FORUM TOPIC SUBSCRIPTIONS

Pages: 1
So, I've been working on subscriptions for forums topics and I had a few questions about how you would like it to be implemented.

What I have so far:
  • When you create a topic, you are automatically subscribed
  • When you post in a topic, you are automatically subscribed
  • You never receive notices for posts that you make

There will, of course, be settings for turning these things off. What I wanted to know is:

• Do you want these to be on by default, or do you want to have to turn them on?
  • Do you want to be able to control whether or not you subscribe to a topic when you are creating it?
  • Do you want to be able to subscribe to topics without posting in them?

1) hrmmm... I am cool either way. I would like to be auto-subscribed for any topics I create. For topics I post in... hrmmm. Either way is fine for me. I will probably turn it on myself, but I don't know what would be best for default settings.

2) I don't need that feature, as I would always want to know.

3) yes.

Can I delete subscriptions to topics later?
I think when you create a topic it should be automatically on. However any other topic you should subscribe to manually, since I doubt it's going to take that much effort to click a button. However it would be somewhat annoying if you post just once in a random topic and completely forget to unsubscribe, because while I don't personally post all that much, people like chana will be overloaded with notices, especially if they don't visit for a day or two, and that topic is very popular.

Maybe once you reach a certain threshold of posts in one topic, it automatically subscribes since you are obviously interested in it, despite not clicking to subscribe. I don’t know if that’s a good idea though!

You definitely should be able to subscribe to any topic, whether you post in it or not.
There's a lot of unnecessary details you're going into here. All you really need is a Subscribe/unsubscribe button on each thread. We'll handle the rest.
Overthinking things is our raison d'etre
Very cool feature for those who would use it, but I doubt I'll feel the need to.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I would honestly be okay with just a sub/unsub button on each thread. Maybe auto-subscribe to any thread you make.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I can only speak for myself here, but I would want to be subscribed to any thread that I started. Otherwise, setting up thread subscriptions on a case-by-case basis seems to be the best move.
I for one am glad to see these little questions asked before-hand. thank you, ankylo. there's no harm in asking the people interested what they want. that way you avoid any possible griping afterwards.

I would prefer

When you create a topic, you are automatically subscribed

When you post in a topic, you are NOT automatically subscribed
but there is a checkbox to subscribe

You never receive notices for posts that you make
can you do this for standard notices? it seems pointless.

as long as there is a setting I'm not too concerned about the defaults, but I would suggest

on by default
so that anyone not aware of the feature will see that it exists. then they can shut if off if they don't want it. although if there is a checkbox for subscribe on each post it would be there to figure out.

Do you want to be able to control whether or not you subscribe to a topic when you are creating it?
if it's not too much trouble, I'd say add it. I wouldn't need it as I would want them all subscribed. it would be rare to ever turn off notifications on my own topic.

Do you want to be able to subscribe to topics without posting in them?
hmm, I would say yes. if it's easy to implement, do it. there have been times I would follow a topic that I had no interest posting in.

author=kentona
Can I delete subscriptions to topics later?
is it possible, right now, to unsubscribe to articles that you've posted in? could you adopt a similar system to those as well?

looking forward to this feature
KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I personally prefer subscriptions to be Off by default, usually I don't even notice I'm subscribed and suddenly I get random notifications/emails out of the blue.

Also this:
author=Dyhalto
There's a lot of unnecessary details you're going into here. All you really need is a Subscribe/unsubscribe button on each thread. We'll handle the rest.
Ok. Here is what I have now:

• Everything is off by default (Subscribing to topics you create and post in)
  • When you create a topic, you can choose to subscribe to it. If you have turned on the setting for automatically subscribing to topics you create, this box will be checked for you (and you can uncheck it if you don't want to subscribe to a particular topic you are creating).
  • There is a Subscribe/Unsubcribe button at the bottom of each topic.
  • You can manage (delete) your topic subscriptions in the same way you can currently manage your game/event subscriptions.

The reply form is actually built for everything you can post on, so there is not a checkbox / option to subscribe to a forum topic while you are submitting a reply. If I can think of a good way to do this, I might put it in.
Not exactly a subscription, but is it possible to get noticed when you are replied to via the quote tag?
author=Jude
Not exactly a subscription, but is it possible to get noticed when you are replied to via the quote tag?

hmm, it is probably possible, but would be rather difficult. I will think about ways this can be done and if I can do it, sure, why not!
author=ankylo
author=Jude
hmm, it is probably possible, but would be rather difficult. I will think about ways this can be done and if I can do it, sure, why not!

In my brain it would be called when a post is submitted, checks for 'auther=user' and matches it against the user database. Is there some obstacle I'm not considering?
when people change the user part. or type the quote tags without the author part. sometimes there are multiple authors. not really an obstacle, but it won't always work if that's the trigger. it would be better than nothing, though.
import re
author_regex = re.compile("\[quote author\=\w+\]")
re_user_chars = re.compile(r"[[{}\(\)\^$&.%#!@=<>:;,~`'\’\*\?\/\+\|\[\\\\]|\]|")
authors = author_regex.findall(string)
username = re_user_chars.sub('', authors[0].split('=')[1])

Not super pretty, but this would be able to find the first instance of
[quote author={username}]
and pull out the username. I suppose it would work...
Pages: 1