I NEED AN OUTSIDE OPINION

Pages: 1
I am new to game design and I need some opinions besides my own on what seems like the best way for me to handle this. First of all, I am using RPG Maker 2k. Now, what I would like to know is how people feel about the following:

1. How important is the background story of a game?
2. What do you think of a system where you can hatch a creature that can act as a summon character?
3. Do you feel the above idea is possible in RPG Maker 2k?
4. Modern or Classic RPG?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Hmm. Make whatever type of game you want. There are lots of good modern and classic games that involve raising and training combat pets. If you want to make a plot-driven game or a character-driven game or a game with no dialogue at all, go for it. Generally speaking, especially if you're new, whatever you enjoy the most is what you're going to do the best job at making.

Engine choice is something I do have an opinion on. RM2K is awful and I don't know why you'd use it if you're just starting out. You'd have a much easier time in XP or VX Ace. The people who use RM2K all use it because they just already know how to do everything in it and find it easier than learning new stuff.
Well, my reason for using RM2K is that I cannot afford XP or VX Ace. I would use 2k3, but I despise the battle system. I have too much trouble getting my turn in before the enemy can attack me and interrupt my thoughts. I have tried looking up info on a custom battle system, but I find NOTHING! So I stick with RM2K for now. It seems my main obstacle is the spriting. I always hate my work, and when I ask for other's opinions, I can hear it in their tone that they are just trying to make me feel good, but really they don't like it.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
author=bulbaswat
Well, my reason for using RM2K is that I cannot afford XP or VX Ace.

But you were able to afford RM2k?
chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
Still, I say there is a big advantage in using 2k/2k3 if you don't know how to sprite, the graphics are sympathetic (I personally like them) while if you're going to use the default tilesets in XP/VX/VXAce it'll look horrible, and I don't see anyway to get around that.
Anything you want to do is possible really as most people said, and I don't personally think it makes too much difference which engine you use (although the newer ones will provide a more up to date and powerful engine), that said I use 2k/3 most of the time because I can't be arsed to learn rgss.

CBSs are actually quite simple if you understand the basics and plan it out before hand so you don't have to try and slot extra things in that you forgot, I might write a tutorial on them in the next few weeks depending on my mood.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=bulbaswat
Well, my reason for using RM2K is that I cannot afford XP or VX Ace.

You're okay with pirating one version but not another? No comprendo.

author=bulbaswat
It seems my main obstacle is the spriting. I always hate my work, and when I ask for other's opinions, I can hear it in their tone that they are just trying to make me feel good, but really they don't like it.

I can promise that I will not do this! Well, okay, I'm a terrible spriter, I'm more of a mapper and gameplay designer. But. People on RMN are generally pretty good about giving helpful advice instead of just handjobs. If you head to the Whatchu Workin On? thread or make a new thread in the Creative Corner and ask for help, then help is what you'll get. (If you don't ask for help, people will give it to you anyway.)
1. I personally like a solid background story, but it depend on the game. Talking about RPGs... well, the story is the reason I play them.

2. It can be interesting

3. Yes

4. Both are good choices, but the fantasy genre is somewhat overused.
First of all, welcome to the community!

1. I would say background is important, if only so that everything in the game fits together well. Doesn't have to be real in depth, just make sure it makes sense.
2. Cool. Sort of like a pokemon only hopefully you won't make 400+.
3. I've never really done anything with RPG Maker 2K, however I doubt it would be too hard to do.
4. Either or perhaps a mixture of both. You'll find fans of both at RMN.
Is your game all about the gameplay? If so, it's not too important. I would still give it some thought, though.

2. What do you think of a system where you can hatch a creature that can act as a summon character?
Like Irili said, it's like Pokemon. But don't get me wrong, that's a great idea, if you're skilled in creating fun and unique creatures to use.

Yes. RPG Maker Ace would help you make this idea a million times better, but yes.

<-- hater of many things classic
Modern.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
1. it cepnds on the genre. If it's a tacticla or mon game, I wouldn't expect a huge amount of story. If it's a full-on JRPG, story's hella important.
2. It's been done before. I'd suggest considering something slightly different for the critters. Perhaps the hero gains his powers via via Fusion Dance with his monsters (Power booster type) or via using his Mons as Equippable Allies. OR the hero and creature could enter into a symbiosis- for example one hero might have gained the ability to shoot jets of water via remora-like creatures attached to his arms, while another can shoot flames via the salamander-like creature attached to her left hand, which in return is able to draw nourishment from he bloodstream.
3. Of course, this somewhat more complex idea might be harder to pull off in 2k/3
4. Not quite clear on what the difference is...
1. As important as you think it is.
2. Nothing new.
3. Yeah.
4. If you don't enjoy making it, others aren't going to enjoy playing it.
author=bulbaswat
I am new to game design and I need some opinions besides my own on what seems like the best way for me to handle this. First of all, I am using RPG Maker 2k. Now, what I would like to know is how people feel about the following:

1. Yes, story is especially important if you're making a RPG as a start. Unless you're making a game of a different genre using RPG Maker 2k, but that would be more advanced stuff.
2. Don't know what to make of that.
3. Anything is possible in RPG Maker 2k. Even a game like Tetris can be made using RPG Maker 2k. It's a matter of how difficult and whether you know how to max out the engine's potential.
4. Doesn't matter.
Thank you for the input everyone! I think I have an idea of how to use my idea now.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread

There are games that don't need a story, or much of one, to be fun. I'm mostly thinking on the lines of Mario games with this thought, but there might be other examples.

This suggests a pet system, and that's a total turn-off for me.

