KEEPING COLOR FROM MS PAINT TO IDRAW 3

Pages: first 12 next last
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
Whenever I copy and paste from MS paint to Idraw, it looses color because it won't override the pallette. How do I get it to do so?
Blobofgoo
I figured it out. You have to save the png as a bmp. Then you have to open up a palette from the bmp. You now have a new palette that supports the image.
Sounds like one of the two doesn't have a proper PNG implementation.
You have to save the file as either bmp or png. If you're talking cut/paste, then you need to make sure that both have the same palette. It'd probably be best to grab one of the better free programs instead of Paint, though, because... well, it's Paint.
author=FlyingJester
Sounds like one of the two doesn't have a proper PNG implementation.

Nah. It's that iDraw3 only supports 8-bit color depth, so he was pasting into an image with a different palette. The same thing would happen in any editor if he were pasting into a image that already had an indexed palette. The difference is nobody ever actually works with an indexed palette--they have that palette indexed upon saving or in a color reduction function.

So iDraw3 is working as intended, it just isn't very capable software. It only became popular because it was circulated with RPG Maker almost 13 years ago. Fun fact: Every file in RM2k's RTP uses the same 256 colors even if those colors aren't being used in that specific sprite sheet or tile set, and this palette is the default one in iDraw3.

I'm not sure why he needs to use his workaround, though. If the image he wants to edit is already saved with an 8-bit palette, merely opening that file will load its associated palette into iDraw3. No need to load the palette separately.

Like NewBlack suggested, you should use a different image editor. GraphicsGale is a good recommendation.
Blobofgoo
I cant open certain files. I'm not really sure why. I get a weird message because that wasn't translated from japanese. It's really weird because I can open 1 of 3 that are nearly identical except color.
author=Blobofgoo
I cant open certain files. I'm not really sure why. I get a weird message because that wasn't translated from japanese. It's really weird because I can open 1 of 3 that are nearly identical except color.

Are you trying to open files with a color depth higher than 8-bit?
author=Jude
author=Blobofgoo

yep, no doubt. to get around that I use Ifranview to reduce the color depth. it does a good job at that.
Blobofgoo
author=Jude
author=Blobofgoo

???

I can only open the blue one.
author=Blobofgoo
I can only open the blue one.

This is because the blue one is the only one with an 8-bit indexed palette. You are opening a file with an unsupported color depth.
Blobofgoo
Why would only the blue one be 8-bit?
Blobofgoo
Why would only the blue one be 8-bit? Cannot I not do anything?
author=Blobofgoo
Why would only the blue one be 8-bit? Cannot I not do anything?

Because that is the only image that the file's creator saved as an image with 8-bit color depth. You can do something: Use different software that allows you to change color depth.
Blobofgoo
Do you know of any alternatives to infranview and graphicsgale. They both don't work on my computer.
author=Blobofgoo
Do you know of any alternatives to infranview and graphicsgale. They both don't work on my computer.

Are you using a toaster or something?
iddalai
RPG Maker 2k/2k3 for life, baby!!
You can even use gimp to change the colour depth, it's free.

Image>Mode>Indexed

Dunno if it will work on your computer. Also, you don't need to copy/paste into iDraw, you can copy/Create from clipboard. iDraw is only able to handle 256 colours maximum. And it seems to have some issues with windows xp and up, I can't save or open PNGs with it.
iDraw3 appears to work for me on Win7 64-bit.
Gimp works on everything, ever. Even a dead possum. And lets you do everything, ever. Even set the color channel endianness. Maybe even of a dead possum.
Pages: first 12 next last