RMNV4.4 FIRST ROUND OF UPDATES PROMOTED

Pages: first 1234 next last
Like I mentioned a month ago, work on RMNv44 started and the first round of updates have been promoted last night (thanks ankylo!)

Dev Portal
http://rpgmaker.net/portal/development/

This is the probably the biggest change. I revamped the dev portal to be more dynamic. I added a new feature too - feedback images. In your game profile, you can flag an image as Looking for Feedback? and that will cause it to show up in the list of images at the top of the dev portal.

I mean, all images are implicitly looking for feedback, but this is an extra thing to say "hey, I really need advice on this".

We'll trial run this change, and if it works out, I'll also include these images in the GD&D forum.

I've also merged the ENGINE portal into the Dev portal, since it was superfluous now.

Roles for 'Others' on Gameprofile
For users you've listed as Other on your gameprofile, you can assign them a custom title. Useful if you want to say that X person did scripting for you, or whatnot. Also, Testers and Others now get 25% of the gameprofile's makerscore value.

RMN Store
http://rpgmaker.net/store/

You can check out RMN's vendor affiliate program items here. I hated having to use the forums for this, so I made a place for me to put the store items.

Dudesoft maybe wanted to sell RMN T-shirts from there, too, and that's totally something I'd support. I only have 3 items in there now, but I'll be adding the rest shortly.

Episodic games
I've implemented a rudimentary system for supporting episodic game profiles. Still haven't touched reviews yet.

There are still a few more things I want to implement for RMNv4.4, but I wanted these things out the door sooner rather than later, so here they are.

I also probably forgot a few things that I've added... oh well.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
New development portal is a step in the right direction, I think. In the future, I think I'd like to see a lot of the front page content moved there. I think I'd keep featured game and all the game spots, featured videos/articles/pic of the moment, and buzzing and highly rated games, or games otherwise flagged as notable. Maybe latest reviews/articles too.

Most of the rest (random screenshots, latest blogs, tutorials, newest games, latest downloads) I would probably move to the development portal. That way the front page can serve as a representation for the great stuff we want visitors to be able to find easily (namely, the good games!) and the development portal be for developers to track down tutorials, post blogs, and the like.

Just my opinion, of course.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Wahoo! My ideas are one step closer to domination...
Blobofgoo
Legs are a burden. Return to snek.
You did forget something - RMN TV. How does that work exactly? Does it just pull any videos from anywhere on the site when they're posted?

Glad to see the changes, I agree with soli.
I was gonna ask for that developer specification option a long time ago. Good thing it happened:D This site just keeps getting better and better.
author=Ljink
I was gonna ask for that developer specification option a long time ago. Good thing it happened:D This site just keeps getting better and better.
This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

That, or the rye and coke I am drinking does.

Nope, definitely the comment.

Thanks!

author=Blobofgoo
You did forget something - RMN TV. How does that work exactly? Does it just pull any videos from anywhere on the site when they're posted?

Glad to see the changes, I agree with soli.
That's just a historical list of the videos we've featured on the frontpage. We've always had that page (just click the header) but now I put it in the menu as a link too.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
I love how this site is, honestly just keep doing what you're doing kentona. Shit seems to be working!
Welp! It could have been worse... I like how the different sections are now able to 'breath' (except for some items on the right column), but now I think there's too much misused space. - I think you can fit four or at least three items on the "Discussion Topics" section. After all there's no need for there to be more than the title of the topic and two or three lines of text.

Also, why paste an entire bulletin in there? Just the first paragraph should have been enough; That way you wouldn't have to scroll so much to get to the "The latest" section... Not to mention that said section should probably go first since it seems more relevant to the community at large (the articles are, at least), unlike the bulletins for being engine-specific.

Fakedit: Now that the axing of the "Engines" portal has left some space in the main bar, you should totally put the Store up there.

