GUILD MASTER - RPG SIMULATOR TOURNAMENT - PRELIMINARIES

Pages: 1
Hola. I've been prototyping a game I've been calling Guild Master and need your help bug and balance testing the combat simulation. To do so, I'm going to run some kind of informal forum tournament where users create a party and I can toss them into the simulator to see how they fare. However, before I actually setup a proper tournament I want to run some exhibitions to get the major balance issues and bugs out of the way. This also gives you a chance to familiarize yourself a bit with party creation and combat mechanics.

Your role is to assemble a party of four heroes. Select their class, abilities, and equipment. I will then throw them against another user's party where they will auto-battle until only one side is alive or a stalemate has been reached.

Each hero you create has four abilities. Abilities may have an offensive or supportive package, or both. Because battle is conducted automatically, each ability has a type of targeting behavior. For example, "Low HP" will select an entity with the lowest health percentage. The four ability types are below, and a hero may only equip one of each type:

(click links for full listing of abilities)

Active Abilities:
Active abilities are the default action and generate AP each time they are used. Some abilities deal lots of damage but generate little AP, while others deal little damage and generate much AP.

Expensive Abilities:
Expensive abilities are the priority action but can only be used at full AP. Upon use, AP is reset to zero.

Reactive Abilities:
Reactive abilities are triggered whenever an actor is the victim of a hostile action. Some reactives generate AP for the user, while others will counterattack the enemy.

Passive Abilities:
Passive abilities are always on. Their effects are quite varied, ranging from straight stat boosts to applying bleed conditions to every attack.

Ability Fields:
(a)Soulsteal(b)72 AP(c)0 MaxAP
(d)Scope(e)Target(f)Power(g)Hits(h)Type(i)Element(j)Inflict(k)Remove(l)AP(m)MaxAP
EnemyAny100%1MagicalChaosnoneShield00
AllySelf50%1MagicalNonenonenone00
(n)Chaos magic that steals HP.

(a) Ability name.
(b) Amount of AP generated for the actor.
(c) Modification to the actor's MaxAP. Many healing expensives increase the actor's Max AP to prevent heal spam.
(d) Scope identifies which party it selects targets from.
(e) Target specifies how the ability behaves. A Low Res ability will target the enemy with the lowest Resist, while Bless will target the enemy with the most blessings.
(f) Power is how strong the ability is, expressed as a percentage.
(g) The number of hits an ability delivers. Multi-hitting abilities can penetrate shields more easily or apply multiple status conditions.
(h) Physical abilities scale with Attack while Magical abilities scale with Magic.
(i) Elemental affinity of the ability. Abilities with no affinity inherit elemental properties from weapons.
(j) Status conditions added to the target.
(k) Status conditions removed from the target. Blessings or Afflictions include all conditions of that type.
(l) Modification to the target's AP. Reducing AP delays expensive usage.
(m) Modification to the target's MaxAP, permanently making expensives more difficult to use.
(n) A crappy description of the ability. These need to be redone.

Elements
There are two elemental wheels. If an element is strong against the armor element of its target, damage will be increased to 150%. If it is weak against an armor element, it will be decreased to 67%. Like elements deal full damage: Fight fire with fire, as they say.

Firestrong vs.Nature
Naturestrong vs.Water
Waterstrong vs.Fire

Chaosstrong vs.Holy
Holystrong vs.Death
Deathstrong vs.Chaos

Equipment
I have filled out some sample equipment to choose from. If you have a request that isn't in the list, just describe the equipment type (mighty, medium, etc), general stat composition (high attack, medium defense, etc), and element.

Equipment List

Classes

As stated earlier, each hero has a character class. Below are the available classes with their respective Lv25 values. These status are probably going to change. Each class can only equip certain equipment types. All classes have a base MaxAP value of 360. This number was chosen because it is highly divisible by many factors, so that I can define abilities as "3 hits to charge up an expensive."

