DEMONS/DARK SOULS AND HARD AS SHIT GAMES.

Pages: first prev 12 last
author=Ciel
Traditional 'video games' without an extreme level of difficulty are pointless.

I wouldn't say that. While I agree with your general sentiment of your post, at the same time I don't want every game I play to be stupidly difficult. Yeah, challenge is important, but believe it or not, not every game is fun because it's very difficult. I enjoy titles like Symphony of the Night, Xenogears, Valkyria Chronicles, and a few other games for reasons other than difficulty.
Isrieri
"My father told me this would happen."
author=Ciel
Traditional 'video games' without an extreme level of difficulty are pointless.

I think what he's getting at is that difficulty is the main draw of more classic games. Traditional meaning more skill based games that aren't really anything more than an excuse plot and GO GO GO! Hence the "extreme" difficulty/challenge primarily being where most of one's enjoyment comes from.

author=Feldschlacht IV
I enjoy titles like Symphony of the Night, Xenogears, Valkyria Chronicles, and a few other games for reasons other than difficulty.

Whereas games like these have more going for it than just the gameplay. They've got story, atmosphere, and characters. I like Paper Mario and Earthbound, and those aren't really all that difficult. In those games the challenge isn't the main focus when you're playing. It's mainly the characters and dialogue in my case.
So I bought it yesterday for my 360 and played for 12 hours (hate having too much time off work xD)

What I like about Dark Souls is that the difficulty of the whole game is based around your skill as a player and your ability to utilize the mechanics of the game to defeat your opponents.

On the other hand with the Cod:WaW (not an rpg I know) campaign, hoist it up to veteran and all it does is send infinite waves of enemies that one shot you when you pop out of cover and don't stop until you creep forward enough.

Guess I'm kind of saying the ability to adjust difficulty is useless if the way the difficulty of the game works doesn't work well with the mechanics of the game and relies on luck just as much as it does skill.

That said Dark Souls isn't as hard as I would have gathered from the internet going apeshit about it, normal mode of ninja gaiden 2 was just as difficult.
Pages: first prev 12 last