Edit: And now let's get the 'Screenshots' section full! It looks a little sad empty like that... And let's spread some tough love too! x)
Do you really think Store should be its own navigation bar link?

author=alterego
And now let's get the 'Screenshots' section full! It looks a little sad empty like that... And let's spread some tough love too! x)
yes plz
I got on here and thought something looked weird... and then I realized the Engine Portal's gone! I don't think the Store should have it's own nav. bar link but you should put something important there. It feels weird looking at the bar and seeing the big empty space...
I've never clicked Development for any reason other than morbid curiosity.
This has been recently changed!
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Clearly, Donate needs its own main button on the nav bar.

I thought marking an image as For Feedback would make it not appear on your game profile. Wasn't that kind of the whole point, to let people get feedback without having the bad images full of comments about how bad they are visible to people thinking about trying out their game? Is it a bug that they're still showing up on the game page, or did you change it on purpose? (It seems that if all the images for an entire game are marked as For Feedback, the game's images section will say it has no images, but otherwse they show up on the game's images section.)
it might be a bug, or I might have missed modifying the relevant piece of code. I'll check it out.
Sailerius
did someone say angels
Awesome. Thanks for the much-needed improvements to episodic game support.
author=Dyhalto
I've never clicked Development for any reason other than morbid curiosity.
This has been recently changed!
Yes, I recently changed it!

author=Sailerius
Awesome. Thanks for the much-needed improvements to episodic game support.
Enjoy.
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
author=Solitayre
New development portal is a step in the right direction, I think. In the future, I think I'd like to see a lot of the front page content moved there. I think I'd keep featured game and all the game spots, featured videos/articles/pic of the moment, and buzzing and highly rated games, or games otherwise flagged as notable. Maybe latest reviews/articles too.

Most of the rest (random screenshots, latest blogs, tutorials, newest games, latest downloads) I would probably move to the development portal. That way the front page can serve as a representation for the great stuff we want visitors to be able to find easily (namely, the good games!) and the development portal be for developers to track down tutorials, post blogs, and the like.
Just my opinion, of course.
Definitely, especially since "good' is a relative judgment. I must say I really like how the current front page shows all that's new and notable right up front, letting people see the "pulse" of the community easily and encouraging participation, as well as providing a sense of energetic action. By contrast, the dev version as of this moment has a great deal of text and very few pictures, giving it a dry, scholarly feel instead of a vibrant one.
Well, for one thing, people need to add more pictures for feedback! It looks better when it is full.

And we'll get there with the Dev portal.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Kentona, if you do make it so marking an image as For Feedback prevents it from being shown on your games profile, a tooltip indicating that this is the case would be very helpful, since right now there's no way to know that and it's not really obvious. I do think it would be a good thing to do, but it needs to be clear that that's what you're doing when you check the box. (I say this after a discussion with someone who didn't understand what it was and moved their entire game's worth of old screenshots to For Feedback.)
BurningTyger
Hm i Wonder if i can pul somethi goff here/
My apologies, Ken, I mistook its current state for a new design philosophy. You know what they say, "never show half-finished work to a fool." Not that I'm a fool, mind you . . .

See, I'd say that feedback requests and caching of old items should be completely separate. Perhaps ,similar to Youtube's treatment of negative votes, links to reviews could be laid out in a tree, with all but the most recent (Within 6 months) minimized. Having them automatically organized by date would present reviews of the most up-to-date (And hopefully most functional)versions to the viewer while preventing developers from cherry-picking reviews.

However, instead of feedback being connected to the above, allow people to show whether they're actively requesting feedback. For example, if I checked the "request feedback" box when submitting a screenshot, an icon- say a slip of paper marked with a green F -would appear next to it on the front and game pages, indicating a request for feedback. When I decided I'd had enough, I'd go to the image page and clear the box, removing the notification.
Kentona, it would be have been good if you can increase the no. of episodes that I can choose. Right now, it's only from 0 to 9. And I would like to try out the episodic format, but well, the game I'm translating has much more than 9 episodes...
Pages: first 1234 next last