[POLL] DEATH NOTE - WAS LIGHT YAGAMI RIGHT?

Poll

Was Light Yagami's perfect world right? - Results

Of course it was!
7%
In some ways....
33%
No, it wasn't.
58%

Pages: first 12 next last
I've recently finished the Death Note series, and it really made me wonder if Light Yagami was right in trying to create a perfect world. Was he just a crazy mass murderer, or was he really rightious?

So, here's a random poll for you guys.
Seriously? He wasn't tried to create a perfect world, he've tried to create his own world. Ultimate power - that's the only thing he cared about.
Also there is no such thing as perfect world. Perfection is relative. The only possible world without killing is world without living creatures with free will. I see no perfection in this.
if perfection is relative then it is possible to have a perfect world if the persons beliefs support it. relative to them, it's perfection.

what's impossible is to get everyone to have the same beliefs and for them to never change.
It doesn't matter to me if the guy wants to create a world for himself and rule us. If this is the price to pay for a world devoid of crime, hate, pain, sadness, etc. then I gladly accept the deal. I'd also take his place in a heartbeat.

Light did become power-hungry after a while, strayed from his initial plan to create such a world and made mistakes because of his pride, and that is why he could finally be considered an evil guy without a doubt. But in the beginning, despite the mean being questionable, the objective was 100% righteous and altruistic.
That's why I enjoyed Death Note. It offered a different perspective on a matter that we often consider to be dichotomous and absolute.

I was pissed off when I reached the ending :)
I think a big part of why he failed is cause of Misa. if he wasn't forced to save her, he could have made more solid plans or stuck to his original plans. she gave away bits of info about the death notes/gods, too.

L was damn good though. some of what he did was because L got close and he had to protect himself. I would have liked the battle to be more about them 2 alone.
No, Light was a simply an immature high school teenager trying to create his own selfish world. He was smart, but he was also crazy while thinking he could become god and rule the world with his tyranny methods.

If there were no criminals, those in the army and police would be out of jobs and that 's another issue. Thus, without criminals and wars, we wouldn't have shooting games being made. :P
author=Mr_Detective
If there were no criminals, those in the army and police would be out of jobs

o.O really? so having crime is a good thing?

they would be out of jobs that require them to kill and do dangerous things. instead they could do something more constructive for society. but then we'd all be hippies and when aliens invade we'd be helpless. I saw it on the simpsons.
I never trust on him, he killed people "because", you know the reason, but he seems to do it because he enjoyed to kill more than creating a perfect world (somehow I find many flaws on his way to think that even contradict his way of thinking, although, I agree that you need that kind of personality to do this kind of series, similar case with Haruhi, I don't like her too much, but she was a character that fullfill the purpose of the story)

But either way I loved the fist episodes and if they had keep it in that way it would be one of my favorites, but after Misa takes part of the series all goes downhill, and later with L it really has nothing more to show so I drop it after some episodes with M and N so it's considered as one of my worst anime and I became a Hater trying to defend my opinion just for fun against this overrated serie muahahaha.

I choose No, it wasn't btw
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
My sole exposure to Death Note was the one Mafia game we did way-back-when. So, I have no clue what his vision was?
author=Marrend
My sole exposure to Death Note was the one Mafia game we did way-back-when. So, I have no clue what his vision was?

kill only criminals so that nobody would dare commit crimes.
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
author=Mirrormasq
Seriously? He wasn't tried to create a perfect world, he've tried to create his own world. Ultimate power - that's the only thing he cared about.

For the most part, I agree with that, also I'm not exactly for the death penalty...
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Absolutely not. As much as it was his idea to eliminate crime - crime is relative. What if he decided all soldiers should be killed? What if he didn't like bananas and thought banana eaters should be killed?

As silly as that sounds, Light was bent mentally by the end of the series. It wouldn't surprise me and I would never want to put that much power in the hands of any one person.

