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
I think I would go for number 1.

There are barely any real-time combat games around on RMN.
It would be nice to see one, instead of another turn-based RPG where all you do is mash Attack all the time and read piles of dialogue that consists of "..." and "THIS ETERNAL DARKNESS HAS CONSUMED MY ARCANE PENIS DEVICE..."

Of course, RABBLERABBLERABBLE will ensue because I just said that.
About the second one: You would not be able to mash the attack button, because it will be more like a fallout like combat, instead of final fantasy. Its more like a tactical one, which takes place on the map. ^^
These are such completely different styles that it indicates you haven't even thought about what kind of game you want to make. These have a fundamental effect on the entire game that runs deeper than stylistic preference.
We have storyline, plot, and ideas for both styles. If an npc joins the player, that will happen in both setup.

But the question was, thas which style do "you" prefer.

Like if you see a fallout 1,2 like game and you say " this looks great, i'm gonna try this", " im gonna ignore this because i think its boring "...
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I really liked how Final Fantasy X did it's combat. It basically took the concept of ATB, and removed the waiting between commands. It was fast and, most importantly, fun.

*Edit: On a completely unrelated note, nice HOMM3 avatar, Scaly. I had to look who that was, though, as he is not among the characters of the base series.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I gotta say I strongly dislike RPGs with real-time combat, and even real-time elements in primarily menu-based combat (such as ATB, or trigger actions, or critical hits via timing). That stuff is fine in action games, because in an action game the reason you're playing is for the action. But if I play an RPG, it's because I want to be making tactical choices. And, in an action game, the designers are going to a lot of trouble to make the action itself really inherently fun, but that isn't typically something that happens in RPGs, where the designers' focus is often elsewhere.
I'd say pick the system that will be the easiest and fastest to develop. Releasing the game is more important than its audience's preferences.
Thanks for the feedback!

We decided to implement the tactical style (fallout like combat), currently fits our requirements more ^^.
Pages: 1