PIER SOLAR - A MEGA DRIVE/GENESIS GAME RELEASED IN 2010

Pages: 1
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
So I saw this article on Gamespot: Here

About a game called "Pier Solar and the Great Architects". It's a 2D RPG, and well, we've seen that before, right? Except this game was released in 2010 (not a typo) for the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis!

WaterMelon Co. is apparently a group of 2D RPG and Sega Mega Drive/Genesis fans, they used to hang around at Eidolon's Inn (website) and one day decided to make a game, it took them 8 years but they eventually finished it and made physical copies of the games:

I don't know if someone had already mentioned this game around here, I failed to find a forum search :/

Anyway, I find it awesome that a game for a (supposedly) dead system is still released after almost 13 years.

I don't own a Mega Drive/Genesis (I'd buy one if I did!) but the game looks great!

They currently have a kickstarter (here in case your curious) to release "Pier Solar HD" for Xbox360, PC, Mac, Linux and Dreamcast (!).

I personally don't like the HD graphics as much as the 16bit Pixelated ones.

But hey, good for them!

8 years and a game is born, I speak for myself when I say this (and some people probably agree with me), I believe I still haven't finished a game because I lack serious commitment, knowledge and a team.

These guys have that! It took time, but everyone can see the results now.

In a strong team each element is able to work with each other, a strong team releases finished games for dead systems :p

Here's their website: Here
It looks like the team were greatly inspired by Lunar. It looks good graphically although the HUDs and text boxes and such could have used a lot more work.
The music quality seems much better than what you'd typically hear in other MegaDrive games.
There doesn't seem to be anything original or appealing as far the gameplay and storyline go, which is a pity considering they've been working on it for so long. Releasing it for mobile phones would have been much more profitable.
I personally wouldn't invest $69 USD in this. Still, good job for pulling this out.
Ah yes a niche average product being sold on dead hardware. Truly what everyone in the RPG Maker community strives for.

But more seriously this makes me think about the SNES fetish where if anyone happened to play the same RPGs as you as kid, they were the "in" and had access to a higher understanding of the universe or something. I've gladly grown out of that phase. I'm wondering how those devs changed after the project was done, was there enough relief?

One thing I (strangely) like about the game is how amateurish and disgusting the colors are. It's some kind of collage of sprite work that's thrown and mixed together. This is something that doesn't come from nostalgia or notes from a 1998 squaresoft round table. It's very incidental. Also the art director on that kickstarter video is rad as fuck.
author=Darken
Ah yes a niche average product being sold on dead hardware. Truly what everyone in the RPG Maker community strives for.

But more seriously this makes me think about the SNES fetish where if anyone happened to play the same RPGs as you as kid, they were the "in" and had access to a higher understanding of the universe or something. I've gladly grown out of that phase. I'm wondering how those devs changed after the project was done, was there enough relief?

One thing I (strangely) like about the game is how amateurish and disgusting the colors are. It's some kind of collage of sprite work that's thrown and mixed together. This is something that doesn't come from nostalgia or notes from a 1998 squaresoft round table. It's very incidental. Also the art director on that kickstarter video is rad as fuck.

Lol, this is basically how I feel about that game. I respect the developers for doing what they want and according to their own words (dev comment on eurogamer), they still sold thousands of prints for the megadrive. The retail version of the game was always quite expensive and after the prints disappeared... A lot of people on ebay were selling the original game for over $200.

I mean, you have to truly love a console to go out of your way to release a game for it 15 years later. I respect them for that and even I was looking for a copy of the game awhile back despite not having a console to play it on. Oh, I also agree that the art director is something else haha. I thought the original graphics were cool despite the amateur look of it, it still looked charming!

They've been working on that title for a long time. It's great to actually see them succeed. Square Enix has been cashing in on "nostalgia" for YEARS! I mean they just recently released Chrono Trigger for IOS ffs. There is a clear market for classic rpgs and retro games in general. It wouldn't even be that hard for even an average size studio to shell out 2d games but... I don't know anymore.

I'm glad they posted their game on Kickstarter because I would like to at least try it on PC. I heard the game wasn't even that good lmao but I'd still play it.

P.S: For those who don't like the HD graphics (myself included), there will be a secret item in the game that will unlock the original megadrive version. Unfortunately, I find the HD graphics to be unappealing and the fact that they didn't adjust the sprites sealed the deal for me.
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Looks like a more colorful Genesis version of Treasure of Rudras to me.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
This looks nothing like Rudras? At all?

I threw some money at the kickstarter, hoping to see this on PC.
I hate how Genesis games always look really grainy. I wish these guys had fallen in love with the SNES instead.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
I'd fund them but they're not going on PS3, so whatever.
(I wouldn't fund them.)
author=UPRC
I hate how Genesis games always look really grainy. I wish these guys had fallen in love with the SNES instead.

nah im good kFF KAKK genesis was the cool kid in the corner who came from a neighboring country. It didn't use close to real instruments and had a limited library of games uh books yeah books but it had character. Partly due to limitations language bar-okay fuck this metaphor. SEGA RENEGADE CULTURE was also a factor. It's no wonder dreamcast was over glorified (every game that was on is ported by now) but segadom will never be forgotten. both systems were cool tho.

Okay back to being a responsible and present minded human being now.
Pages: 1