BARKLEY 2 KICKSTARTER

Pages: first 1234 next last
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...

Barkley 2 Kickstarter

Hey dudes. I was considering posting this on my RMN blog, but I think this has more traffic so, yeah Barkley 2 is running a Kickstarter. I don't want to say too much, but anyone from GW knows most of these dudes like Chef, Konix, Bort, Frankie, etc. This game concept originated from an RM community.

Game looks really really good. A lot of people on RMN kind of miss games for whatever reason. Plus I want to spread the word. There is a lot of great content on the Kickstarter so far, so don't take much from this post, it's just a small bit.

To put a different perspective on this. It's an example of community and dev growth. Barkley 1 started out in Rpgmaker2003. It went from GM, game was released and here we have the second game. It looks really good. Rm is a good stepping stone, only limited to your creativity.

I'm very happy for these guys, because they put the work in, they aren't trying to steal money from people, and they're creating something unique. This is an example of Kickstarter being used for good. So if you know people, or want to support the game the link is there for you guys. WAT DEW.

Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
ew

sorry i am not "cool" enough to understand what there is to appreciate about the first game or its creators (who were mostly assholes in my many-year GW experience). i was not impressed with the original; it was all inside jokes/circle-jerking with bizarre neo-post-avant-modgarde dadagagaorig themes.

also it's "fucked-up world" not "fucked up world"
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
the humor is pretty universally understandable, as evidenced by the widespread popularity of the game
To be honest, I'm quite glad to see that another Barkley game is being made, and from what I saw in the KS video, I must say I like what I see at this point.
I have never played the original but this new one looks pretty cool.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
I remember the first one had the funny save points that rambled at you. The combat was kinda neat but it didn't really suck me in, so I never finished it.
Too much jargon and not enough information on where the money is going. $35,000 is very excessive for a game made in gamemaker. Don't get me wrong, it does look awesome but I'll wait for a few updates before deciding to back it or not.
author=StarSkipping
Too much jargon and not enough information on where the money is going. $35,000 is very excessive for a game made in gamemaker. Don't get me wrong, it does look awesome but I'll wait for a few updates before deciding to back it or not.

I second the sentiment that 35K is asking too much. Maybe it's how much you project the game actually costing, but I follow Kickstarter avidly and can tell you that a lot of people are going to scoff at that price tag, especially when it's attached to an engine like Gamemaker, which carries (unfairly) a bit of an amateur stigma. I actually helped a friend with his Kickstarter and while it managed to raise more than 40K, it was close. You really need to look at your project and ask if there are any ways you could stretch resources to keep costs down, because the less you ask for the more inclined many will be to give.
game maker itself totally deserves that amateur stigma. game maker games, however, do not. i thought this argument was euthanized with the release of hotline miami.
graphics look sweet, but...are those scan lines?
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
but what about the Chaos Dunk??!?!
author=StarSkipping
Too much jargon and not enough information on where the money is going. $35,000 is very excessive for a game made in gamemaker.

author=Stew
I second the sentiment that 35K is asking too much.

IIRC, Barkley 1 took about a year of development and involved about 4-8 people (probably more), and considering how this a step up from Barkley 1 I'd say the $35k is more than justified.

In fact, I'd ask for something like $200k if I were them, which would be just enough to support a development team and pay for miscellaneous development costs.

$35k / 8 team members = $4375 / 12 months = $364 per month and team member.
author=dark_gammer
author=StarSkipping
Too much jargon and not enough information on where the money is going. $35,000 is very excessive for a game made in gamemaker.
author=Stew
I second the sentiment that 35K is asking too much.
IIRC, Barkley 1 took about a year of development and involved about 4-8 people (probably more), and considering how this a step up from Barkley 1 I'd say the $35k is more than justified.

In fact, I'd ask for something like $200k if I were them, which would be just enough to support a development team and pay for miscellaneous development costs.

My point isn't that what he's asking for is inaccurate in regards to how much the game will cost, it's that they might have a hard time actually getting funded if they ask for this much.

Other independently developed games have pulled off miracles (FTL), but it's not uncommon to see indie projects with "large" budgets fail while those asking for less succeed or even exceed their goals. People just seem to want to give you more when you ask for less.

I could be wrong, of course. You do need to factor in marketing efforts, established fan bases and whims of the universe, but it's just generally smart to look at your budget and see if there's anywhere you can excise some fat.

You might also want to try multiple crowdfunding sites. Kickstarter is the biggest name of course but there are tons of other venues where you could post your project. In fact, if you were to break up your goal across several sites you might be able to trick people into thinking you have that smaller budget I've been talking about. Granted, that feels a bit unsavory, but hey, it worked for Chris Roberts! Half on Kickstarter, half on his own site and now we're getting Star Citizen.
They are like, $1k away from their goal, they have had a ton of free press lately AND they have an existing indie game that made some decent waves a few years ago in the scene.

They are going to blow past their goal.
author=kentona
They are like, $1k away from their goal, they have had a ton of free press lately AND they have an existing indie game that made some decent waves a few years ago in the scene.

Ha! Well, in that case never mind me! :)

Congrats!
Already reached their goal, and over $40k on the first day..rofl, they are gods~ jk :3
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=dark_gammer

that's if all eight team members work for exactly 12 months each

which seems super unlikely

the composer will be done way, way before the tester even starts. the systems designer will need to be most of the way done before the content designer can start working. the entire game might only take eight months. their lawyer is probably being counted on staff to inflate their staff count, but his job is mostly already done. etc.

also, remember that the kickstarter cash is not their entire revenue. they are also selling the game! they don't get that revenue until they're done, but they do get it. the kickstarter is just to give them enough money to finish it without starving to death or being evicted, it's not their main source of profits.

though on the flip side, I bet they'll spend over a thousand bucks (and several weeks of work) just creating and shipping their higher tier rewards. right now they have to make and ship about 80 body pillow cases and 33 art books, and compile and send out a shitton of digital rewards.
author=kentona

Yeah. Complaints about how much they're asking for is sort of invalid, because they obviously would have far exceeded it.
im just sad that i was never a part of gamingw
author=LockeZ
author=dark_gammer
that's if all eight team members work for exactly 12 months each
The point I was trying to illustrate is that they're probably way more than 8 team members this time around, and that regardless of whether or not they're all working full-time for a whole year it's still not going to be enough money.

Plus, the developers have said themselves that they only intended for the Kickstarter to fund a couple of months of development, and that any additional income will help fund it for longer.

So yeah, I do think it's kind of unfair to accuse them of having an unreasonable goal.
Pages: first 1234 next last