Class HP Att Mag Def Res Agi Equipment
Freelancer 1650 230 230 230 230 230 Mystical, Finesse, Mighty, Light, Medium, Heavy
Hunter 1650 280 180 205 155 330 Finesse, Mighty, Light, Medium
Troubadour 1500 205 280 205 255 230 Mystical, Finesse, Light, Medium, Heavy
Knight 1950 280 130 305 155 230 Finesse, Mighty, Heavy
Cleric 1800 205 255 230 280 155 Mystical, Finesse, Light, Medium, Heavy
Magus 1200 130 330 130 330 305 Mystical, Light
Gladiator 1650 330 130 255 130 305 Mighty, Medium, Heavy
Paladin 2250 155 180 330 255 130 Finesse, Mighty, Medium, Heavy
Riftlord 1050 305 280 155 255 255 Mystical, Mighty, Light, Medium
Warlock 2100 155 305 180 280 155 Mystical, Finesse, Light

Statistics
HP: Health points. You know how they work.
AP: At full AP, a hero uses their expensive ability. Lower Max AP is better.
Att: Attack determines damage dealt by physical abilities.
Mag: Magic determines damage dealt by magical abilities.
Def: Defense reduces physical damage.
Res: Resist reduces magical damage.
Agi: Agility determines turn order and hit/dodge chance.

Formulas:
Damage = ability.Power * Modifier * (100 / (25 + Mitigation))
Such that modifier is an actor's Attack or Magic, and Mitigation is target Defense or Resist.

Healing = ability.Power * actor.Magic * (100 / (95 + (actor.Lvl * 20))

Hit Chance = (100 * actor.Agility) / (actor.Agility + target.Agility) + 25
Such that if an actor and target have the same agility, then the ability has a 75% chance to connect.

Status Conditions
Status conditions come in three flavors: Blessings, Afflictions, and Taunts. Most status conditions stack, with the exception of Shield and Barrier. If an ability hits multiple times, then it applies an associated condition multiple times. Conditions tick at the end of an actor's action rather than at the beginning or end of a combat turn.

Blessings
Regen: Regenerates HP. Regen power is 20% (see healing formula) and scales with Magic. Duration: 3
Barrier: Reduces direct damage received to 25%. Duration: 2
Shield: Reduces direct damage received to 0. All direct damage abilities dispel Shield. Duration: 2
Toughness: Increases Defense by (actor.Level * 3). Duration: 3
Willpower: Increases Resist by (actor.Level * 3). Duration: 3
Haste: Increases Agility by (actor.Level * 3). Duration: 3

Afflictions
Poison: Damages HP. Poison power is 20% and scales with Magic. Duration: 3
Wound: Reduces all healing to 75% per application. Duration: 4
Decay: Reduces Defense by (actor.Level * 3). Duration: 3
Flay: Reduces Resist by (actor.Level * 3). Duration: 3
Slow: Reduces Agility by (actor.Level * 3). Duration: 3
Stun: Prevents all action. Duration: 2

Other
Bleed: Damages HP. Bleed power is 5% and scales with Attack. Duration: 6

Taunts
Taunted: Actor will only attack targets affected by Taunting. Duration: 3
Taunting: Actor becomes a priority target for those affected by Taunted. Duration: 3

Rambling
Most of the values have been arbitrarily chosen and very little balance testing has been done, so I imagine many overpowered abilities and load-outs will emerge. For now, come up with a party of four heroes. Go through the ability links above (which is formatted poorly but will have to do for now). Think about the hero's skillset and party make-up holistically. I will pastebin the combat log so you can see how it plays out. Keep in mind the log is formatted for debugging and not player consumption yet, though.

Feel free to ask questions while I expand the documentation. Ability descriptions in particular are woeful, as they're only informational enough so that I don't forget what that ability does. They'll improve once abilities aren't in flux as much. Also, documentation on how stats and damage equations work, etc.

Hero Form Example (need four heroes per party):

Team: Necropolis

Name: Marcus (must be 12 or fewer letters, no numbers or symbols)
Class: Gladiator
Active: Flurry
Expensive: Antagonize
Reactive: Flail
Passive: Bloodbath
Weapon: Atlas
Armor: Crescent
Throwing one out there!

