[POLL] WESTERN RPGS VS JAPANESE RPGS

Poll

Which RPGs do you prefer? - Results

Western RPG
38%
Japanese RPG
61%

Pages: first prev 123 last
Alright, so my childhood was in the 90's. During that time, the best RPGs were jRPGs. I'm talking the Suikodens, the BoFs, Chrono Trigger, the Lufias, some of the Final Fantasies, Xenogears, hell Super Mario RPG was great.

You didn't get quality western RPGs until 2000 and beyond with Diablo 2, Deus Ex, and the BioWare games.

Clearly for me, the current state of jRPGs and with the innovation of wRPGs, the western stuff is better now.

However, I'm not sure it's possible to argue that western RPGs were better in the 90's. I mean, what games were there? The only good games I can think of are Fallout and Diablo 1. Those two games against the entire field of jRPGs at the time? Am I missing anything?
Nightowl
Remember when I actually used to make games? Me neither.
There was Elder Scrolls: Arena and Daggerfall during the late 90s, but I'm not sure if they were good. Daggerfall was pretty overwhelming with its insanely huge world.
author=Sauce
However, I'm not sure it's possible to argue that western RPGs were better in the 90's. I mean, what games were there? The only good games I can think of are Fallout and Diablo 1. Those two games against the entire field of jRPGs at the time? Am I missing anything?

There were some of the Infinity Engine games. (Baldur's Gate, Planescape Torment are apparently the only one that came out in the 90s). For earlier in the decade there was also the "Gold Box" series. A number of Ultima games also appeared in the 90s.

Of course back then there wasn't as much overlap between computer players and console players. For example I was mostly a console player in the 90s which means that I too have little memories of these games but I know that for example the "Gold Box" series is something that loads of people have nostalgic memories of.
Short list of awesome wRPGs from the 90's:

Eye of the Beholder
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Dark Queen of Krynn
Baldur's Gate
Planescape: Torment
Diablo
Ultima Underworld
Ultima Underworld 2
Pool of Radiance
Daggerfall
Betrayal at Krondor
Return to Krondor
Albion
Shadowrun
Fallout
Fallout 2
Ultima Online
Everquest
Legacy of Kain

There are probably more, as I am just going from memory off of the games I played.
Hmm. Trueology. I guess it goes to the separation of console and PC gamers back then.
JRPGs, though I admit my knowledge of WRPGs is lacking.

When I was probably about 10, I played Earthbound on SNES and that kicked off a JRPG obsession that still holds today. For some reason I just never played games on the PC, though, so I missed out on things like the earlier Fallouts and Elder Scrolls, etc.

Nowadays I've played and enjoyed games like Fallout 3 and Skyrim but I'd still go with JRPGs. I'm a story guy, mostly, and one thing that kinda bothers me in some WRPGs is when there's no sense of urgency. Having a big world to explore is cool and all, but it also kinda takes away from the plot. "Hey we need your help defeating this evil demon! ....but take your time getting there. No rush."
Pages: first prev 123 last