KICKSTARTING A CURE FOR CANCER

Pages: first 12 next last
Sailerius
did someone say angels
http://www.indiegogo.com/icancervirus

So, it's Indiegogo and not Kickstarter, but these folks are raising money for a treatment for cancer. Consider passing some spare change their way!
An anti-cancer...virus?

Have you ever seen Stephen King's 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'?
DE
*click to edit*
I can kickstart their faces.
This smells like rotten fish from far away.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Shinan
This smells like rotten fish from far away.

What about it does? The cure has already been developed and there are several scientific papers already written about it.
Invoking a couple of papers all written by the same people doesn't really stop the smell.

I guess they are somewhat legit though they are also... experimental.
£2 million is fuck all, particularly when it's the type of investment that can enshrine your name throughout history as one of the driving forces behind curing cancer. If this were worth throwing money at, they would have an abundance of universities, governments, foundations, trusts, private individuals, etc, all willing to sponsor it.
But instead they're trying to appeal to everybody on the internet (the world's largest demographic), employing emotional taglines like "people before profit". Give me a break. Have we run out of nigerian princesses?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=Dyhalto
£2 million is fuck all, particularly when it's the type of investment that can enshrine your name throughout history as one of the driving forces behind curing cancer. If this were worth throwing money at, they would have an abundance of universities, governments, foundations, trusts, private individuals, etc, all willing to sponsor it.

You didn't read the page, did you?
I don't know man it seems really far fetched. I mean there's already governments and huge organizations that have put money into finding a cure for cancer and while there have been improvements, a cure still isn't available.
author=Sailerius
You didn't read the page, did you?

Yeah, I did, and I'll explain to you what I saw.

The potential therapy, a cancer-busting virus, is currently sitting in a freezer in Sweden – but it can’t be tested for lack of just £2million.

Awww... £2 million... is that all?
I repeat, £2 million is petty change in the macro world, particularly when you consider the amount of money that already goes towards cancer via other fundraisers and donation jars.
But saying "just" £2 million infers that we're almost there, and you can give it the last push by opening your wallet. Less people would donate if it were £10 million.

Without the money, the research will cease and the virus will be thrown away, placing in jeopardy a therapy that could significantly extend the lives of thousands of NET cancer sufferers.

"thrown away"? What? Like, into the garbage can?
This idiotic claim is there to impart a sense of urgency. Act now, think later.

If this anti-cancer virus is so good why has nobody funded it?

Big business won’t stump up the £2million needed to fund the first stage of clinical trials, because there is no money to be made.

"Big business" : Antagonist established. Cue villainous tale of vile capitalist pigs pursuing profit over the greater good.
Forget the existence of universities, governments, foundations, trusts, high net worth private individuals, and other not-for-profit enterprise. Big business says no, so now it's up to the most uninformed, emotionally vulnerable demographic : Everybody on the Internet.

Experts across the world acknowledge that this anti-cancer virus is cutting edge

"Expert" is not quantifiable. Just like how people in TV ads who wear white coats and are covered with stethoscopes and tongue depressorizers and other doctor-type shit are now official doctors, anybody who speaks on a subject can be recognized as an "expert", depending on whose doing the recognizing.

Steve Jobs said: ‘Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful…that's what matters to me.’

Obligatory quote from someone who recently fell victim to the targeted ailment. The more famous and well received that person is, the better. People love to adopt the motifs of their heroes.

It’s just us, the scientists, the virus and you.

Because pitching a well-made case to informed people in the medical/scientific field is hard work.
And you're all just a bunch of derps. Only medial persuasion is necessary.

Now, I don't know if this is an official scam, or a bunch of well-meaning kids being duped by scientists who want to keep their otherwise-defunct jobs.
Either way, if this research were worth half a pinch of salt, there would be no shortage of people in the actual field assisting with fundraising. Online donations would be handled in less of a campaign way, and more of a Donate button on the sidebar way.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=FlyingJester
An anti-cancer...virus?

Have you ever seen Stephen King's 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'?

Personally I was a fan of the people who wanted to use aids to cure cancer.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
screw cancer, kickstart rpgmaker games!
we should kickstart a scam artist school
Sorry, but this article doesn't seem reliable to me. There are a number of inconsistencies in this article.
author=TFT
screw cancer, kickstart rpgmaker games!
This is one of the shadiest kickstarters I have ever seen.
Ark
Wario's-a number one!
Looks like a whole lot of bullshit to me, and I'm the master of bullshit.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
icancer, is that a new app for iphones?

text your cancer away kinda thing?
DE
*click to edit*
iCancer, you Jane. Wanna go out sometime?

iCancer. Go out with style!
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
author=Darken
we should kickstart a scam artist school

Count me in!
Pages: first 12 next last