Unless that person was me, obviously... and even I'm not that responsible :P
Like a lot of you already said, it's very subjective (right word to use?) to your opinion, personally I think his goal, at least initially was good, but his means were a tad messed up. That said I'm all for using the death note for criminals who commit murder or rape or other violent crimes, but petty crimes shouldn't be so harsh, an eye for an eye almost and I think I'm going off on a tangent here.
He's a "The end justifies the means" guy.
Dudesoft
always a dudesoft, never a soft dude.
Needs to be a poll option for "This is stupid" or "I don't know what this poll is about." at all times, people!
Perfection is accordance to the oberver's taste and reality. For example, the world that I think of a perfect world (Complete oppression and Resistance in a constant cycle) is not what most people call a perfect world for themselves, for their reality and tastes are exclusive to them personally.
I enjoyed Death Note in a way where I thought the idea of a perfect world was interesting, but I also saw Light Yagami as a bit childish to assume that just simple fear could create a perfect world; You need something a little more to knock people in line then just a unseen force killing people that do not fit his description of a fellow citizen. Still, it was a good read and at the end he was a complete villain, even if I was on his side for majority of the story.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
author=Avee
Light did become power-hungry after a while, strayed from his initial plan to create such a world and made mistakes because of his pride, and that is why he could finally be considered an evil guy without a doubt. But in the beginning, despite the mean being questionable, the objective was 100% righteous and altruistic.

He was power-hungry from the start. He said he'd become the New World God in episode 1. He was an evil guy all the way though the anime. He didn't want to create a righteous world, he was just bored, because he exceeded in everything without any effort whatsoever (Likely also the reason he thought he could become god in the first place). You don't just become a psychotic supervillain all of a sudden. It was inside of him from the very beginning and presented itself through the Death Note. When the opportunity came for him to become an evil mastermind dictator, he jumped on it like a hungry hyena. There was nothing altruistic in his goals. Not a single thing.
Perfection to me is realizing perfection is impossible. The closest thing to a human achieving perfection is realizing it can't be achieved but you can only better yourself mentally, physically and spiritually to be the best or perfect at what you do. I think Light was clearly a narcissist triggered into a sociopath which he wasn't originally. He became power hungry which so many people do so when they get a taste of it.
If it was me I would keep the book hidden and a secret. The only time I would ever use it is if I had no choice like I was pursued by the Mafia or something and decided to eliminate all their leaders. Light was clearly the smartest character in the game and most threatening. The only reason he failed was because he was against too many intellectuals like himself. He was the ultimate intellectual within the narrative and only L could rival him but in his position he had too many complications.
I do not believe Light to be a righteous individual, but I do agree with him about rotten people needing eliminated. But I don't like the way he went about it. I felt Light should have taken care of real villains: dictators, mass murders in foreign governments, people who pay big money to poach endangered animals, people who knowingly pollute the environment for profits, crazy religious leaders the kind of people who think it is okay to kidnap and have sex with minors, and force them to have children, or the heads of religions that think its okay to oppress women and then honour kill them if they get raped, and lets not forget heads of major corporations that use child slave workers overseas to make a profit. Drug cartels, human traffickers, mafia etc.. Put Bush and Cheney on that list for war crimes too!

If Light had done this the world would have become a better place, because the people with power would finally have someone to answer to for their crimes. The people around the world would have loved him as well. Think about it, Kira kills Hitler or Kira saves the women of Afghanistan from being beheaded by Sharia law. People would be able to protect the environment from companies like Enron, we could advance green technology to the point where we have whole nations with clean sustainable power. Think about all the good people who have tried to make the world a better place for all what they could accomplish if greedy heartless individuals were wiped off the planet.

He did kill criminals like rapist, murders, and killers but these seem like small frys to me and most of these kind of people are the results of bad circumstances due to oppression by the government. Like in Indian, couples to prefer to have male children instead of female children, and they want people not to have sex outside marriage. This leads to a their society having more men than women, and these males are frustrated because they can not have sex openly. If they do they are look down upon. So crimes like rape rise. Or for instance poor people who steal food just to eat. In my opinion are not thieves, they are just trying to survive bad economical times due to the government's abuse.

( My opinion on rape is you serve 10 years in jail or more depending on severity of your crime, then when you are free for the next 10 years of your life the government deducts a percentage from your pay for damages done to the victim. Murders; if its a crime of passion then life in prison with the possibly of parole after 25 years. If its planned life in prison or death penalty.)
Pages: first 12 next last