RM2K3 AND WINDOWS 8

Pages: 1
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Ever since I installed Windows 8 2k3 games have starting lagging a ridiculous amount while in full-screen. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

EDIT: Oh, and VXAce games are lagging too (although not as much). :(
oh man that sucks. Are there new drivers for your videocard available, maybe?
Sailerius
did someone say angels
I can't get 2k3 games to run at all on Windows 8. XP runs like a dream, though. Haven't tried Ace yet.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
So some software that's so outdated that it's worthless isn't compatible with some software that's so experimental that it's worthless

I can think of two ways to solve this problem...
so playing Hero's Realm is worthless now?
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I would suggest seeing if your video card has proper Windows 8 drivers. I have an older series ATI card, and AMD is not providing drivers for them. The default Windows driver was okay but not good for gaming, but I was able to find a workaround eventually.

LockeZ obviously hasn't tried Windows 8 yet. It is pretty much just Windows 7 with a flashy start screen (literally, it just replaces the missing start button) and a lot of under the hood optimization. I find the experimental nature underwhelming.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I've tried it. It's pretty different. The desktop half of it looks a lot like Windows 7, but doesn't actually work like Windows 7 any more. It'll be about a year before the OS is functional. I definitely don't advice anyone to use it as their only computer until at least service pack 1. 99% of the drivers you're using are not designed for Windows 8 right now, and it's going to be quite a while before ATI and Nvidia sort out all the hundreds of thousands of compatibility issues to get everything running totally smoothly (never mind drivers for stuff like high-end sound cards if you're a DJ or something), so you're going to be lucky if it'll run all your software at all, much less at full speed.

author=kentona
so playing Hero's Realm is worthless now?

Oh, I never said anything had changed about Hero's Realm. Cough, cough. Hackack. Vague statement. Cough. Etc.

Though to be fair he said this only affects fullscreen, so just... don't play in fullscreen. I think the F4 key doubles the size of the window without changing it to fullscreen? One of the function keys does it.
author=LockeZ
I think the F4 key doubles the size of the window without changing it to fullscreen? One of the function keys does it.

F5. But it defaults to the larger window size in most cases, so there is probably no need to press F5.

If playing in windowed mode, reduce your screen resolution to the smallest size possible to make the window look as big as possible.

Change is bad.
author=Link_2112
Change is bad.
I live by this..lol, still have first generations of the current gaming consoles. (No ps3, n3ds, vita, wii) Anyway, let's just stick with Windows 7, or Vista for now~
LockeZ
Don't use Vista :C

If you have a 32-bit processor, Windows XP is the best operating system you can use. If you have a 64-bit processor, Windows 7 is the best. Windows 8 doesn't currently do anything better than Windows 7 unless you have a touchscreen (and even that's kind of a matter of opinion), but a few years from now, new software is probably going to stop being compatible with pre-windows-8 operating systems. So you're gonna have to eventually upgrade if you want to play Batman: Arkham World or Left 4 Dead 3. But that's a long way off, hopefully...
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
A couple days back I updated my video card drivers to Windows-8 compatible ones..unfortunately I'm guessing since it's an older card there are still going to be playback issues, and because it's so old AMD've announced they're abandoning the series. Sucks. Ah well.

And yeah, Windows 8 is basically 7 with tiles on-top. You can access the familiar desktop pretty easily, so I don't know why anyone who can't spare like, a single second for each session has a problem with it..outside of compatibility issues like this, possibly.
2k3 games look awful in fullscreen anyway. Just go smallscreen. Dunno what to do about the VXAce problem though, that could be bad.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I'm really thinking of upgrading to Windows 8 because it uses less memory & would allow me to use my laptop as an output for my Xbox. My TV decided to fuck out a few days before Halo 4.. :(

So to clarify they programs still work with Windows 8, not just playing them but like using the maker in Windows 8?
I've used windows 8. Memory usage and overall speed is almost identical to 7.

Also, FS journalling is still out to lunch. There aren't really any technical reasons I've seen yet to switch.
The boot time for Windows 8 was remarkably fast on my cheapo laptop. I was quite impressed.

So far I am liking Windows 8.

EDIT:
I had to update my video drivers from AMD to the new Catalyst drivers for ATI 4000 series (or somesuch).
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Sooo does Rm2k/3 work or?
Pages: 1