CONVERTING TO AND USING RPG MAKER VX

Pages: 1
So, I've been using RPG maker 2003 for years now. It had the style and DBS that I just loved (I'm a sucker for the GBA final fantasies o3o). I noticed the recent topic "The end of Rm2k3?" and realized just how outdated the program is. I figured I'd get a bit more up to date and purchase rmxv (60$ seems more reasonable for something I'm going to use casually as opposed to 90$. I'm an extremely frugal person >_>) In the end it seems more beneficial graphically and I'll have more flexibility altering the battle system. I've been looking into the pros and cons of the maker and I found out that you're limited to a single set of tiles for your whole project, and there's a limit as to how many tiles/autotiles you can import to the maker. Doing a little more research, I came across SwapXT which allows you to implement a tile swapping feature that swaps out tiles to specific maps when you enter them and as well as passability settings for different tiles. Is this a good alternative as opposed to purchasing VXace or XP or even just sticking with 2k3 'till the bitter end, in order to eliminate the tileset limits?

I'm also curious to know how "noob friendly" the rgss is. The project I have in mind uses a few custom menus as well as the third layout type of rm2k3's DBS (Face icons at the bottom with the HP, MP and TP bars stacked on top of each other beside the face.) along with visible and animated battlechars. Also, would scripting battle system layouts and UI affect how attacks and enemies are set up?

All help is appreciated :)
Hello,

I have used RMXP for a few years now and did not switch to VX because the graphics seem squarish. I have decided to switch to VX Ace because I heard Windows will not be offering support for XP after 2014. XP is getting less script support from what I seen as people move to the VXs.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
XP vs. VX? OK bro, here's the quick rundown

RPG Maker XP
- Half the cost of VX ($30 instead of $60)
- Infinitely large tilesets (VX's are a set size)
- Infinite number of tilesets (VX only gets five for the whole game, though you can use scripts to kinda get around this)
- Three layers on maps (VX has two layers)
- Atoa Custom Battle System (VX does not have as good of a script for Chrono Trigger style battles on the field map)
- Better RTP tilesets and charsets (I'm sure you've seen the difference)
- Any other specific scripts you want for your game that people might have only coded on XP (there are a lot of XP scripts out there)

RPG Maker VX
- Allows you to use tons of autotiles (XP only allows six autotiles per tileset)
- More event commands (XP is missing several, like showing battle animations on the field map, changing how map transitions look, creating scrolling panorama backdrops, etc., so you are forced to use scripts for these features)
- Script noteboxes in the database let you more easily script certain types of new effects for things in the database (XP doesn't have this feature, it's hard to explain but it speeds up scripting a little)
- Tankentai Battle System and Yanfly Melody Battle System (XP's customizable battle system scripts can be buggy sometimes, while VX's work more or less perfectly)
- Any other specific scripts you want for your game that people might have only coded on VX (there are a lot of VX scripts out there)

WARNING: OPINION. I personally think that VX isn't necessarily better than XP, so it seems silly to pay $30 more for it. I also think that the event commands that are missing from XP will be very easy to work around for someone who's spent most of the last decade working around much bigger limitations in 2K3. But you can get around the mapping limitations in VX also. So it depends if mapping or eventing is more important to you, I guess.

author=newskies
I have used RMXP for a few years now and did not switch to VX because the graphics seem squarish. I have decided to switch to VX Ace because I heard Windows will not be offering support for XP after 2014.
...you are extremely confused.
author=newskies
I have used RMXP for a few years now and did not switch to VX because the graphics seem squarish. I have decided to switch to VX Ace because I heard Windows will not be offering support for XP after 2014.
So..you didn't switch to VX because the tiles are squarish, yet you're switching to VX Ace, which does the exact same thing with tiles? :3

author=LockeZ
...You are extremely confused.
I would recommend picking up VX Ace Lite. Its an "extended demo" of sorts for VX Ace. I've only used VX Ace so I can't tell you specifically what the differences are between Ace and standard VX, but trying out VX Ace Lite for a bit might give you a better idea of what VX would be like in general. Might help you decide.
author=Sana
author=newskies
So..you didn't switch to VX because the tiles are squarish, yet you're switching to VX Ace, which does the exact same thing with tiles? :3

author=LockeZ
...You are extremely confused.

Ah, sorry. As clarification which I forgot to put:

I didn't decide to switch to VX at the time of its release because I thought everything was squarish. I decided to switch to VX Ace because I finally saw VX problem can be remedied by scripts as one of the top posts said. I ultimately switched to VX Ace because it's the newest and will possibly be supported for a longer while.
I might tinker around with RMXP some more before I make the decision. I've actually purchased it back in '07 but I stopped using it for a bit a year after. Went back to it once and found the serial number I received with the purchase didn't work anymore, so I kind of just left it alone. Maybe I should contact their support and try and recover the key.
All of this sudden paranoia that Windows won't support any RPG Maker before VX sounds like a wild rumor being fueled by nothing more than nonsense. RM95 is still being supported one way or another, so I doubt we'll lose sudden support for other makers. There may need to be upgrades and patches to work on newer systems but that shouldn't be too much of a problem because:

1. For the non-legal makers (ie., 2K/3), somebody will probably figure out a patch or plug-in.
2. For the legal makers (such as RMXP), EB will probably just need to update the software. Chances are you'll need to backup your work and re-download the program again, but I really doubt we are seeing the end.
3. If old NES titles can be played on existing computers, I'm sure somebody will find a way for old RPG Makers to be played.
^ This guy speaks wisdom.
Just use what you're comfortable with. You aren't going to wake up one day and find that nobody can play your game anymore.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=amerkevicius
All of this sudden paranoia that Windows won't support any RPG Maker before VX sounds like a wild rumor being fueled by nothing more than nonsense.

It's not a bunch of sudden paranoia, it's just one guy in this thread who doesn't understand that RPG Maker XP and Windows XP aren't the same thing
Well it isn't so much paranoia over the compatibility, but also paranoia about the legality. xP I think I'd feel more comfortable using a legal maker. Plus no colour depth limitations and added effects is always a nifty plus, and I can have more control over UI layouts in battle.
LockeZ
Everything is legal to use unless you steal it
Oh man, RPG Maker VXACE is 70$ right now, you could've gotten that one instead ;u;
When did it become 70$? Is it like a sale they're having? Or is it permanent? o.o
author=LockeZ
author=amerkevicius
All of this sudden paranoia that Windows won't support any RPG Maker before VX sounds like a wild rumor being fueled by nothing more than nonsense.
It's not a bunch of sudden paranoia, it's just one guy in this thread who doesn't understand that RPG Maker XP and Windows XP aren't the same thing

That too.
Pages: 1