POKEMON X AND POKEMON Y - THE 6TH GENERATION CONFIRMED!

When the hell will they ever quit, eh?

Nintendo has confirmed the 6th generation of pokemon: X and Y version (the third installment will probably be called Z version, I'm sure).

Here's a video.
Invalid YouTube URLhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4bIrWryFc7A

It's now a full-3D game. I just hope this doesn't slow down the pace of the battles.

Here's a picture of the 3 (assumed) starters:

So what do you folks think? Anyone with the 3DS plan on getting this when it releases WORLDWIDE, October 2013? This notion is new, as Japan usually gets the game about a year before the Americas and Europe does.

I for one am excited for this. How about you?
I'm probably wrong, but I don't think there's actually going to be a full 6th generation. I remember reading somewhere that Nintendo were going to be focusing on integrating and destroying the separation between generations in future games (with the exception of starters and legendaries). Might not be true, just something I heard.

I’ll get this, I already own a 3DS and I’m still a fan of the main Pokemon games, I’ve played most of them except for Black and White 2. Pokemon has stayed strictly to formula with pretty much minor changes each time, so it’s nice to see a massive step in the graphical department. Looking forward to see what else they change, if anything.
Well, I needed a new DS anyway. Might as well get a 3DS instead~
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
You know, when I first saw this I thought was an April fools joke... then I realised it was January.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Are those really the names

I read the names and thought they were just ways of generically referring to pairs of pokemon games

Anyway I don't know how it's physically possible to be excited about new pokemon games. The series holds the unprecedented honor of being the only series in which I already was complaining that all the games were identical when the very first game was released, and it hasn't changed since.
Welp...I guess I might have to go with the fire starter this time. Usually I go with grass but that one just looks...derpy. :x

Also 3D Pokemon woooo...the names though, haha...THERE ARE STILL PLENTY OF COLORS YOU KNOW.
...but, can you catch them all?
author=kentona
...but, can you catch them all?

I did in White 2... ;-;
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
They won't make a 'Z'. They'll make X2 and Y2. I mean, heck, they already missed the opportunity for Gray Version.
Jeroen_Sol
Nothing reveals Humanity so well as the games it plays. A game of betrayal, where the most suspicious person is brutally murdered? How savage.
I want to slap myself with a magikarp now...
masterofmayhem
I can defiantly see where you’re coming from
author=LockeZ
Anyway I don't know how it's physically possible to be excited about new pokemon games. The series holds the unprecedented honor of being the only series in which I already was complaining that all the games were identical when the very first game was released, and it hasn't changed since.

I know what you mean, I really don't know how to feal about these games. At first I was like “a new Pokémon game already? Are they serious?”

And once again it looks like the fire stater will be the only one worth using. Hope to God it not another fire/fighting type.
I won't lie, it looks awesome. I mean, finally it's in 3D! They've been hinting it for a while now, so it's about time they made it.

....Still, I think this will basically be the same thing.
The full 3D aspects look good, but I can't get too excited for it. I started to become less of a fan starting with 3rd gen when they decided to change the art style for the pokemon and make them a lot more cartoony, that and it's really starting to feel like with 5th gen, that they are running out of pokemon ideas as they simpler get stranger and stranger, and in my opinion worse looking. 4th gen was probably the last good pokemon game that I enjoyed, I doubt I'll even consider getting it when it comes out.
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
All three starters look like lazy rehashes as do the legendaries, the graphics are subpar even for a 3DS game and I don't think the names needs any more emphasis on how bad they are.

I'm still probably going to buy a 3DS and play one of them though. Once a Pokéfan, always a Pokéfan. (Of course, it helps that AA5 is coming out for the platform too)
I don't normally cry foul over big changes in game series but... really? REALLY!?

EDIT: Why? They're taking away the two trademark Pokémon themes. What are they?
Pokémon is in 2D. It has a color or precious metal in it's name. They removed both!
author=wildwes
I don't normally cry foul over big changes in game series but... really? REALLY!?