I'm assuming you'd want to remove any party members that were summoned after battle. If I'm right, I think it's possible in 2K, but I would think that you would be better off setting up encounters via events.

If you're working in 2K, I would think a classic game be easier to pull off. Though, if you think you could pull off something with more modern sensibilities, all the power to you!

*Edit: I have the best timing in the universe!
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
1) As important or unimportant as you want it to be. There are plenty of JRPGs with stories, but I'd recommend a short story at best, not an epic. Something that could fit in 100 pages of a book. That way, you're more likely to finish.

2) This is a little too vague for me to judge. My guess is either you mean Pokemon-esque or something like FFX's Aeons, which are neat, but I'd say since you're in control, try mixing it up with something new. Those systems had flaws, improve them, or just reshape them in your own way!

3) Yea, probably, but it'll probably be easier with a new engine like Ace, since 2k was build to make Dragon Warrior games and you'll most likely have to hack everything else in.

4) Make whatever you'll enjoy making, that way even if it sucks you still had fun and learned something.

BAM
If your having trouble with graphics, my advice is to look for free game art and just edit it to your liking. Creating custom graphics from scratch is very difficult if you are a new at it.

1 - Depends on the game.
2 - If your going this route, I'd suggest doing your best to distinguish yourself from looking like a Pokemon-clone (check out Dragon Quest Monsters and Azure Dreams). Unless that's what your going for then go crazy! Lol
3 - Yeah, using variables, switches, event coding and things like that.
4 - Depends on the game. A modern RPG will be tougher in 2K but it is possible if you know the engine well. I'd say go with something simple in the beginning and gradually expanding the game as you go on.
author=slashphoenix
1) As important or unimportant as you want it to be. There are plenty of JRPGs with stories, but I'd recommend a short story at best, not an epic. Something that could fit in 100 pages of a book. That way, you're more likely to finish.

2) This is a little too vague for me to judge. My guess is either you mean Pokemon-esque or something like FFX's Aeons, which are neat, but I'd say since you're in control, try mixing it up with something new. Those systems had flaws, improve them, or just reshape them in your own way!

3) Yea, probably, but it'll probably be easier with a new engine like Ace, since 2k was build to make Dragon Warrior games and you'll most likely have to hack everything else in.

4) Make whatever you'll enjoy making, that way even if it sucks you still had fun and learned something.

BAM

This.
First off, I recommend using RM2k3 as opposed to 2000. Though there are some minor things about 2000 that are better and it provides a different battle system, it also lacks some options that 2k3 provides that make it possible to do a lot more with your game. If you are going for simplicity though, 2000 is the way to go.

Now, on to the advice you actually asked for.

If you are looking to make a true RPG then you need to remember their is a degree of - Role Playing -. People forget this and actually think an RPG stands for "Fantasy-based Game" or that it represents a particular type of battling and magic system. The background story isn't really so important as long as your character has a role to play and that role is clearly defined. If he/she is just wondering through the world with no purpose than I wouldn't dare call it an RPG but maybe a free-roaming adventure. Here's what I suggest: As opposed to designing a game back story first, I recommend building on your main character first. What is their purpose? Where are they from? What got them to this point in their life? What is their personality? What are their strengths and weaknesses (a good character HAS to have obvious weaknesses that they overcome. Story writing 101)? As you develop the type of character you want, you'll start to discover who he might associate with and why. These will become your other characters. Where do they come from? What is their purpose? What reason would they have for interacting with your main character? As you develop all this the world background story will begin to form itself. It can be cliche too, as long as your characters have depth.

This is rather vague. As you said you're new to making RPG's I will give you this one VERY important piece of advice. If you want to have any hope of completing your first game from start to end, you need to plan it out in depth beforehand and stick to that plan. Otherwise you will become lost in ideas later in the process and it will be incoherent and the project will either be abandoned, fall apart, or be utter crap if completed. So! Plan out the following and look back on this plan in writing on occasion as you progress through development: characters, plot, game mechanics (I recommend programming all your game systems first once you start), primary graphics to be used, all locations, etc. Write down all the ideas you have for things you want in the game then try to look at them objectively to see if they make sense together. Does this one particular idea have a purpose or add to the experience, or will it just clutter the game experience? In other words, I can't tell you what I think of that system unless I know why its there.

Yes, but as a novice you may need to get some help with the programming as you go. This is one of the reasons I say to implement your systems first. They give you the most experience in programming and once you can figure out a custom menu or battle system, the other stuff becomes quite easy. Learn about variables and their many uses or you'll be using a million switches which will take you longer and waste a lot of space and time for you, not to mention make your game run slower.

What do you want to make? Ultimately you need to make something you'll have fun with. If you try to make a game for other people you'll discover quickly that you can't please any of the people any of the time in game development. At least not as a novice. There are more graphic resources available for Classic RPG's than modern though, if you don't plan on making your own graphics I would suggest at least that. I also recommend trying to create something unique about your game from others. Can you design a never before tried magic system? Can you break away from the common experience building system? Can your character be something unexpected? The best part about making games is the ability to put whatever YOU want in it, so be creative.

I hope this was helpful. Keep Calm, Game On
Less important than the immediate story of a game. Backstory can enrich an already rich game, but it can't make up for the failings of the actual story of your game.

Neat. Lot's of fun possibilities there, especially if there are many different creatures to collect. The success of Pokemon proves that people like collecting creatures.

Anything is possible in RPG Maker 2k. You're only really limited to your own imagination. The little maker is capable of amazing things if you're willing to twist it into shapes it wasn't really designed to fit into.

Both have their merits. Whatever suits what you're going for.
Pages: 1