Magus
Plague, Impulse, Siphon, Battery
Plague, Disintegrate, Siphon, Battery

Riftlord
Parry, Soulsteal, Counter, Siphon
Parry, Deathcoil, Counter, Bloodbath

Paladin
Shield, Defend, Ironhide, Indomitable
Shield, Antagonize, Ironhide, Indomitable

Freelancer
Tempest, Thorns, Internalize, Energetic

Edited to fix my mistake!
If it wasn't clear, you can only have one of each ability type per hero.

Try again, Sei. Magus has two reactives and no expensive. Riftlord has two actives, two reactives, and no passive or expensive abilities. Paladin has two actives and no expensive. Freelancer is correct, however. Also, give them a name.

I may add an online database so people can create heroes via drop-down menus. Depends on how lazy I am. I will create a character sheet in the interim and fill out my own party.
Here's my randomly generated party, so expect it to be awful because most of the party is mages using physical attacks:

Team: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Name: Leo
Class: Magus
Active: Flameblade
Expensive: Rapture
Reactive: Detox
Passive: Afterglow
Weapon: Tiamat
Armor: Archlord

Name: Raph
Class: Troubadour
Active: Slash
Expensive: Spirit
Reactive: Bandage
Passive: Elemental
Weapon: Limbo
Armor: Slayer

Name: Mike
Class: Knight
Active: Zeal
Expensive: Rally
Reactive: Internalize
Passive: Metabolize

Name: Don
Class: Warlock
Active: Bully
Expensive: Paralyze
Reactive: Ironhide
Passive: Athlete
Weapon: Masamune

This random party gets destroyed by Sei's. It has no damage and nonsensical ability load-outs.
Jude's TMNT vs Sei's Pokemon

Here is the first combat log, in which Sei's team totally trounced mine. Combat logging is still unoptimized for players and too verbose, but getting around to that is low priority. I also plan to implement post-combat summaries to easily identify types of damage dealt, healing, healing mitigation, number of blessings/afflictions, etc. That way, when players lose they can rapidly identify, "Oh, there's a lot of fire damage in play so I can counter that with water-affinity armor."
CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
On sunny days, I go out walking
not quite sure how battle mechanics work but SEE IF YOU CAN GUESS WHAT ARCHETYPE EACH PERSON FALLS INTO!! also I don't have any idea if decreasing AP with weapons is good or not.

Name: Paul
Active: Meteor
Expensive: Inferno
Reactive: Impulse
Passive: Scholar

yeah im just taking the strongest equipment :> :> :>

Name: Daryl
Active: Mockingblow
Expensive: Protection
Reactive: Buzzkill
Passive: Metabolize

Name: John
Active: Heal
Expensive: Prayer
Reactive: Eraser
Passive: Aura

Name: Art
Active: Flameblade
Reactive: Flail
Armor: Gryphon
Results for CAVE_DOG's Cavedogs vs Sei's Pokemon have been simulated. Cavedogs win. Raw combat log is here:

Cavedogs vs Pokemon

Your Daryl build highlighted an oddity with Metabolize that has now been fixed.

You may notice that the stats seem different. I changed many things last night and haven't updated the post or ability pages to reflect them yet. Soon.

author=CAVE_DOG_IS_BACK
not quite sure how battle mechanics work but SEE IF YOU CAN GUESS WHAT ARCHETYPE EACH PERSON FALLS INTO!! also I don't have any idea if decreasing AP with weapons is good or not.

It is good. With two -45 MaxAP items equipped you require one fewer turn for a 90 AP ability to activate an expensive ability. I realize I should annotate the weapon/armor charts to correctly reflect that it's a modification to MaxAP and not AP generation.
I created a new party. It's well-rounded and has an answer for for everything (in small doses... skew heavily in one area and they probably have trouble dealing with it... I predict Team Crystal is very vulnerable to heavy AoE and multi-hit parties), although its damage output is lackluster. Team Cavedogs is similar except lacks affliction dispel in favor of higher damage output. The parties were well-matched so I ran the simulation as a best-of-7. They were well-matched enough that there were two infinite loop stalemates.