EDIT: Why? They're taking away the two trademark Pokémon themes. What are they?
Pokémon is in 2D. It has a color or precious metal in it's name. They removed both!

You're absolutely right! I am outraged! How dare they make a main series Pokémon game in 3D? Why must Nintendo always do this? I mean, just look at Zelda! Zelda's in 2D too! But no, they had to make that Ocarina of Time crap! And don't even get me started on Super Mario 64!

Now with a little less sarcasm, let me get to the names. Rubies, saphires and emeralds are not metals, and are not colors either. They're gems. Were you outraged back then? And you seem to be forgetting that cycle where the three games were named after a mineral, a hard substance created by an animal, and a metal. The names aren't related in any way, unless the theme is "things that are hard". Game Freak can name their games however they want, and they are the only judges of what is fitting for a Pokémon game's name. Besides, they'd eventually need to go for really obscure metals and colors if they followed your completely arbitrary rules. I'd rather they got names that roll off the tongue better from other sources, as they are doing.

The two trademark Pokémon themes? You collect colorful monsters with awesome powers and make them fight each other. They're both still there and not going anywhere.

What I'm seeing so far interests me. I think the 3D cel-shaded look fits the game prtty well, and while I think the overworld graphics could use a bit more definition, I am more than satisfied with how the battles look.

I am a bit more partial to Fennekin (as are most people), but I have to say that the other starters have quickly grown on me. I suspect it won't be an easy choice when I get the game. If I chose the version for the legendary only, I'd go for Y for sure. Yveltal is distilled badass. Still, I'll have to see what the other version differences are. And I hope the predictions that the starters will evolve into Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting are correct. The logic is sound.

I'm very interested in what these games might bring to the table mechanically. Though from an outside perspective it may seem like Pokémon games have never changed mechanically, they have changed, just in ways that are a bit subtle and don't jump at your face. Gen II introduced two new types, separated the Special stat into an offensive and a defensive stat, intruduced breeding, allowing some Pokémon to get some moves they normally wouldn't by using this system, and introduced a barebones equipment system (Disregarding very specific and niche occasions, Leftovers was always the best choice). Gen III introduced passive abilities, natures, which allow you to boost a stat by 10% at the cost of 10% of another (Pretty easy to get a net gain out of it), double battles, expanded on the equipment, and reworked the EV system, turning it into a customization option by implementing a limit that made it so only two stats could be fully boosted. Gen IV separated physical and special properties by move rather than by type, making Fire Punch physical as it should always have been (better late than never). Gen V introduced triple battles and through its Dream World gave a bunch of old Pokémon new abilities that sometimes drastically changed their useability (Case in point, Politoed and Ninetales, first non-legendary automatic rain and sun inducers).

And that's just the general stuff, you can think of each new Pokémon game as an expansion, and each new pokémon, move, ability or item has the potential to add new strategic options to the game. In that way, Pokémon is kinda like a collectible card game, with your six Pokémon, their four moves each and their equipped items being your deck. Anyone who has played those kinds of games (Magic superior master race) knows how exciting a new expansion can be.

So yeah, I am eagerly awaiting to see what new toys I'm going to get.

And before I leave, here's a fan interpretaition of what the final forms of the starters might look like:

If Chespin's final form look anything like that, I'm going grass.
You have a point. When I said 'precious metal' I really meant every metal, mineral, or gem that has been used (counting heartgold and soulsilver).
Also, I know that those aren't the main themes, they were just stuff that HAD been around since Pokémon's beginning. Sorry. My last post was out of anger. Now that
I'm thinking about it, if I ever get a 3DS I'll probably get this game, even if
it's for my b-day or something. Plus, I agree with you about Chespin. He looks
dorky, but that final form looks awesome. I always did go for Grass anyway...
Been heavily anticipating this, another 100+ pokes to train up and battle online with. :P
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
Oh cool, another pokemon generation that isn't much different from the previous ones.
100 more? How many will that make it, 800 or something?
I'll stick to the metal gen, thanks.