Cavedogs: 2, Crystal: 4, Stalemate: 2

One of the encounters was pretty close, and also pretty long turn-wise, so I've chosen that one to post:

Cavedogs vs Crystal #3

Team: Crystal

Name: Cecil
Class: Paladin
Active: Defend
Expensive: Rally
Reactive: Juggernaut
Passive: Indomitable

Name: Kain
Active: Smite
Expensive: Cleave
Reactive: Tenacity

Name: Rosa
Class: Cleric
Active: Shield
Expensive: Renew
Reactive: Phasing
Passive: Afterglow

Name: Edge
Class: Riftlord
Active: Riftsaber
Expensive: Frostbolt
Passive: Leech

Edit: I've also updated the Active, Expensive, and Reactive ability pages to reflect current attributes. I need to update the table generator script I made for posting them on RMN, because it's not reflecting some recent changes correctly. Some abilities now generate multiple instances of the same status condition in one hit and the table won't reflect that. Typically, for expensive abilities, if it's a group-damage spell it applies the condition once and the single-target spell of the same element applies it four times.

Anyway, I'll probably be increasing the damage of most physical Actives, with a minimum power modifier of 100% but lower than 125%.
Kwame - Knight
Venomblade, Protection, Ironhide, Indomitable
Masamune, Crescent

Wheeler - Magus
Flames, Fireball, Internalize, Quicken
Tiamat, Archlord

Linka - Hunter
Flurry, Blitz, Disperse, Athlete
Atlas, Gryphon

Gi - Cleric
Zeal, Renew, Siphon, Energetic
Tiamat, Archlord
Brickroad's Planeteers has a few gaps but doesn't lose to everything. Gi is has a highly sustainable load-out, but Kwame synergizes poorly.

The lack of group-wide damage means they have a hard time dealing with the TMNT's summon magic.

They have good shield penetration against Team Crystal but are unable to followup with damage or deal with Wound effects, so Team Crystal always remains in control even if the battle is drawn out. Once Cecil has them all taunted with Juggernaut (which is a self-sustaining taunt provided somebody hits him first), he becomes immovable and protects the rest of his party from harm. A dispel to remove Cecil's barrier would soften him up, or wounding Cecil to mitigate Rosa's healing would disrupt this. Additionally, a means to break taunt effects like Tenacity or Warcry would also work. Or just stacking group-wide damage, which Cecil can't taunt against.

Relying on a single target heal, no shielding, and having no counter to Team Cavedogs group healing and high group damage--the Planeteers have zero chance here.

Team Pokemon has a lot of shields which are easily penetrated by Team Planeteer's Flames, Flurry, and Fireball abilities. However, the Planeteers have no answer for for the Wound and Poison conditions being dished out by Zubat and Bulbasaur. As a result, Sei's Team Pokemon and the Planeteers are pretty evenly matched, so I ran this simulation 16 times. Out of 16 rounds, the Planeteers were victorious 10 times. Almost every battle came down to a handful of combatants, with the Planeteers only obtaining a decisive victory twice (which is still two more times than Team Pokemon).

Planeteers vs Crystal
Planeteers vs Cavedogs
Planeteers vs Pokemon

I've also designed a new party to throw into the mix:

Team: Teen Titans

Name: Robin
Class: Hunter
Active: Pierce
Expensive: Silencer
Reactive: Kinetic
Passive: Acrobat

Name: Cyborg
Active: Lightsaber
Expensive: Warcry
Reactive: Timewarp
Passive: Energetic

Name: Raven
Class: Warlock
Active: Plague
Expensive: Shadowling
Passive: Quicken

Name: Starfire
Active: Flare
Expensive: Atonement
Reactive: Impulse
Passive: Scholar

I collided this party against Team Crystal several times, and almost every time the Titans win. In spite of having no healing and minimal shielding, the Teen Titans overwhelm Team Crystal with wound stacking, summon stacking, and battlefield control.

Cyborg steadily raises the MaxAP of the enemy with Lightsaber, progressively buying Robin more-and-more time to land Silencer and wipe the target's AP to zero before they can use it.

Raven and Robin double up on wound effects with Pierce and Plague, while Cyborg and Raven's Shadowlings continuously apply Slow and Decay (defense down).

Shadowlings come with the Bruiser passive, which allows their attacks to extend the duration of afflictions by one turn. Team Crystal's only affliction cleansing comes in the form of Cecil's expensive ability Rally, but with Robin and Cyborg preventing steady expensive usage, Team Crystal is never able to reliably cleanse the continuously stacking afflictions. And without any kind of group-wide damage, Team Crystal has no counter to the Shadowlings that Raven keeps conjuring from the underworld.

I predict that Team Teen Titans is weak against parties with reliable affliction cleansing and high group-wide damage.

Teen Titans vs Planeteers

Anyway... Some recent changes. Increased Fireball's total power to 600%, up from 525%. Silencer was incorrectly adding 999 AP rather than removing 999 AP from the target. Toughness, Haste, and Willpower had their durations increased to 5, up from 3. I am considering adding blessings to a few abilities, like Haste to Flurry and Willpower to Channel. May increase Flames AP to 120. I'm not sure yet. Leech will probably get reduced to 1/6th instead of 1/4th of the AP generated by enemies.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
I have no idea how well this team will work, it's really gimmicky. I figure that's probably good for the test runs though.

I Will Survive

Name: Ironchest
Active: Parry
Expensive: Harden
Reactive: Bandage

Name: Stonegut
Reactive: Splatter
Passive: Aura

Name: Bulwark Biff
Active: Zeal

Name: The Wall
Active: Soulsteal
Expensive: Renew
Reactive: Splatter
Your team is actually pretty hilarious, LockeZ. It has no damage, but after many rounds, Bulwark Bill can stun every other round. So at that point, if you get a few consecutive stuns on the healer, you finally win. Crystal almost beat you. They got your entire team down to less than 15% but then you iced Edge with some consecutive stuns, which prevented him from evading the otherwise slow-as-slugs paladins. Crystal is a pretty balanced group with a super durable Cecil/Rosa combo, but their only burst damage is Edge's Frostbolt which as a one-hit ability is incapable of penetrating the shields from Phasing and Parry. Having no group-wide damage, you have no answer to the Teen Titan's shadowling stacking which shreds your armor infinitely without an affliction cleanse. I also created another party yesterday that I didn't post yet because I was waiting for somebody else to participate, but this team was also strong against yours. They stack Flay and focus on magic damage, which your paladins couldn't out-survive without any form of Cleanse.

Anyway, your tank party defeated most of its opponents, but lost to TMNT, Teen Titans, and my Narshe Brigade that I'll post in a bit. The battle against Crystal was over a thousand combat rounds, by the way and the combat log file is over 4MB. I will upload the logs later.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
That's great, I wasn't sure I would win anything and was worried some of the battles might actually last an infinite amount of time if they could out-heal me. Bulwark Biff is the long-term payoff though.

Edit: It occurs to me that if I swapped out Paralyze for Warcry it would work better. Stun all enemies instead of just one. I don't need the extra damage from Paralyze, and I'm certainly not depending on taunt to survive. I don't think I can comfortably add a cleanse while maintaining my utter invincibility to everything except afflictions, though.
I don't think Warcry will work as well for you. The page isnt updated but Warcry doesn't have a power modifier and adds 30 or 60 MaxAp to the user. Umaro in my Narshe Brigade has it, which highlighted how overpowered it was when I ran them through the sim the other day. For cleanse, your options are Rally and Purity. Either replacing Harden with Rally or Prayer with Purity. That is your most sacrificable ability, at least. If you want I can design a party that doesnt use afflictions or summons but can still defeat yours, just in case you think that's your only weakness.
Team: Hellions

Name: Freebase
Class: Freelancer
Active: Blast

Name: Wight
Active: Voidsaber
Reactive: Counter

Name: Clarice
Class: Cleric
Reactive: Disperse
Passive: Healthy

Name: Huntz
Active: Flurry
Expensive: Blitz
Reactive: Siphon
Passive: Acrobat
Weapon: Bramble
LockeZ
OK, let's try a stunlock team. There don't seem to be any active abilities that prevent enemy actions, so this team is built around getting to its expensive abilities ASAP. I don't think it'll work, though.

Team: Stop, Can't Touch This

Name: MC Hammer
Active: Channel

Name: Vanilla Ice

Name: Wacko Jacko
Active: Smite

Name: Psy
Expensive: Spirit
Reactive: Energetic
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
Team: Universatiles

Name: Solagarr
Class: Riftlord
Active: Venom Blade
Passive: Leech
Weapon: Massacre
Armor: Mezzo

Name: Planetios
Active: Riftsaber
Expensive: Shadowling
Reactive: Cleave
Weapon: Coral
Armor: Gaia

Name: Lunia
Expensive: Purity
Weapon: Dream
Armor: Grim

Name: Starla
Active: Shield
Expensive: Tsunami
Reactive: Expose
Weapon: Energy
Armor: Rift

I find the equipment odd. There is nothing to keep people from just using the best stuff. This is probably something done in the actual Guild Master. Do you have to actually aquire the equipment?

These are interesting skills. Anyway, I'm not sure if I've really created a build, but I hope it works.

Edit: Equipment and swapped out Lunia's prayer for purity
That party is even more obnoxious, making it clear that I haven't done enough to stuns and Spirit yet. The two together are unstoppable without an equally cheesy party that I also need to nerf. The party I came up with that doesn't flinch against Team Stop is 4x Troubadours with Meteor, Rapture, Detox, and Metabolize. One of the troubadours has Atonement to periodically dispel the massive Toughness and Willpower Channel and the Spirit's Harden start to stack up. I will probably increase the MaxAP on Warcry to 90 and add ~30 MaxAP to Paralyze, as well as tweaking the Spirit's resilience.

author=Blobofpoo
I find the equipment odd. There is nothing to keep people from just using the best stuff. This is probably something done in the actual Guild Master. Do you have to actually aquire the equipment?

Equipment charts were just generated programmatically from the placeholders I put in the game to test equipment. Yes, you do acquire the equipment in the actual game, from adventures, shops, and crafting.

Edit: Since I made the crafting system the other day, I now know how weapons will look stat-wise at various levels, so I have generated some sample equipment to choose from (Equipment). You can go back and edit your hero parties if you want, or I will fill it in automatically based on my own estimations. Because I have settled on equipment scaling, expect other numbers to change in the near-future as I see how it affects damage output and absorbance at high character levels (I anticipate a change to the healing formula, most likely).

Anyway, my determination for now has been to assign Paralyze a MaxAP value of 15, reduce Channel's target AP to 30, replace the Spirit's Harden with Protection, and changed Metabolize from Regen to a unique status similar to Bleed (small regen, scales with Magic stat, long duration, can not be dispelled).
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
How does stacking a status work? How much does it increase? By an increasing amount or decreasing amount?

For example posion(4)

Edit: Also, about tournament setup, I was just running different scenario's through my head. I think it would be pretty interesting to allow everyone to have 2 teams. This would mean you would need a challenger/champion thing going on so that you actually choose which party will work best, while the champion has a chosen party at the start.

So using letters to represent us:

First round: No winners, vs style

BoG (1 or 2) vs LZ (1 or 2)

K (1/2) vs J (1/2)

Let's say that kentona and LockeZ win.

Second Round: Kentona and LockeZ are winners and take on the "champion role"

Champion: LockeZ (decided party before the match)
Challenger: Blobofgoo (party chosen based on LockeZ's party, same bracket)

BoG (1 or 2) vs LockeZ (decided)

Champion: Kentona (decided)
Challenger: Jude (1 or 2)

K (decided) vs J (1 or 2)

If a challenger wins than another match is held as a tie breaker. The winner if the tie breaker moves up.

You could also eliminate parties that lose. Meaning I can't challenge LockeZ with the same party as before.
Pages: 1